Tag: Hoodlums hijack protest

  • Inspector General of Police Deploys Anti-Riot Policemen Nationwide

    Inspector General of Police Deploys Anti-Riot Policemen Nationwide

    Following activities of suspected hoodlums who have now hijacked the peaceful EndSARS protest across Nigeria, the Inspector-General of Police Mohammed Adamu has ordered the immediate deployment of anti-riot operatives to protect lives and property as well as secure critical national infrastructure across the country.

    The order was made known in a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, on Tuesday.

    According to the statement, the IGP also ordered massive deployment of police operatives to strengthen security around Correctional facilities nationwide.

    READ ALSO:

    I’ll Not Sign off 2021 Budget Excluding Youth, ASUU Demands – Speaker, Gbajabiamila Says

    “The orders are coming on the heels of increasing attacks including acts of arson and malicious damage to public and private facilities as recorded in some States of the Federation including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

    “Consequently, the Commissioners of Police in the thirty-six (36) States of the Federation and the FCT are to identify and isolate law-breakers from peaceful protesters; immediately arrest and diligently prosecute such perpetrators of violence in their respective Commands.

    “The IGP notes that twelve (12) suspects have been arrested in connection with the attacks and arson on Police Stations in Benin, Edo State. Five (5) AK47 rifles earlier stolen from vandalized Police Stations have also been recovered.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS Protest in Ogun: Governor Abiodun Calls for Dialogue

    “The Inspector-General of Police calls on members of the public to avail the police with useful information that can lead to the re-arrest of the fleeing inmates, unlawfully released from Correctional facilities. Meanwhile, the IGP has advised parents/guardians to prevail on their children/wards to steer-clear of acts of violence and criminality as the Force will henceforth exercise the full powers of the law to prevent any further attempt on lives and property of citizens,” Mba said.

     

  • Edo Government Imposes 24-Hour Curfew

    Edo Government Imposes 24-Hour Curfew

    The Edo State Government has announced the imposition of a 24-hour curfew across the state with effect from 4:00 pm, October 19, 2020. till further notice.

    The Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Osarodion Ogie , announced the curfew, which he said is indefinite.

    According to the SSG, the imposition of the curfew was due to the incidents of vandalism and attacks carried out by hoodlums who hijacked the #ENDSARS protests.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS : Police Fire Teargas At Protesters In Abuja

    “This decision has become necessary because of the very disturbing incidents of vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums in the guise of the #ENDSARS protests.

    “While the government of Edo State respects the rights of its citizens to undertake legitimate protests, it cannot sit idly when hoodlums have taken laws into their hands to cause mayhem on innocent citizens and the state,” Ogie said.

    Following the imposed curfew, schools and businesses are to shutdown activities accordingly while those who cannot move safely are advised to stay put between now and 4:00pm till calmness is restored.

    Suspected hoodlums had earlier on Monday morning hijacked the #EndSARS Protests in Benin City.

    In a chat with Channels Television, the Special Adviser to Governor Godwin Obaseki on Media, Crusoe Osagie, disclosed that the hoodlums exchanged fire with security operatives at the Maximum prison in Benin City.

    READ ALSO:

    Again, Sanwo-Olu Begs #EndSARS Protesters, Says Let’s Leave the Road and Dialogue Accordingly

    “The hoodlums are currently exchanging fire with the security personnel at the Maximum security prison in Oko, Benin City,” Osagie told Channels Television.

    The hoodlums can be seen in videos invading the Benin Medium security prison on Sapele Road, releasing some inmates.

    Video: