Tag: investigation

  • Former Governor El-Rufai Set to Return to Nigeria and Face EFCC Inquiry

    Former Governor El-Rufai Set to Return to Nigeria and Face EFCC Inquiry

    According to Premium Times reporting in an exclusive update, Nasir El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is expected to return to Nigeria within the next 48 hours. Contrary to ongoing rumors that he was in self-imposed exile, sources close to the former governor confirm that he has already notified the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of his intention to appear at their office. He is scheduled to meet with investigators at 10 a.m. on Monday, February 16.

    The return of the high-profile politician comes amid various investigations into his eight-year tenure as governor. El-Rufai, who has recently aligned himself with the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC), has alleged that the current administration is using state institutions to exert political pressure on opposition figures. His voluntary return is seen by many as a move to clear his name and re-engage with the Nigerian political scene ahead of future electoral cycles.

    Sources indicate that the EFCC inquiry will likely center on financial allocations and urban renewal projects undertaken during his administration. El-Rufai has maintained that his actions were always in the best interest of Kaduna State and has expressed readiness to defend his record. His homecoming is expected to be a major political event, potentially shifting the dynamics within the opposition bloc.

    Validating this, The Nation reports that “security at the EFCC headquarters is being reviewed ahead of the high-profile visit.” Vanguard also confirmed the story, quoting an ADC chieftain who said, “The former governor is coming back to show that he has nothing to hide from the public.”

    Echotitbits take: El-Rufai remains one of Nigeria’s most polarizing and influential political figures. His decision to face the EFCC directly, rather than fighting from abroad, suggests a calculated strategy to reclaim his political narrative. This could be the start of a long-drawn legal and political battle.

    Source: Premium Times – https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/856066-el-rufai-im-on-my-way-back-to-nigeria.html, February 12, 2026

    Photo credit: Premium Times

  • Euracare says it has begun internal review after public dispute over child’s death

    Euracare says it has begun internal review after public dispute over child’s death

    In a statement covered by ThisDay, Euracare Multispecialist Hospital expressed sympathy to the Adichie family while disputing what it called inaccuracies circulating about the case and saying it has commenced a detailed investigation.

    The hospital said the patient was critically ill and had been referred for specific diagnostic procedures, adding it provided care in line with established clinical protocols and worked with external medical teams recommended by the family.

    The public dispute has placed Nigeria’s private healthcare accountability under a spotlight—especially around sedation protocols, monitoring, informed consent and post-incident transparency.

    Regulators and professional bodies are expected to follow developments closely as public scrutiny intensifies.

    Echotitbits take: When a high-profile case hits, the wider system learns—or repeats mistakes. Watch for independent review, regulatory clarity, and whether clinical findings are shared responsibly without breaching privacy.

    Source: ICIRNI – https://www.icirnigeria.org/lagos-orders-probe-as-euracare-reacts-to-chimamanda-adichies-allegations/ 10 January 2026

    ICIRNI 2026-01-10

    Photo Credit: ICIRNI

  • Medical-negligence allegations in Adichie case prompt calls for independent review

    Medical-negligence allegations in Adichie case prompt calls for independent review

    In a report carried by The Guardian Nigeria, sources familiar with the case said the child was taken to a private facility in Victoria Island for tests requested by an overseas medical team, before the situation deteriorated and allegations of negligence surfaced.

    The dispute has generated public calls for transparent, independent review—not only internal hospital processes—so findings can inform patient safety standards without compromising privacy.

    Healthcare professionals stress that sedation and monitoring protocols must be consistent and audit-ready, especially in high-risk paediatric cases.

    As public attention grows, regulators and professional bodies may face pressure to communicate clearly and act quickly where breaches are established.

    Echotitbits take: Nigeria needs credible clinical governance—facts, timelines, accountability. Watch for an independent panel (or regulator-led) review and whether recommendations become enforceable standards.

    Source: Vanguard – https://www.vanguardngr.com/2026/01/alleged-medical-negligence-sanwo-olu-orders-probe-into-chimamanda-adichies-sons-death/#google_vignette 10 January 2026

    Vanguard 2026-01-10

    Photo Credit: Vanguard

  • South Africa joins global condolences after deadly fire in Crans-Montana, Switzerland

    South Africa joins global condolences after deadly fire in Crans-Montana, Switzerland

    South Africa joins global condolences after deadly fire in Crans-Montana, Switzerland

    In a message distributed via Africa Newsroom, President Cyril Ramaphosa expressed condolences to Switzerland following a deadly fire in Crans-Montana during New Year’s period.

