Tag: security

  • Borno Police Say 2,610 Suspects Arrested in Wide Crime Sweep, Hundreds Convicted

    Borno Police Say 2,610 Suspects Arrested in Wide Crime Sweep, Hundreds Convicted

    Figures cited by The Guardian show the Borno State Police Command said it arrested 2,610 suspects for various offences over the period under review, including cases linked to gender-based violence and armed robbery.

    Police officials also reported recoveries of arms, vehicles and drugs, adding that a large number of cases have already been prosecuted to conclusion with convictions.

    The command attributed the outcomes to intelligence-led policing and community support, as the state remains under security pressure from insurgency and cross-border crime.

    **Echotitbits take:** High arrest and conviction figures signal more assertive policing, but they also underline the scale of criminality in the region. Watch for stronger joint operations and border security coordination to keep networks from regenerating.
    Source: The Guardian Nigeria — https://guardian.ng/news/nigeria/metro/police-arrest-2610-suspects-recover-arms-cash-in-borno/ 2026-01-08

    Photo Credit: Guardian Nigeria

  • Troops arrest eight suspects tied to Gamboru market mosque suicide bombing network

    Troops arrest eight suspects tied to Gamboru market mosque suicide bombing network

    According to ThisDay, troops of Operation Hadin Kai arrested eight suspected terrorists linked to the suicide bombing at the Gamboru market mosque, describing the suspects as part of the network behind the attack.

    The report says two of those held are described as key facilitators, with the arrests following weeks of intelligence work and surveillance that led to targeted operations.

    Recovered items listed include cash, phones, IDs, ATM cards, and jewelry, with forensic examination expected to support ongoing investigations.

    The military says the suspects remain in custody for interrogation and intelligence extraction, with eventual handover for further investigation.

    BusinessDay also reported the Army “dismantled [a] suicide bombing network” tied to the Gamboru incident. Leadership echoed the same development, reporting troops “arrest 8 terrorists linked to Gamboru market mosque suicide bombing.”

    Echotitbits take: The key is prosecution quality. Track whether suspects are arraigned publicly and whether evidence handling and inter-agency coordination hold up in court.

    Source: ThisDayLive – https://www.thisdaylive.com/2026/01/07/troops-arrest-eight-terrorists-linked-to-gamboru-market-mosque-suicide-bombing/  January 7, 2026
    ThisDayLive January 7, 2026

    Photo Credit: ThisDayLive

  • Schools Reopen in Kebbi and Kwara After Successful Security Review

    Schools Reopen in Kebbi and Kwara After Successful Security Review

    Reporting by The Punch indicates that the governments of Kebbi and Kwara states have ordered the reopening of several public schools that were previously shut down due to banditry threats. The decision follows a ‘successful security review’ and the deployment of the ‘Safe Schools Initiative’ guards in vulnerable border communities. Parents have been urged to return their children to classes as the new academic term begins.

    In Kebbi, where students were recently abducted from a federal college, the government has built new perimeter fences and installed solar-powered CCTV cameras in several boarding schools. In Kwara, the reopening is focused on the northern districts where ‘bandit incursions’ from neighboring states had caused a temporary halt in educational activities late last year.

    Further reporting from Channels TV and Daily Post validates the resumption. Channels TV reported that ‘local vigilantes have been integrated into the school security architecture,’ while Daily Post quoted a Kebbi educator: ‘The children have lost too much time; we are happy to have them back.’

    Echotitbits take: Reopening schools is a major ‘psychological victory’ against bandits. However, ‘perimeter fences’ are only as good as the response team that monitors them. The real test will be whether the government can sustain the funding for these security guards beyond the first few months of the term.
    Source: The Punch – https://punchng.com/kwara-directs-school-to-reopen-monday/ January 5, 2026

    Photo Credit: The Punch

  • Former Attorney General Aondoakaa Demands US Air Strikes on Benue Bandits

    Former Attorney General Aondoakaa Demands US Air Strikes on Benue Bandits

    According to The Punch, former Attorney General of the Federation, Michael Aondoakaa, has made a controversial call for the Nigerian government to invite US military air strikes against bandits terrorizing Benue State. Aondoakaa argued that the local security apparatus has been overwhelmed by the superior firepower of the gangs and that international intervention is now required to prevent a total collapse of order in the Middle Belt.

    The senior lawyer suggested that the US could deploy precision drones similar to those used in counter-terrorism operations elsewhere. His remarks have sparked a fierce debate over national sovereignty and the effectiveness of current military strategies. Critics argue that foreign intervention could complicate the local conflict, while supporters believe it is a necessary ‘shock therapy’ for the escalating violence.

    Validation of these remarks appeared in Daily Post and Leadership. Daily Post reported that ‘Aondoakaa’s proposal has divided the legal and security community,’ while Leadership quoted a security analyst who warned: ‘Inviting foreign strikes on your own soil is a dangerous precedent that rarely ends well.’

