Tag: Buhari-led Government

  • Buhari-led Government Approves 5for5 Demand of #EndSARS Protesters

    Buhari-led Government Approves 5for5 Demand of #EndSARS Protesters

    The Federal Government of Nigeria has on Tuesday approved the five-point, otherwise known as 5for5 demand of youths who have been protesting extortion, extra-judicial killings and brutality perpetrated by the Nigerian Police Force (NPF), especiay it’s notoriously perceived tactical unit, the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS).

    The approval was made known by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, who disclosed this in a statement titled, ‘Presidential panel on police reforms swings into action, plays 5-point demand of protesters.

    Adesina said the Presidential Panel on the Reform of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad has approved the five-point demands put forward by youths that have been protesting across the country.

    He said following directives by President Muhammadu Buhari, on the dissolution of SARS, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, convened a meeting with stakeholders, agreeing to meet demands.

    He said the demands acceded to included halting use of force against protesters and unconditional release of arrested citizens.

    According to the presidential spokesman, the meeting, organised by the Office of the Inspector General of Police and National Human Rights Commission, was a multi-stakeholders’ forum attended by leaders and representatives of civil society organisations in Nigeria, activists from the entertainment industry and the #EndSARS movement and development partners.

    He said the Ministry of Police Affairs and Police Service Commission were also present at the meeting that affirmed that the five-point demands of the protesters and the #EndSARS movement are genuine concerns and will be addressed by the government.

    He quoted a communiqué of the meeting signed by the IGP and Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, as, “Following the public protests regarding various forms of human rights violations by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and the consequent disbandment of the unit by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, there arose the need for stakeholder engagement to build trust and restore public confidence in law enforcement.

    “The agitations also brought to the fore, the need to implement the recommendations of the Presidential Panel on the Reform of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

    “The Forum was addressed by the Inspector General of Police and the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission.

    “The Forum collectively: welcomed the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu; reaffirmed the constitutional rights of Nigerians to peaceful assembly and protest; further affirmed the sanctity of life of every Nigerian and the role of the Police in protecting this right; affirms that the five-point demands of the protesters and the ENDSARS movement are genuine concerns and will be addressed by the government.’’

    Adesina added that the forum noted that the dissolution of SARS presents an opportunity to embark on comprehensive reforms aimed at repositioning the Nigerian Police Force as a modern, responsive and citizens-centred law enforcement organisation.

  • Buhari’s Aide Attacks Those Condemning Labour Unions for Suspending Industrial Action

    Buhari’s Aide Attacks Those Condemning Labour Unions for Suspending Industrial Action

    The President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government has condemned those attacking the organised labour unions for calling off the proposed industrial action originally scheduled to take place on September 28 as enemies of Nigeria’s progress and development.

    The Presidency argued that since the organised labour toed the path of honour last week, seeing reason with the imperatives of fuel price adjustment, and opening a further window of dialogue on the service based electricity tariff, some groups of Nigerians have been “dolorous, disgruntled, and disconsolate.”

    The Buhari administration also descried some other Nigerians who have expressed disappointment at the labour unions’ bipartite agreement as “bitter-enders,” who have remained entrenched in pre-2015 and 2019 elections mode.

    “Since organised labour toed the path of sense and sensibility last week, seeing reason with the imperatives of fuel price adjustment, and opening a further window of dialogue on the service based electricity tariff, some groups of Nigerians have been dolorous, disgruntled, and disconsolate.

    “They had apparently perfected plans to use the strike by the labour unions as smokescreen to unleash anarchy on the land, fomenting mayhem and civil disobedience. But the plan blew up in their faces, and they have been in severe pains since then. They have launched series of tirades against organised labour.

    “For some interest groups, their intention was to use the umbrella of the strike to further their whimsical and pie-in-the-sky dream of a revolution in the country. It went bust in their faces.

    “For some others, Bitter-Enders, who have remained entrenched in pre-2015 and 2019 elections mode, it was opportunity to avenge the 2012 Occupy Nigeria protests, which they believe largely devalued the government of the day, and led to its eventual ouster in 2015.

    “The strike that was to have come up last week, they wanted to use as opportunity for a pound of flesh, which they calculated would weaken the government so much, and influence the 2023 elections. For them, it was all about hanker for power, its trappings and appurtenances. Nothing about love of country. They have since then been calling organised labour all sorts of names, claiming they deceived Nigerians.

    “The times in which we live-with severe security, economic and social challenges-call for all hands to be on deck, and goodwill and support for government, as it strives to put the nation on an even keel. We commend organised labour for putting the country first.

    “Those sponsoring and encouraging discord and anarchy, either for selfish ends, or as revenge for perceived injuries, are enemies of the country. Nigerians are urged to beware of them, as the Muhammadu Buhari government is only interested in engendering better quality of life for the citizenry. Nothing more,” said a statement by Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina.

    Idowu Sowunmi