    The statement frames the tragedy as a shared human loss, aligning South Africa with other international voices supporting grieving families and the Swiss public.

    Such incidents often trigger wider scrutiny around venue compliance, crowd control, evacuation planning, and enforcement—issues that resonate far beyond Europe.

    The Presidency’s statement includes the line “stand in solidarity” with Switzerland. The Financial Times, reporting on the investigation, cited officials pointing to sparklers and described it as a catastrophe with “40 deaths” and significant injuries.

    Echotitbits take:
    Large-scale fires are rarely “just accidents”—they expose enforcement gaps. Watch the investigation’s final findings and whether Switzerland tightens public-event safety standards in ways other countries adopt.

    Source: Africa24tv — January 2, 2026 — https://africa24tv.com/south-africa-president-ramaphosa-expresses-condolences-following-tragic-fire-in-the-swiss-alps
    Africa24tv 2026-01-02

    Photo Credit: Africa24tv

  • Anthony Joshua discharged after crash as focus turns to road safety and investigation

    Anthony Joshua discharged after crash as focus turns to road safety and investigation

    2026-01-01 06:35:00
    According to Punch, boxer Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital after treatment following a crash in Ogun State that drew major public attention.

    In an update published by the outlet, the report said he was deemed clinically fit to recover at home while tributes continued for those who died in the incident.

    The tragedy has renewed scrutiny of road safety enforcement and risk factors on major intercity corridors.

    Reuters also reported he was discharged from hospital after the crash, noting he sustained only minor injuries.

    Associated Press similarly reported that he was deemed fit to recover at home following observation, while summarising the incident context.

    Echotitbits take:

    Beyond celebrity shock, this is a policy window: publish the crash investigation outcome, strengthen enforcement against hazardous trucking practices, and improve emergency-response readiness on high-risk routes.

    Source: The Punch  — December 31, 2025 (https://punchng.com/fatal-crash-anthony-joshua-discharged-from-hospital/)

    The Punch  2025-12-31

    Photo Credit: The Punch

  • ICPC summons Dangote as petition over alleged $7m school-fees spending enters probe phase

    ICPC summons Dangote as petition over alleged $7m school-fees spending enters probe phase

    Photo Credit: The Nations
    2025-12-21 08:30:00

    In an update published by The Nation, the ICPC has invited Aliko Dangote in connection with his petition against the immediate past NMDPRA boss over allegations tied to public funds and overseas school fees.

    The report says the invitation is linked to preparations for a formal investigation panel, as the matter fuels debate about accountability in high-value regulatory offices.

    At the center is an allegation that more than $7 million was spent on children’s education abroad, prompting calls for a lifestyle and governance audit around the regulator.

    Premium Times confirmed Dangote “formally submitted a petition,” while ThisDay reported the petition “alleged that Ahmed spent over $7 million” on education-related expenses.

    Echotitbits take:
    High-profile petitions only matter if evidence is traceable. Watch for payment trails, asset declarations, and whether the probe expands into institutional controls that enabled the alleged spending.

    Source: The Nation — December 21, 2025 (https://thenationonlineng.net/icpc-invites-dangote-over-7m-school-fees-claim-against-ex-nmdpra-boss/)
    The Nation 2025-12-21

  • FIRS Abuja office fire contained as agency begins investigation

    FIRS Abuja office fire contained as agency begins investigation

    Photo Credit: The Punch
    2025-12-21 00:05:00

    According to The Punch, a fire incident affected one of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) offices in Wuse, Abuja, with officials saying there were no fatalities and the blaze was contained.

    FIRS said security personnel on duty responded quickly, supported by the FCT Fire Service and other emergency responders, preventing the flames from spreading to other parts of the building.

    The agency added that while some offices on the impacted floor were damaged, work to review safety protocols is underway as investigators determine what caused the outbreak.

    TheCable also reported the fire was contained and quoted FIRS’ statement that “no life was lost in the incident.” In a separate update, Punch quoted the agency saying preliminary findings point to “a possible electrical fault” as the likely cause.

    Echotitbits take:
    Even without casualties, any disruption at a key revenue agency invites scrutiny. Watch for an official incident report, confirmation of what infrastructure or records were affected, and any new safety measures rolled out across other FIRS locations.

    Source: The Punch — December 21, 2025 (https://punchng.com/firs-probes-abuja-office-fire/)
    The Punch 2025-12-21