Tag: Nigerian Army

  • PDP Condemns Lekki Shooting, Describes It as Massacre

    PDP Condemns Lekki Shooting, Describes It as Massacre

    Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Tuesday night released video of Lekki shooting, describing it as a massacre.

    The opposition party condemned in very strong terms the killing of peaceful protesters at Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of the country.

    “It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

    “Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts,” PDP said.

    The party called on “President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.”

    “We invite the International Criminal Court (ICC) to bring all those responsible for the needless death of these very young Nigerians to justice,” PDP said, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan.

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • #EndSARSProtest: Lagos Orders Investigation into Lekki Shooting

    #EndSARSProtest: Lagos Orders Investigation into Lekki Shooting

    The Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu-led Lagos State Government has ordered an investigation into reports of live ammunition fired at peaceful protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza Tuesday evening.

    This was coming as Sanwo-Olu has urged residents to remain calm.

    Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, in a statement, said the shooting would be investigated immediately.

    “There have been reports of shooting at Lekki Toll Plaza, following the 24-hour curfew imposed on Lagos State to stop criminals who hid under the #EndSARS protests to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.

    Lagos Police Arrest Protester Who Allegedly Killed Two in Fatal Accident

    “The state Glgovernment has ordered an investigation into the incident. Governor Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish.

    “He advises Lagosians to remain calm and not allow criminals, who have hijacked the noble protest of our gallant youths, to succeed in their evil plan of turning our dear state upside down,” Omotoso said.

    #EndSARS: Lagos Swears-In 7-member Judicial Panel into SARS brutality

    He assured that the governor would do everything within his power to ensure that the lives of all Lagosians are protected at all times.

  • #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Clarifies Position on Exercise Crocodile Smile VI

    #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Clarifies Position on Exercise Crocodile Smile VI

    Nigerian Army weekend decided to ‘soro soke,’ saying the newly-launched Exercise Crocodile Smile VI has nothing to do with the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country.

    The Army, in a statement by its Acting Director, Public Relations, Sagir Musa, described the exercise as a yearly event set out to train officers and men to ensure safety and security of Nigeria and its citizens.

    He said this year’s exercise has been scheduled to commence on October 20 till December 31, adding that it has no relationship with any lawful protest under any guise whatsoever.

    He warned people to desist from insinuating that “it is an exercise meant to stifle the ongoing #EndSARS protest,” saying any attempt to do so would only lead to “sheer misinformation.”

    According to him, “It is a yearly exercise in the Army Calendar/Forecast of Events which traditionally holds from October to December of each year.

    “So far, the Army has acted professionally since the civil protest started over two weeks ago.

    “The Army hereby enjoins all law-abiding Nigerians to go about their lawful activities unhindered.”

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • Top Boko Haram Commander Surrenders with Four Wives, Several Others Killed

    Top Boko Haram Commander Surrenders with Four Wives, Several Others Killed

    The Nigerian Army says a top Boko Haram commander has surrendered to defence troops.

    The Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, who disclosed this while addressing journalists on Wednesday, in Abuja, stated that the Boko Haram commander surrendered to Nigerian Army troops along with his four wives.

    While no further detail was given about the surrendered Boko Haram commander, the defence chief noted that seven bandits have also been killed and eight kidnapped victims rescued from bandits at Fankama and Sabon Layi area of Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State by the troops.

    Enenche attributed the “success” of the operation to actionable intelligence by the troops.

    “In the north-east, within the period under review, troops of operation Lafiya Dole conducted a series of air and ground operations on terrorist enclaves t different locations in Borno, Yobe, Taraba and Adamawa State.

    “Notably, a high profile Boko Haram terrorist commander surrendered with four of his wives to our troops,” he said.

    Video: Defence Headquarters Media Briefing

    In another statement by Major General Enenche on Thursday, troops of Army Super Camp Malumfatori at the Lake Chad Basin destroyed several identified terrorists’ camps and hideouts located at Tunbun Gini, Tunbun Nbororo, Tunbun Kayoma, Tunbun Kaza, Tunbun Fulani at the fringes of Lake Chad in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State.

