Tag: Lagos–Ibadan Expressway

  • Anthony Joshua Returns to UK Following Tragic Car Crash in Nigeria

    Anthony Joshua Returns to UK Following Tragic Car Crash in Nigeria

    In an update published by The Associated Press, former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has flown back to Britain after surviving a fatal car accident near Lagos that claimed the lives of two of his close associates. The crash, which occurred earlier this week when their vehicle struck a stationary truck, resulted in the deaths of Joshua’s strength coach, Sina Ghami, and trainer, Latif ‘Latz’ Ayodele.

    Joshua, who holds dual British and Nigerian nationality, was in Nigeria for a private visit and briefly attended a boarding school there as a youth. While the boxer sustained only minor injuries and was cleared by medical professionals on Wednesday, the psychological toll of the loss has resonated deeply within the global sporting community.

    Reports from Global News and theScore confirmed the champion’s departure to prepare for the funerals of his friends. Global News shared footage of the star being ‘led away from a car following the fatal accident,’ while theScore noted that the driver, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, ‘was charged on Friday with dangerous and reckless driving.’

    Echotitbits take: This tragedy highlights the ongoing concerns regarding road safety on major Nigerian expressways, even for high-profile convoys. While Joshua’s physical recovery is confirmed, the loss of his core training staff could significantly impact his upcoming fight schedule and mental preparation. Watch for a potential hiatus from the ring as he mourns this deeply personal loss.
    Source: skysports  – https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/13489932/anthony-joshua-returns-to-uk-after-car-crash-in-nigeria-that-killed-two-of-his-close-friends January 3, 2026
    Photo Credit: skysports

  • Police detain driver after fatal Ogun crash involving Anthony Joshua

    Police detain driver after fatal Ogun crash involving Anthony Joshua

    2026-01-02 09:00:00
    According to The Nation, Ogun State Police have taken into custody the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the Lagos–Ibadan expressway crash in which boxer Anthony Joshua was a passenger and two other occupants reportedly died.

    The report says investigators are questioning the driver and piecing together what led to the collision, while the case file is being compiled for the next procedural steps.

    The incident has reignited debate about enforcement on high-speed intercity corridors, including commercial truck compliance and private-vehicle speed discipline.

    Validation: Punch also reported the detention, quoting the police spokesperson: “The driver of the Lexus SUV… is currently in custody… Investigations are ongoing.” Vanguard carried the same confirmation with the line: “The driver of the Lexus SUV is currently in custody… Investigations are ongoing.”

    Echotitbits take: Road-safety attention spikes when celebrities are involved, then fades. Watch whether investigators publish a clear timeline (speed, vehicle condition, road factors) and whether prosecutors follow through—this case will test enforcement credibility on the Lagos–Ibadan corridor.

    Source: The Nation — 2025-12-31 (https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-police-arrest-anthony-joshuas-driver/)
    The Nation 2025-12-31

    Photo Credit: The Nation

  • Anthony Joshua discharged after Lagos crash, pays respects to late associates

    Anthony Joshua discharged after Lagos crash, pays respects to late associates

    2026-01-01 08:00:00

    Reporting by The Guardian indicates Anthony Joshua has been discharged from Lagoon Hospital after a crash near Lagos that killed two members of his team.

    The report says Joshua suffered minor injuries, was kept under observation, and later visited a funeral home with his mother as arrangements were made.

    • Associated Press (AP): “discharged … after being declared clinically fit to recover at home”
    • Reuters: “released from Lagoon Hospital in Lagos”

    Echotitbits take: Beyond the tragedy, this story re-spotlights Nigeria’s road-safety gaps and how quickly a celebrity incident can refocus public pressure—expect more scrutiny on enforcement, speed, and heavy-duty truck safety on key highways.

    Source: The Guardian — January 1, 2026 — https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2026/jan/01/anthony-joshua-released-from-hospital-in-nigeria-car-crash-boxing

    The Guardian
    January 1, 2026
    Photo Credit: The Guardian

  • Anthony Joshua discharged after crash as focus turns to road safety and investigation

    Anthony Joshua discharged after crash as focus turns to road safety and investigation

    2026-01-01 06:35:00
    According to Punch, boxer Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital after treatment following a crash in Ogun State that drew major public attention.

    In an update published by the outlet, the report said he was deemed clinically fit to recover at home while tributes continued for those who died in the incident.

    The tragedy has renewed scrutiny of road safety enforcement and risk factors on major intercity corridors.

    Reuters also reported he was discharged from hospital after the crash, noting he sustained only minor injuries.

    Associated Press similarly reported that he was deemed fit to recover at home following observation, while summarising the incident context.

    Echotitbits take:

    Beyond celebrity shock, this is a policy window: publish the crash investigation outcome, strengthen enforcement against hazardous trucking practices, and improve emergency-response readiness on high-risk routes.

    Source: The Punch  — December 31, 2025 (https://punchng.com/fatal-crash-anthony-joshua-discharged-from-hospital/)

    The Punch  2025-12-31

    Photo Credit: The Punch

  • Tinubu Reaches Anthony Joshua After Ogun Crash, Extends Condolences

    Tinubu Reaches Anthony Joshua After Ogun Crash, Extends Condolences

    2025-12-30 06:30:00

    In a report by The Nation, President Bola Tinubu said he phoned Anthony Joshua after the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway crash that killed two members of the boxer’s team and left him injured, offering condolences and prayers.

    The paper said Joshua assured the President he was receiving medical care, while Tinubu also called Joshua’s mother to console her and pray with her.

    The incident has again put the spotlight on safety risks along the Lagos–Ibadan corridor during peak holiday travel, with renewed calls for stricter enforcement and faster emergency response.

    Premium Times also reported the State House release, quoting that Tinubu “has spoken by telephone” with Joshua and his mother. The Nation’s own report quoted Tinubu saying, “I spoke with AJ on the phone…” as it described the calls and condolences.

    Echotitbits take: Beyond the celebrity angle, the tragedy underlines persistent highway safety gaps. Watch for targeted FRSC enforcement on the Lagos–Ibadan axis and any new state-backed emergency-response upgrades in 2026.

    Source: The Nation — December 29, 2025 (https://thenationonlineng.net/tinubu-speaks-with-anthony-joshua-mother-after-tragic-ogun-crash/)

    The Nation 2025-12-29

    Photo Credit: The Nation