Author: Tobiloba Kolawole

  • UK PM Boris Johnson admitted to intensive care

    UK PM Boris Johnson admitted to intensive care

    UK’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to intensive care on Monday April 6 2020, days after he went into self isolation since testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson’s Downing Street Office said “Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.”

    Officials also noted that the Foreign Minister, Dominique Raab is to take over Mr. Johnson’s duties where necessary.

    The government explained that Johnson was transferred in case there was a need for him to use a ventilator.

    The PM was admitted to London’s St Thomas’ Hospital last Sunday having developed a temperature and a cough. He tested positive for coronavirus on March 27, making him the highest ranked world leader to have contracted the disease that is rapidly spreading across the world.

    Johnson who is 55 years old had been in self-isolation in his Downing Street apartment until Sunday evening when he was moved to a state owned hospital on the advice of his doctor.

    When questions were raised about whether Prime Minister Johnson could still run the country, government officials explained that the move was only a precautionary step.

    At the initial stage and as the virus spread, the British Government refused to order that its citizens stay at home like the country’s European counterparts did.

    The Prime Minister who only ordered a nationwide lockdown 2 weeks ago had in early march said that he was still shaking hands with people.

    It is now feared that the UK might be heading towards a serious outbreak with over 50,000 cases and more than 5,000 deaths recorded so far. The daily death rate is now put at 439.

    Other high profile leaders in the UK who had been infected with the disease are Health Secretary, Matt Hancock and Heir to the throne, Prince Charles. They have both recovered.

    On Sunday night, the Queen, Elizabeth II made a rare public address that evoked the spirit of World War II. In her remarkable speech, she urged Britons to stay unified.

    “We will be with our friends again, we will be with our families again, we will meet again,” she said.

  • Rape Threat: Nigerian Army arrests soldiers

    Rape Threat: Nigerian Army arrests soldiers

    The Nigerian Army has arrested two of its soldiers who threatened to rape women in Delta State in a viral video.

    The media had reported that two soldiers in the 26 seconds viral video claimed that residents of Warri, Delta State killed a soldier last Thursday, which was day two of the coronavirus lockdown ordered by the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa. The video also revealed how the two rogue soldiers threatened to attack women in Warri as a revenge for an unconfirmed and unproven killing of a Soldier.

    The video threat came hours after some soldiers killed a 28-year old man on Thursday leading to a faceoff between security officers and residents of the area. The soldiers were said to be members of a team deployed to the area to enforce the stay-at-home order by the State Government to combat the ravaging coronavirus.

    Meanwhile, the Delta State Police Command has confirmed that the deceased, identified as Joseph Pessu, was shot dead by soldiers. The Police also confirmed that no soldier was killed in Delta.

    In the viral video, one of the rogue soldiers wearing a military camouflage could be heard saying in Pidgin English “Warri people, una don buy job! Una kill soldier, baa?

    “Your mother…. I’ll make sure she carry HIV! Your daughters will carry HIV, your wives will carry HIV!”

    The Police Command in Delta described the video as detestable adding that it is much of a video the deadly Boko Haram terrorist group could have produced. They however assured residents that the incident is under investigation.

    The Nigerian Army on Friday, posted on its official Twitter page stating that the soldiers in the video have been arrested at 9 Brigade Ikeja Military Cantonment Lagos.

    The post read – “The general public should be assured that the investigations will be swift and fair in accordance with applicable military laws. The outcome of the investigations will determine the most appropriate disciplinary measures that can be taken in the circumstances.”

    The Army did not disclose the rank or identity of the soldiers but stated that they are being investigated.

  • Lockdown: Delta tasks Military over alleged killing of 28-year old

    Lockdown: Delta tasks Military over alleged killing of 28-year old

    The Delta State Government has called for investigation to unravel what led to the alleged killing of a 28-year old man by security agents in Warri.

    According to a statement issued on Thursday by the commissioner for Information, Charles Aniagwu, the state government said it is worried about the incident.

    While the government decried the alleged killing of the victim by security operatives, Aniagwu enjoined residents to remain calm.

    The Commissioner stated that a state government delegation has been instructed to visit the home of the deceased and condole with the family.

    Aniagwu added that military authorities have been tasked with conducting an investigation into the matter.

    On Thursday, day two of the lockdown order by the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, news had broke out that military operatives deployed to enforce the restriction had shot down the victim in Ugbuwangue community in Warri South Local Government Area (LGA) of the State.

    The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Onome Onovwakpoyeya confirmed the killing. She said “yes, it is true, it just happened today, as I was told”, she however noted that details of the incident were still unclear

  • Queen of Waka, Salawa exposes blackmailer who threatened with nudes

    Queen of Waka, Salawa exposes blackmailer who threatened with nudes

    Veteran Nigerian singer Queen Salawa Abeni has exposed an unidentified individual for threatening to upload her nude pictures on the internet.

    The 58 years old waka musician, who came to lime light in 1976 with a debut album titled Late General Murtala Ramat Mohammed took to her verified Instagram page to condemn at attempt to blackmail her for money.

    Salawa, whose debut album became the first recording by a female artist to sell over a million copies in Nigeria had revealed the blackmail on Wednesday April 1, 2020.

    She wrote “I am very disappointed that someone somewhere will try to tarnish my image and threaten to destroy my career of over 45 years. This morning, I received messages from somebody threatening to expose very old pictures of me and in the process, blackmailing me for money.”

    She noted that the pictures which the alleged blackmailer claimed to possess could have been taken while on hospital bed or with her partner many years ago.

    The queen of Waka pleaded with Nigerians to be careful stating that “our current situation has made people very desperate. I am almost 60 years old, I have worked very hard and made a name for myself for somebody to believe that they can threaten and trample on my feelings, this is very sad.”

    Salawa explained that she had uploaded the pictures herself for everyone to see so as not to be bullied by a blackmailer.

    “Thank you and God bless you! For you the blackmailer, I refuse to be bullied by you as I’m sure that I’m old enough to be your MOTHER!!, “ she added.

    Meanwhile, prominent Nigerians who responded to the call-out have encouraged and praised the Waka crooner for daring to be bold and not yield to intimidation by faceless elements.

    Celebrity publisher, Dele Momodu wrote “Blackmailers are usually COWARDS… Well my very dear @officialsalawaabeni”.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-b1PRop_d4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

    In their reactions, celebrated Nollywood thespians Ajoke Silva and Mercy Aigbe wrote respectively- “Well done girl. You took the power away from the fool” and “Now this is how you do it….. Respect ma! You are an epitome of strength! A Queen in all ramifications! Nothing and no one can bring you down! Sending you lots of love ma.”

    In a show of respect and love for Abeni, others advised that the phone number of the faceless individual be reported to the authorities for investigation in a bid to make the blackmailer face the wrath of the law.