    The operation led to the killing of several top BHT/ISWAP commanders including Abu Usman, Alhaji Shettima, Modu Mainok, Bukar Gana, Abu Summayya, Amir Taam and Amir Kuraish.

    Enenche, reiterating the commitment of the nation’s defence formations said: “the Armed Forces of Nigeria working together with other security agencies are highly committed to ending the insurgency and other security challenges in the country.”

    He added that that the troop are committed to the safety of lives and property within the North-East, they are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops with timely and credible information that will assist them in the conduct of their operations.

    • Channels Television
  • Operation Sahel Sanity impacts North-West with tremendous successes – Defence Headquarters

    Operation Sahel Sanity impacts North-West with tremendous successes – Defence Headquarters

    The Nigerian Defence Headquarters (DHq) says operation Sahel Sanity, which kicked off almost two months ago has led to the rescue of kidnapped victims, recovery of rustled cattles, arrest of suspected armed bandits, arrest of bandits informants and collaborators.

    This was disclosed in a statement Saturday night as it reviewed operations of the unit, which was flagged off on July 6, 2020 by the Chief of Army Staff, Major Gen. Turkur Buratai, as part of activities of the Nigerian Army Day Celebration 2020, during which the Nigerian Army Super Camp IV Faskari in Katsina State was established.

    According to the statement, Operation Sahel Sanity was established to support Operation Hadarin Daji in stemming the tides of the activities of armed bandits, cattle rustlers, kidnappers, incessant killings and other sundry crimes in the North-West zone of the country.

    READ ALSO:

    Nigerian government dismisses ‘zoning’ comment by President Buhari’s nephew, Daura

     

    “These acts of criminalities orchestrated by the bandits had before now crippled the agricultural, social and economic activities of the people of this zone. The people of the North-West Zone felt immediate impact of the operation with the tremendous successes achieved within the short period of time.

    “The gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY within the period under review has carried out series of clearance operations, ambushes and other aggressive and confidence building patrols within Sokoto, Katsina and Zamfara States.”

    Also included as part of the successes, DHq stated that the unit made recoveries of large cache of arms and ammunition as well as recovery of motorcycles and other bandits logistics within the period.

    The DHq noted further that: “So far, in all the operations conducted, 80 armed bandits have been neutralized, a total of 943 cows, 633 sheep/rams recovered; 33 suspected bandits arrested; 7 AK47 Riffles, 1 GPMG and16 Dane guns captured; 17 kidnapped victims rescued and 14 bandits informants and collaborators arrested.

    “Also several bandits camps including the notorious Dangote Triangle and their logistics bases were destroyed by troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY.

    READ ALSO: 

    Amaechi reacts to calls for cancellation of rail station named after Tinubu

    “There is no gainsaying therefore that within the first month of Operation SAHEL SANITY from 1-31 July 2020, troops have recorded several successes in line with the aim of the operation. The gallant troops continue to dominate volatile areas with confidence building patrols, ambushes and clearance operations to deny the bandits and other criminal elements freedom of action”.

    The DHq added that the successes achieved by Operation Sahel Sanity is further evident by the active resumption of farming, social and economic activities by the locals with reduced fear of threats in their localities.

  • Nigerian Army launches Operation Sahel Sanity to tackle banditry, terrorism

    Nigerian Army launches Operation Sahel Sanity to tackle banditry, terrorism

    Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Yusuf Buratai has lunched “Operation Sahel Sanity” to tackle terrorism, banditry, Cattle rustling, kidnapping and other criminal activities in the Northwestern part of the country.

    The Operation which was flagged off at the Nigerian Army Super Camp 4, Faskari in Katsina State was designed to flush out criminals in Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna, Sokoto and Niger states.

