Tag: EndSARS Protesters

  • Lekki Shooting: Survivors Tell their Story

    Lekki Shooting: Survivors Tell their Story

    Three survivors of the infamous “Lekki Shooting” allegedly involving men of the Nigerian Security Forces during a crackdown on #EndSARS protesters who defied a curfew order by the Lagos State government have recounted their experiences after days at the hospital.

    Solomon, Patrick and Samuel were wounded during the incident that became the climax of the EndSARS protest against police violence and bad governance.

    The three men, whose full names are being left anonymous for safety reasons and had been victims of police abuse in the past are desperate for their stories to be heard AFP reported.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS: Again, Lagos Further Relaxes Curfew from 10pm to 6am

    The government denies any responsibility and labeled reports that soldiers killed 12 people as “fake news”. The police on Friday said 22 officers had been killed in protest-linked unrest this month.

    “How can they say it’s not true?,” asked Patrick.

    “We saw them. Two guys died instantly in my presence, and one is still in the coma — my friend Nicholas,” said the 25-year-old demonstrator, unemployed since a lockdown in March imposed to contain the coronavirus.

    Shot in the arm — he was brandishing a flag when he came under fire — Patrick was evacuated, put on a canoe that crisscrossed the Lagos lagoon and took him to a hospital.

    “The soldiers were blocking the roads, the ambulances could not access the scene. Some were using bikes, others wheelbarrows to take the injured,” he said.

    Samuel, 30, was helping to ensure safety at the protest ground with a group of volunteers when he heard the first gunshots.

    “We saw armed, military men, so we came back to the stage and started waving our flags and singing the national anthem.”

    “I was not expecting them to shoot at us,” said the young man, who works in agriculture in the outskirts of the sprawling city.

    “I was expecting them to address us in a normal manner. But they didn’t talk to anybody, they just started shooting.”

    “All of a sudden I started feeling something hit my left thigh,” he remembered. The screen of his phone might have saved him — the bullet would have otherwise penetrated even deeper.

    In pain, he managed to walk 500 metres (yards) to find someone who could take him to hospital.

    READ ALSO:

    https://echotitbits.com/lagos-police-command-arrests-fleeing-sergeant-aiwansone-for-killing-girlfriend/

    “I saw like three people dying, but I was also injured, so I couldn’t help them. I had to help myself first.”

    It was a close call for Solomon as well. A bullet pierced his shoulder, and another grazed his neck, leaving a burn scar.

    The 38-year-old construction worker is still in shock.

    “The country doesn’t realise what happened, but for me this is not the end, this is just the beginning of the protests,” he told AFP.

    “I need a better Nigeria. This wound made me even more ready to fight; I have nothing to lose anymore”, Solomon said.

  • #Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Sanwo-Olu Distances Self, Points at Forces Beyond Control

    #Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Sanwo-Olu Distances Self, Points at Forces Beyond Control

    Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu ìn a remark posted on twitter Wednesday morning has distanced himself from the rain of bullets on unarmed peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate on the night of Tuesday October 10, 2020.

    The Governor, who earlier on Tuesday imposed curfew on the state described the incident as a night killing as “the toughest night of our lives, forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.”

    “I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.

    “It has taken me this long to make a statement because I have to prioritize the welfare of the victims of this very sad incident.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS: Lagos Police Command Bans Protest, Gathering, Procession under Whatever Guise

    “There are currently 10 patients at the General Hospital,11 at Reddington, and four at Vedic; with mild to moderate levels of injuries while Two are receiving intensive medical care, and another three patients have been discharged, and the state will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care whatsoever.

    “As the Governor of Lagos state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the Federal Government to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilise all security operations to protect the lives and livelihood of our residents.

    “Furthermore, I will give a state broadcast in the morning”, the Governor said.