Tag: NIDCOM

  • NiDCOM Appeals for Nigerian’s Release From Saudi Detention After Settlement Steps

    NiDCOM Appeals for Nigerian’s Release From Saudi Detention After Settlement Steps

    2025-12-30 17:00:00

    According to The Nation, the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) is pressing Saudi authorities to release Suleiman Olufemi, saying key settlement steps have been concluded and urging final action.

    The report framed the case as a diaspora‑protection issue and suggested the commission believes conditions for release are now in place following interventions and engagements.

    NiDCOM says accurate public communication is critical in sensitive consular matters, particularly when legal and compensation processes are involved.

    NiDCOM’s official statement said it is “setting the records straight” and added that “the blood money has been paid.” TVC News also reported the commission’s push, quoting NiDCOM’s stance and noting the paid settlement as part of the pathway to release.

    Echotitbits take: The story shows how diaspora cases can drag without sustained diplomacy and clear communication. Watch for confirmation of release timing, clearer consular protocols, and whether NiDCOM uses the case to strengthen rapid‑response support for Nigerians abroad.

    Source: The Nation — December 30, 2025 (https://thenationonlineng.net/nidcom-appeals-for-release-of-suleiman-olufemi-from-saudi-prison/)

    The Nation 2025-12-30

    Photo Credit: The Nation

  • NiDCOM says diaspora portal passes 100,000 registrations as data mapping expands

    NiDCOM says diaspora portal passes 100,000 registrations as data mapping expands

    Photo Credit: The NIDCOM Boss, Abike Dabiri–Erewa – The New Nigerian
    2025-12-14

    According to The Punch, the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) says more than 100,000 Nigerians have registered on its diaspora data-mapping portal, as it seeks more reliable population and skills data on citizens abroad.

    NiDCOM acknowledged the broader challenge of capturing accurate figures for a diaspora community estimated to be far larger than current registrations, and said the portal is designed to improve planning and engagement.

    A government-backed report on the portal’s launch said NiDCOM created the Data Mapping and Registry Portal to enhance realistic data capture for Nigerians living abroad.

    NiDCOM’s portal documentation describes the platform as a structured registry with country-specific mapping pages for diaspora communities.

    Analysis/Echotitbits take: Quality diaspora data can strengthen policy design—investment channels, diaspora bonds, consular support and targeted skills programmes. The key risk is trust: privacy protections and clear benefits for registration. Watch for incentives, data governance assurances, and evidence that registration improves services.

    Source: The Punch — 14 Dec 2025 (https://punchng.com/nidcom-registers-over-100000-nigerians-abroad/)

     

  • Nigeria evacuates 300 more stranded citizens from US

    Nigeria evacuates 300 more stranded citizens from US

    Three hundred more Nigerians who had been stranded in the United States have arrived in Abuja.

    This was announced by the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), on Saturday via Twitter.

    The stranded Nigerians arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 15:00pm via the Ethiopian Airlines.

    NIDCOM stated that the evacuation is the fifth from the US since the Federal Government started flying Nigerians who were stranded as a result of the COVID-19 back home.

    READ ALSO:

    Nigerian government dismisses ‘zoning’ comment by President Buhari’s nephew, Daura

    All the evacuees tested Negative to COVID-19 before boarding the flight but will also observe the mandatory 4-day self-isolation as mandated by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

    So far, a total of 1,430 Nigerians have been flown back home.

    Meanwhile, the Federal Government says it has spent over N169million in transporting Nigerian returnees from overseas.

    In an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, the National Coordinator, Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, said N22billion was released for the effective handling of COVID-19 response in the country.

    “At the moment, as far as I know, only N169million was spent by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the evacuation of Nigerians, mainly on their accommodation.

    READ ALSO:

    Ronaldo Buys £5.5m Yacht to Celebrate Latest Juventus’ Serie A Title Win

    “We haven’t spent much because of the need for prudence in the first place. We need to have clear evidence. A lot of the Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) of government are yet to do their quick procurement,” he said.