26.9 C
Lagos
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Header1
Home Blog Page 17

Former Governor El-Rufai Pleads Not Guilty in New Wiretapping Case

0

Reporting by **The Punch** indicates that the former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, has entered a “not guilty” plea in a fresh legal battle involving allegations of wiretapping. The case has expanded to include charges of interference with national infrastructure, adding another layer of complexity to the ongoing legal scrutiny of his administration.

The prosecution alleges that unauthorized interceptions occurred during his tenure, potentially compromising sensitive communications. El-Rufai’s legal team has dismissed the charges as politically motivated, setting the stage for a high-profile courtroom showdown that has captured the attention of the nation’s political elite.

**Daily Post** reported that “the former governor appeared calm in court as the new charges were read,” while **Leadership** noted that “stakeholders are watching to see if this case will set a precedent for digital privacy laws in Nigeria.”

**Echotitbits take:** This case is as much about politics as it is about law. As the 2027 election cycle begins to heat up, legal battles involving “heavyweights” like El-Rufai will likely be viewed through a partisan lens by the public.

Source: Leadership – https://leadership.ng/alleged-wiretapping-el-rufai-pleads-not-guilty-to-amended-charges/, April 24, 2026

Photo credit: Leadership

Inline1

Airlines Warn of Imminent Shutdown Over N3,300 Aviation Fuel Crisis

0

Figures cited by **The Sun** show that the Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) are locked in a heated dispute with fuel marketers over the skyrocketing price of Jet A1 fuel. The AON claims that marketers are engaging in “artificial scarcity and price manipulation,” with some operators allegedly being charged as much as N3,300 per litre—a figure marketers have dismissed as exaggerated.

Prof. Obiora Okonkwo, the AON spokesperson, warned that if the situation is not resolved by the end of the weekend, several domestic airlines may be forced to ground their fleets by Monday. In contrast, the Major Energies Marketers Association of Nigeria (MEMAN) insists that cheaper fuel is available and that recent price hikes are purely a result of supply chain disruptions caused by Middle East tensions.

**Channels TV** reported that the “AON is at its last breath,” while **Daily Post** noted that “marketers have denied claims of manipulation, citing global logistics costs.”

**Echotitbits take:** A shutdown of domestic flights would paralyze business travel and further strain the economy. This is a classic “he-said-she-said” situation, but the government likely needs to step in as a mediator before the “Monday deadline” grounded flights.

Source: Arise – https://www.arise.tv/jet-fuel-talks-deadlocked-as-airlines-warn-of-shutdown-within-seven-days/, April 24, 2026

Photo credit: Arise

Inline1

Insurgents Kill 18 Farmers and Woodcutters in Borno State

0

According to reporting by **Channels TV**, suspected Boko Haram insurgents launched a deadly attack on Thursday in the Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State. The victims, primarily farmers and firewood sellers, were clearing farmlands in preparation for the upcoming rainy season when they were ambushed by the terrorists.

Local sources confirmed that 18 bodies have been recovered so far, though several other people remain missing. This attack underscores the persistent security threats facing agricultural workers in the Northeast, even as the government continues to encourage a return to farming to boost food security and curb inflation.

**The Punch** reported that “security forces have been deployed to the area to track the attackers,” while **Daily Post** quoted a local official saying, “the loss of these hardworking citizens is a blow to our local food production efforts.”

**Echotitbits take:** Attacks on farmers at the start of the planting season are particularly damaging to the economy. If the military cannot secure the “food belt” of the North, food inflation—which the government claims is falling—could see a sharp reversal in the coming months.

Source: Daily Post – https://dailypost.ng/2026/04/24/twenty-killed-in-fresh-boko-haram-attack-on-borno-community/, April 24, 2026

Photo credit: Daily Post

Inline1

Aviation Minister Storms Riyadh to Renegotiate Hajj Airlift Terms

0

In an update published by **The Guardian**, the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, has engaged in high-level talks with Saudi Arabian authorities in Riyadh. The mission aims to review the existing Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA) and the 2015 Memorandum of Understanding to ensure more favorable conditions for Nigerian carriers during the 2026 Hajj operations.

The negotiations focus on securing better slot allocations for Nigerian airlines and adjusting the sharing formula for transporting pilgrims between the two nations. Keyamo emphasized that the goal is to enhance operational efficiency and reduce the logistical hurdles that have plagued previous exercises, ensuring a smoother journey for the thousands of Nigerians expected to perform the pilgrimage.

**Vanguard** noted that “Keyamo’s visit is a strategic move to protect domestic airline interests,” while **ThisDay** reported that “Saudi authorities have expressed willingness to review the airlift sharing formula.”