    Lt. Gen. Buratai explained that, President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the military to end all act of terrorism and other criminal activities in the country, hence the need to adopt new tactics to accomplish the task.

    He said, Special Forces would continue onslaught to flush out bandits terrorizing innocent people in the region, as operation end in September, 2020.

    Similarly the COAS inaugurated Ten military operation vehicles named, Mime Resistance Ambush Protector (MRAPs) nicknamed CONCARARS, Constructed by the 107 Brigade Maiduguri using Local materials with a view to boosting military operations to ensure peace and security across the country.

    The Nigerian Army however, appealed for the support of Nigerians by providing information that would lead to curbing criminal activities.

  • Insurgency: Nigerian Military repels terrorists in attack on Geidam town

    Insurgency: Nigerian Military repels terrorists in attack on Geidam town

    The Nigerian Military have repelled an attack by Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa (ISWAP) terrorists. At about 11:30 pm on Monday, April 20, the terrorists launched an attack on Geidam town, the Headquarters of Geidam Local Government Area of Yobe State but met a strong resistance from the Nigerian troops.

    In a statement by the Coordinator, Defence Headquarters (DHq) Media Operations, Major General John Enenche stated that troops belonging to 159 Battalion in Sector 2 and the Air Task Force of Operation Lafiya Dole “swiftly intercepted and engaged the criminals in a fierce exchange of fire.”

    Enenche described that the heavy response of fire by officers of the Nigerian Military successfully aborted the attempted attack by the criminal elements.

    “The terrorists were forced to retreat, scampered in disarray into different locations and within surrounding bushes. At the moment, troops are on pursuit of the fleeing terrorists.”

    It was gathered that during the fierce exchange of fire 13 terrorists were killed, 2 gun trucks and 6 AK 47 rifles were recovered from the insurgents.

    The DHq Media Operations Coordinator stated that while the terrorists have been subdued and troops have embarked on what it called exploitation operation to hunt down fleeing insurgents, Geidam town and environs is now normalized.

    The late night operation however left no casualty or loss of equipment for the Nigerian Military.

  • Rape Threat: Nigerian Army arrests soldiers

    Rape Threat: Nigerian Army arrests soldiers

    The Nigerian Army has arrested two of its soldiers who threatened to rape women in Delta State in a viral video.

    The media had reported that two soldiers in the 26 seconds viral video claimed that residents of Warri, Delta State killed a soldier last Thursday, which was day two of the coronavirus lockdown ordered by the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa. The video also revealed how the two rogue soldiers threatened to attack women in Warri as a revenge for an unconfirmed and unproven killing of a Soldier.

    The video threat came hours after some soldiers killed a 28-year old man on Thursday leading to a faceoff between security officers and residents of the area. The soldiers were said to be members of a team deployed to the area to enforce the stay-at-home order by the State Government to combat the ravaging coronavirus.

    Meanwhile, the Delta State Police Command has confirmed that the deceased, identified as Joseph Pessu, was shot dead by soldiers. The Police also confirmed that no soldier was killed in Delta.

    In the viral video, one of the rogue soldiers wearing a military camouflage could be heard saying in Pidgin English “Warri people, una don buy job! Una kill soldier, baa?

    “Your mother…. I’ll make sure she carry HIV! Your daughters will carry HIV, your wives will carry HIV!”

    The Police Command in Delta described the video as detestable adding that it is much of a video the deadly Boko Haram terrorist group could have produced. They however assured residents that the incident is under investigation.

    The Nigerian Army on Friday, posted on its official Twitter page stating that the soldiers in the video have been arrested at 9 Brigade Ikeja Military Cantonment Lagos.

    The post read – “The general public should be assured that the investigations will be swift and fair in accordance with applicable military laws. The outcome of the investigations will determine the most appropriate disciplinary measures that can be taken in the circumstances.”

    The Army did not disclose the rank or identity of the soldiers but stated that they are being investigated.