Tag: EndSARS Protest

  • #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Clarifies Position on Exercise Crocodile Smile VI

    #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Clarifies Position on Exercise Crocodile Smile VI

    Nigerian Army weekend decided to ‘soro soke,’ saying the newly-launched Exercise Crocodile Smile VI has nothing to do with the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country.

    The Army, in a statement by its Acting Director, Public Relations, Sagir Musa, described the exercise as a yearly event set out to train officers and men to ensure safety and security of Nigeria and its citizens.

    He said this year’s exercise has been scheduled to commence on October 20 till December 31, adding that it has no relationship with any lawful protest under any guise whatsoever.

    He warned people to desist from insinuating that “it is an exercise meant to stifle the ongoing #EndSARS protest,” saying any attempt to do so would only lead to “sheer misinformation.”

    According to him, “It is a yearly exercise in the Army Calendar/Forecast of Events which traditionally holds from October to December of each year.

    “So far, the Army has acted professionally since the civil protest started over two weeks ago.

    “The Army hereby enjoins all law-abiding Nigerians to go about their lawful activities unhindered.”

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • Gov Sanwo-Olu Visits Widow of Man Shot Dead During #EndSARS Protest

    Gov Sanwo-Olu Visits Widow of Man Shot Dead During #EndSARS Protest

    To further demonstrate his heart-led leadership qualities, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, visited the widow of the driver hit by stray bullet during the last Monday demonstration by youths in Surulere for the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

    The protest ended bloody when the police attempted to disperse some of the protesters who were moving towards Anti-Cultism Police Command in the area. In the ensuing chaos, Okechukwu Iloamuazor, 55, was hit by bullet and died on the spot.

    The governor arrived at the deceased’s house at 2pm and was received by family members led by their head, Bede Enewally. The family house was enveloped in gloom as the Number One Lagos State citizen visited the grief-stricken widow, Ngozi Iloamuazor.

    Sanwo-Olu commiserated with the family over the incident, which he described as unfortunate. He said late Iloamuazor should not have died under the circumstance, but assured the family members that the perpetrators would be brought to book.

    Already, all the four policemen who opened fire on the protesters in Surulere had been identified by the government and the police authorities. They are currently undergoing orderly room trial at Lagos State Police Command.

    But, Sanwo-Olu assured that his administration would take the officers’ punishment beyond the established disciplinary guidelines of the police.

    According to him, “On behalf of Lagos State Government, and the people of Lagos, I commiserate with the family over this mindless brutality that led to the death of your son. We condemn endless killing of innocent citizens to the highest level. It is highly disheartening to learn that the victim, Mr. Iloamuazor, was performing his legitimate duty when the unfortunate incident happened. He hurt no one to have subjected to such pain death.

    “The officers involved are undergoing orderly room trial as we speak, but we will allow the police complete their investigation. We will certainly take the case out of the police and bring the full wrath of the law on the officers who perpetrated this irresponsible act. This will be clear signal for other trigger-happy officers.

    “Mr. Iloamuazor’s death is a sad loss not only for the family but to the entire citizenry that has clamoured for an end to police brutality. I assure you that his death won’t be in vain and the case will not be swept under the carpet. This is going to be the beginning of real change that people want to see in law enforcement.”

    Sanwo-Olu reiterated that his administration remained on the side of those calling for change in policing method. He said all those maimed or killed in Lagos in the course of the demonstration would be duly compensated, adding that his administration would honour their sacrifices by pushing for reforms that would bring about a policing system that would uphold rights of the citizens.

    He said: “As a government, we have stood on the side of the protesters and we totally believe their agitation is legitimate. We need total reform in the policing system and it is a clarion call on all of us, who are exercising powers on behalf of the citizens.”

    A policeman, Inspector Ayodeji Erinfolami, also died in the incident.

    Late Iloamuazor’s boss, Sam Okafor, who witnessed how the driver got hit by stray bullet, relived the incident.

    Okafor cleared the air that the deceased was not partaking in the protest, pointing out they were both heading to Ilupeju when they ran into the protesters in Surulere.

    “We were stuck in the traffic caused by the protesters who were shouting #EndSARS. For more than 40 minutes, there was no movement. I wound down the windshield for fresh air, while Iloamuazor got down from the car to stretch his body. After stretching, he put his both hands into his pockets and trying to figure out where the traffic started.

    “Suddenly we heard gunshot three times. The next thing I saw was Iloamuazor falling from his position. His hands remained in his pockets as he fell. I ran out of the car and screamed for help. People came and started performing all sort of things to save him. The police came to the scene and I told them my driver had been shot on the spot,” he said.

    Okafor urged the governor to ensure justice was served in the matter, noting that he was yet to be relieved of the shock.

    Enewally said Iloamuazor’s death threw the family into a state of perpetual sorrow, noting that the deceased carried several responsibilities in the family. He said the family put its trust in the governor to ensure justice was served at the end of the day.