**Echotitbits take:** Airlifting pilgrims is a massive logistical and financial undertaking. If Keyamo secures a better deal for local carriers, it won’t just help the pilgrims; it will provide a much-needed liquidity boost to Nigeria’s struggling domestic aviation industry.

Source: The Guardian – https://guardian.ng/news/keyamo-saudis-transport-minister-plan-basa-review/, April 24, 2026

Photo credit: The Guardian

Inline1

Chelsea Sacks Liam Rosenior After Record-Low Run

0

An article by Sports Illustrated confirms that Chelsea FC has parted ways with manager Liam Rosenior after only 106 days in charge. The decision comes after the London club sank to what is being described as a “114-year low” in domestic form, leaving the Blues in a precarious position in the Premier League.

Rosenior, who was brought in to provide a fresh tactical approach, struggled to find consistency with a bloated squad. The club’s leadership reportedly felt a change was necessary to avoid a disastrous finish to the season. The hunt for a “big character” to lead the locker room has already begun, with several high-profile names being linked to the vacancy at Stamford Bridge.

The sacking marks yet another chapter of instability for Chelsea under their current ownership. Fans have expressed frustration with the frequent managerial turnovers, while analysts point to a lack of clear sporting direction as the root cause of the club’s decline.

The Guardian reported that “Chelsea players want a new manager who can command respect,” highlighting the internal discord at the club. CBS Sports added that “the Rosenior nightmare has ended,” but noted that “the door remains open in the Premier League race” for Chelsea’s rivals to capitalize on their chaos.

**Echotitbits take:** Chelsea is officially the “Sucking Chaos” of European football right now. Sacking a manager after 100 days suggests the problem isn’t the bench, it’s the boardroom. Expect a “safe” veteran appointment next, as the owners cannot afford to gamble on another “project” manager.

Source: BBC — https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c9d4w8032vno April 22, 2026

Photo Credit: Reuters

Inline1

Adekunle Gold Taps Olamide and Simi for “Fuji Xtra”

0

In a post shared by @adekunlegold on Instagram, the Nigerian superstar announced the upcoming release of his deluxe album titled “FUJI XTRA.” The project, set to drop on May 8, features a star-studded lineup including his wife Simi, his former label boss Olamide, and rising star TML Vibez.

The announcement has sent ripples through the Afrobeats community, particularly the reunion with Olamide, who signed Gold to YBNL years ago. Gold, who has successfully transitioned from “highlife king” to a global pop brand, appears to be returning to his roots with a modern twist on the Fuji genre.

The inclusion of Simi on the project also continues the couple’s tradition of musical collaboration, which remains a fan favorite. Gold has been teasing a new sonic direction for months, and “FUJI XTRA” is positioned as the definitive statement of this new era, blending traditional Yoruba percussion with contemporary production.

Nigerian Entertainment Today reported that the project is “one of the most anticipated deluxes of the year,” noting the significance of the Olamide feature. Daily Post Nigeria added that “the collaboration with Simi and TML Vibez adds a unique layer to the Fuji-inspired project,” while quoting fans who are “eager to see the YBNL chemistry again.”

**Echotitbits take:** Returning to Fuji sounds is a smart move as the global “Afrobeats bubble” faces a slight correction. By doubling down on a sound that is authentically Nigerian but polished for a global audience, AG Baby is securing his core base while offering something fresh to international listeners.

Source: AlbumTalk — https://albumtalks.com/adekunle-gold-postpones-forthcoming-deluxe-album-fuji-xtra/, April 23, 2026

Photo Credit: AlbumTalk

Inline1

Qing Madi Slams Former Label Over Music Removal

0

According to a report by Nigerian Entertainment Today, Afrobeats sensation Qing Madi has publicly accused her former record label, JTon Music, of attempting to sabotage her career. The singer alleged that the label deliberately pulled her hit single “Pepper Me,” featuring Zinoleesky, from Spotify as part of an escalating legal battle.

The “Ole” crooner expressed frustration over what she describes as a targeted effort to destroy her momentum. This development follows a reported $1 million lawsuit filed against the artist by the label. Madi has been a rising star in the Nigerian music scene, and this friction marks a significant hurdle in her transition to independence.

The dispute highlights the ongoing tension between young Nigerian talents and the labels that provide their initial platforms. While the singer remains vocal on social media about her grievances, the label has maintained a legalistic approach to the fallout. Fans have rallied behind the artist, though the track’s absence from major playlists continues to affect her streaming numbers.

