Tag: Endsars

  • Lagos Police Command Says Opebi Shooting Has Nothing to Do with #EndSARS Protest

    Lagos Police Command Says Opebi Shooting Has Nothing to Do with #EndSARS Protest

    Lagos State Police Command has clarified that the shooting incident at Salvation Bus Stop in Opebi, Ikeja area of the state was not in anyway connected to the ongoing #EndSARS protest in the Centre of Excellence.

    The command, however, explained that the shooting was carried out by a police officer identified as Eze Aiwansoba, who shot his lover, Joy Eze, over unknown matter which led to disagreement.

    “At about 9.21pm of Thursday, 8th October, 2020, one Joy Eze, f, of Owonikoko Street, Idiagbon, College Road, Ogba, Lagos, was shot at the mouth by a policeman, who was later identified to be one Sergeant Eze Aiwansoba, m, attached to the Special Protection Unit, Base 16, Ikeja, Lagos State, after fierce argument between the duo who are in a relationship.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS Protest Day 3 Causes Gridlock on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Gains International Support

    “As at the time of the incident, the identity of the policeman was unknown, until the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu, ordered the Divisional Police Officer, Ikeja, to trace the whereabout of the victim, ascertain her health condition and get more information on the incident and identify the policeman for further necessary actions.

    “Based on the preliminary investigation, the said police sergeant was off duty and not issued with a police rifle or arms as at the time of the incident, hence the police’s concern on the ownership and/or possession of the arms he used in perpetrating the act.

    “The Commissioner of Police has ordered that the fleeing policeman, who is attached to another police formation within the state, be arrested by all means and made to face the consequences of his criminal act.

    READ ALSO:

    Youths Are Pivotal Actors in Achieving Peace, Sustainable Development- Lagos Youth Commissioner

    While the Commissioner of Police condemns the act, the command will not in anyway leave any stone unturned in getting justice for the victim and sustain the ethics and Standard Operating Procedure of the Nigeria Police Force; and protect the fundamental human rights of all and sundry across the state,” the command said, in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi.

    The commissioner has also appealed to all Lagosians especially protesters across the state, to maintain law and order while they embark on peaceful protests as the police would do everything possible not to infringe on their rights.

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • #EndSARS Protest Day 3 Causes Gridlock on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Gains International Support

    #EndSARS Protest Day 3 Causes Gridlock on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Gains International Support

    The #EndSARS protest against the brutality and misconduct of officers of the Nigerian Police Force, especially its tactical unit, Special Anti Robbery Squad, notoriously known as SARS again for the third day gained momentum casing massive gridlock on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

    The protesters who thronged the streets had earlier caused massive gridlock in Alausa when they marched to the State House of Assembly and their after to the Alausa section of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

    READ ALSO:

    [Video] #EndSARS: A Passer-by Rescues Youths from SARS Harassment

    Armed with placards that reinforce their demand, the protesters barricaded the highway from the Secretariat bus-stop, opposite Magodo Phase II.

    As a result of the blockage, traffic gridlock extended to the Otedola Bridge along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

    Friday witnessed thousands of protesters, they stormed the State House of Assembly to demand outright disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, over series of atrocities committed by the operatives, killing and maiming innocent citizens.

    The Lagos State Deputy Governor, Dr. Kadri Hamzat, while addressing the protesters charged the police authority to ensure it put a stop to the incessant harassment of Nigerians by some officers of the anti-robbery squad, adding that any officer of the squad found to have harassed innocent Nigerian should be arrested and prosecuted.

    ‘It’s okay to protest but I say clearly that it is wrong for any law enforcement agent to maim or criminalise another Nigerian without reasonable course. The police or the law enforcement agents must do their job. In doing that job, you cannot trample on the right of the citizens.

    “You cannot say our youths, because of their looks or they are carrying computer are guilty of a crime. The police job is to arrest people and send them for prosecution if they do something wrong. That tenets must be adhered to.

    “We are not against police fighting robbery but we are saying do not unjustifiably hurt our children because of their looks. Whoever is responsible should be arrested and prosecuted,” he said.

    The Street protests against the notorious Nigerian police unit, SARS, have caught the attention of the international community with supports from celebrities.

    On Friday, which is day 3 of the protest, the #EndSARS hashtag did not only trend in Nigeria but in the UK, Canada, and the United States.

    While protests have been taking place in at least six states in Nigeria including the FCT, the #EndSARS hashtag has remained on Twitter’s Nigeria top 10 trend table since the weekend, The Guardian reported.