The Daily Post Nigeria corroborated the friction, noting that the “paternity scandal and legal disputes” currently rocking the industry have shifted focus toward artist rights, while a separate report on Legit.ng confirmed the “Pepper Me” removal, quoting fans who noticed the track’s disappearance early Wednesday. In a statement on their platform, Daily Post highlighted that “tensions have reached a boiling point,” while Legit.ng reported that “music enthusiasts are reacting to the sudden loss of the hit track on major platforms.”

**Echotitbits take:** This is a classic “David vs. Goliath” scenario that is becoming all too common in the Afrobeats industry. If JTon Music successfully keeps her catalog offline during the lawsuit, it could stall Madi’s breakout year. Watch for a potential out-of-court settlement, as prolonged litigation often hurts the label’s reputation more than the artist’s.

Source: Arise — https://www.arise.tv/qing-madi-says-former-label-removed-her-song-from-spotify/, April 22, 2026

Photo Credit: Arise

Inline1

PalmPay Hits 35 Million Users as Digital Finance Competition Toughens

0

Figures cited by **Vanguard** show that fintech giant PalmPay has surpassed 35 million users in Nigeria, further cementing its role in the country’s digital finance ecosystem. The company attributes its rapid growth to its low-latency payment infrastructure and a massive network of physical agents that bridge the gap for the unbanked population.

The milestone comes at a time when traditional banks and newer “neo-banks” are engaged in a fierce battle for market share. PalmPay’s expansion into credit services and bill payments has made it a primary tool for millions of Nigerians navigating the transition away from a cash-heavy economy.

**The Punch** noted that “fintechs are outpacing traditional banks in retail reach,” while **TechPoint Africa** reported that “PalmPay is deepening financial inclusion in rural Nigeria.”

**Echotitbits take:** 35 million users is roughly a third of Nigeria’s adult population. PalmPay’s success shows that speed and “zero-fail” transactions are what Nigerians value most in the current economy—something traditional banks are still struggling to provide.

Source: The Punch – https://punchng.com/palmpay-grows-user-base-to-35-million/, April 23, 2026

Photo credit: The Punch

Inline1

Hayatu-Deen Joins 2027 Presidential Race Under ADC Banner

0

According to reporting by **Daily Post**, prominent banker and economist Mohammed Hayatu-Deen has officially declared his intention to run for the presidency in 2027. He has chosen the African Democratic Congress (ADC) as his platform, joining a growing list of heavyweights like Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi who are already positioning themselves for the next electoral cycle.

Hayatu-Deen stated that his decision was born out of the “deepening strain” on the Nigerian populace and the urgent need for technocratic leadership. He argues that his background in the private sector and economic management makes him uniquely qualified to navigate the country out of its current fiscal challenges.

**Tribune** confirmed the declaration, noting “Hayatu-Deen joins the race to steady Nigeria,” while **The Guardian** mentioned that “the ADC is positioning itself as the main third-force alternative for 2027.”

**Echotitbits take:** The 2027 race is heating up surprisingly early. Hayatu-Deen’s entry suggests that the “technocrat” appeal is still strong, but he will need to prove he has the grassroots reach to compete with the traditional political machines.

Source: The Punch – https://punchng.com/hayatu-deen-joins-adc-presidential-race-vows-unity-economic-reset/t, April 23, 2026

Photo credit: The Punch

Inline1

Presidency Unveils N25 Trillion Pension Fund Strategy for National Development

0

Figures cited by **Vanguard** show that the Federal Government is preparing to leverage a N25 trillion “pension war chest” to drive massive infrastructure and economic projects. President Bola Tinubu revealed the plan during a high-level briefing, suggesting that the accumulated funds could be the key to breaking Nigeria’s reliance on foreign debt for capital development.

The strategy involves creating secure investment vehicles that allow pension fund administrators to put money into high-yield national assets like toll roads, power plants, and rail networks. The administration maintains that this “internal borrowing” will be managed with strict safeguards to ensure that the primary retirement benefits of Nigerian workers are never at risk.

**The Punch** noted that “Tinubu seeks to unlock pension assets for growth,” while **Channels TV** reported that “labor unions are demanding strict transparency on the fund’s usage.”

**Echotitbits take:** Using pension funds for infrastructure is common globally, but in Nigeria, trust is the major hurdle. The government must prove that these investments are not just a way to plug budget deficits but are actual revenue-generating assets that will grow the retirement pot.

Source: Vanguard – https://www.vanguardngr.com/2026/04/tinubu-unveils-n25trn-pension-war-chest/, April 23, 2026

Photo credit: Vanguard

Inline1