    One of the many international celebrity who has shown and voiced his support for the cause was British-Nigerian actor John Boyega, just as Nigerian music stars Davido, Wizkid, Tiwa Savage, Runtown, Falz and DJ Spinal have participated in the March against the notoriously perceived SARS that have for long been accused of brutalising, harassing and extorting Nigerian youths, including extrajudicial killings.

    Popular international cyber-activists known as Anonymous, also joined in the campaign.

    In the UK a Nigerian professional athlete, who owns the first Black-owned cigar line, Mike Edwards has also called for a protest in London.

    According to a report by The Guardian Nigeria Edwards would be leading a protest to the Nigerian High Commission in London on Sunday. In support of the protest by Edward, award-winning actress, Nse Ikpe-Etim tweeted to join in the London protest.

    Similarly, plans are ongoing to kickstart #EndSARS protest in other foreign countries such as Germany, USA and Canada.

    Nigerians are protesting, yet again, after years of horror stories of brazen extortion, illegal detentions, and illegal murders of Nigerians, mostly youths, by the notorious police unit, at the hands of local police. The protesters are demanding the government to scrap the police’s notorious unit.

    READ ALSO:

    Lagos Police Command Says Opebi Shooting Has Nothing to Do with #EndSARS Protest

    The recent fury was sparked after graphic footage showing officers from the SARS police unit dragging two men from a hotel in Lagos and shooting one of them in the street.

    In the disturbing footage taken by visitors at a hotel and posted on to social media on Saturday, armed officers of the SARS can be seen dragging two limp bodies from the hotel compound into the street before one of the men is shot.

    The video has sparked a deluge of footage and stories posted on to social media alleging recent atrocities and brutality by the notorious SARS unit, long accused of rampant abuses.

    On Sunday, Nigeria’s inspector of police, Mohammed Adamu, banned SARS, and other “tactical” police units focused on armed crimes from stop and searches, from setting up roadblocks and said officers would always be uniformed.

    The governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, promised “appropriate actions will be taken, and speedily too”. According to the police, a dedicated complaints unit has in recent years improved accountability for police abuses, The Guardian Nigeria reported.
    .

  • Police Brutality: Ruggedman asks Nigerians to take advocacy beyond social media

    Police Brutality: Ruggedman asks Nigerians to take advocacy beyond social media

    By Tobiloba Kolawole.

    A Nigerian music artiste, Ugochukwu Stephens popularly known as Ruggedman has charged Nigerians, who through social media actively advocated justice for the slain Kolade Johnson, to attend the hearing of the case against the killer cop, which comes up on Monday.

    In a post he uploaded on social media, Ruggedman admonished interested persons to take the advocacy against extra judicial killings by officers of the Nigerian police force outside social media.

    The rap star who is one of the few celebrities that has lend their voices to protest the killings of Nigerians, especially youths by police wrote on his Instagram handle @ruggedybaba:

    “Forget social media brouhaha, the man that killed Kolade Johnson will be in court tomorrow at Ebute Metta. Are you all mouth and no action? All of you that have hashtagged #justiceforkolade I hope you will be in the court tomorrow morning.”

    He also noted that “revolution won’t start with you behind your keypad.”

    The hearing will hold inside Court 14 at Ebute Meta Magistrate court at 9am.

    The alleged killer, former Inspector of police, Olalekan Ogunyemi was found guilty in April at an orderly room trial conducted by the Nigerian Police Force after an outcry against the murder of Kolade Johnson in Lagos.

    At the end of the trial, the adjudicating officer, CSP Indyar Apev ruled that the accused officer, Olalekan Ogunyemi was found guilty of shooting and killing Kolade Johnson.

    Apev described Ogunyemi’s act as a discreditable conduct that is prejudicial to discipline in the Nigeria police Force.

    He said Ogunyemi is guilty of “unlawful and unnecessary exercise of authority by using unnecessary violence, by using AK 47 rifle on the deceased in total neglect to the provisions of Force Order 237 on the use of Firearms.”

    Apev described Ogunyemi’s act as a discreditable conduct that is prejudicial to discipline in the Nigeria police Force.

    He said Ogunyemi is guilty of “unlawful and unnecessary exercise of authority by using unnecessary violence, by using AK 47 rifle on the deceased in total neglect to the provisions of Force Order 237 on the use of Firearms.”