    Echotitbits take: This is a desperate call that reflects the level of frustration in Benue State. While highly unlikely to happen—as the US rarely intervenes in internal banditry—it puts immense pressure on the Nigerian Air Force to show more ‘precision’ in their own operations. Watch for a defensive statement from the Defence Headquarters in response to Aondoakaa.
    Source: The Punch  – https://punchng.com/ex-agf-aondoakaa-calls-for-us-air-strikes-in-benue/ January 5, 2026

    Photo Credit: The Punch

  • Nigerian Military Issues Urgent Alert Over Unexploded Ordnance Following US-Backed Strikes

    Nigerian Military Issues Urgent Alert Over Unexploded Ordnance Following US-Backed Strikes

    Reporting by BusinessDay indicates that the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has released a high-priority warning to residents in northern Nigeria concerning the dangers of unexploded ordnance (UXO). This follows a series of successful US-supported airstrikes targeting Islamic State-linked insurgent camps in Sokoto State.

    The military command noted that while the aerial bombardment successfully neutralized high-value targets, the risk of residual explosive materials remains high in the impacted zones. Local communities have been strictly advised to avoid picking up or tampering with any metallic objects or debris found near strike locations to prevent accidental detonations.

    Validation of this safety crisis comes from The Punch, which reported that ‘security forces are now conducting sweep-and-clear operations’ to decontaminate affected rural farmlands. Additionally, The Cable quoted a military spokesperson who emphasized that ‘civilians must not pick up such materials’ and should instead report sightings to the nearest security outpost.

    Echotitbits take: While the airstrikes provide a much-needed boost to national security, the humanitarian risk posed by UXOs could alienate local populations. The government needs to prioritize rapid decontamination of these areas to ensure that farmers can return to their fields without fear of stepping on explosives.

    Source: Reuters — https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/nigeria-urges-civilians-avoid-debris-us-backed-strikes-islamists-2026-01-02/
    Reuters January 3, 2026

    Photo Credit: Reuters

  • Kidnappers Demand N450 Million Ransom for Abducted Kwara Monarch

    Kidnappers Demand N450 Million Ransom for Abducted Kwara Monarch

    According to The Guardian, kidnappers who abducted the Oniwo of Aafin, Oba Simeon Olaonipekun, along with his son and other villagers, have demanded a ransom of N450 million. the traditional ruler was taken from his community in Kwara State during a late-night raid that has left the local population in a state of panic.

    The abduction highlights the persistent ‘Kidnap Terror’ that has returned to parts of the North-Central and North-West regions. Security forces have reportedly been deployed to the area, but no rescue has been affected as of Saturday morning.

    Vanguard described the situation in its special report, noting that ‘from Abuja to North, communities live in fear again’ as abduction cases spike in the new year. The Cable also tracked the incident, adding that the Kwara State government is currently in emergency talks with traditional rulers to bolster local vigilante groups.

    Echotitbits take: Targeting traditional rulers is a deliberate tactic to break community morale. The high ransom demand suggests that kidnapping has remained a ‘profitable’ enterprise despite the government’s efforts to track financial flows through the NIN-SIM linkage.

    Source: The Guardian — https://guardian.ng/news/nigeria/metro/kidnappers-demand-n450m-to-release-kwara-monarch-son-others/

    The Guardian January 3, 2026

    Photo Credit: The Guardian

  • Northern Communities Face Retaliatory Surge Following U.S. Strikes on Terrorist Cells

    Northern Communities Face Retaliatory Surge Following U.S. Strikes on Terrorist Cells

    Reporting by BusinessDay indicates a sharp rise in attacks across northern Nigeria following recent United States-backed airstrikes targeting Islamic State-linked militants in Sokoto State. Between late December 2025 and the first days of 2026, at least 47 deaths and 35 abductions have been documented.

    The violence has spread across Adamawa, Zamfara, and Kebbi states, with local leaders reporting nighttime raids on vulnerable villages. Despite the tactical success of the airstrikes, the immediate aftermath has seen bandit groups and Boko Haram remnants intensify their operations against civilian targets.

    The Cable confirmed these developments, reporting that ‘attacks intensify across northern Nigeria after U.S. strikes’ as insurgents regroup. In response, the Defence Headquarters issued a warning to civilians, stating: ‘We do not expect civilians to pick up or keep such materials,’ referring to unexploded ordnance found at strike sites.

    Echotitbits take: While international military support provides a technological edge, it often triggers ‘asymmetric’ retaliation. The Nigerian military must pivot from strike-based operations to ground-level community protection to prevent these ‘revenge’ cycles from displacing more thousands.

    Source: Chosun — https://www.chosun.com/english/world-en/2025/12/27/PNB7UGLHP5AQVEOKNB6ZTUFITE/
    Chosun January 3, 2026

    Photo Credit: Chosun

  • Maiduguri Mosque Blast: Deaths Reported as Borno Reels Again

    Maiduguri Mosque Blast: Deaths Reported as Borno Reels Again

    Photo Credit: The Punch
    2025-12-25 09:30:00

    Police updates referenced by The Punch say an explosion at a mosque in Maiduguri, Borno State, left multiple casualties during prayers, reviving fears over insurgent-linked attacks in Nigeria’s northeast. The incident reportedly caused panic and rushed evacuations as victims were taken for treatment.

    The attack fits a long-running pattern in the region, where civilians and places of worship have been targeted amid the Boko Haram/ISWAP-linked insurgency. While responsibility is often unclear in early hours, authorities typically tighten security and launch bomb-disposal and investigation protocols immediately after such incidents.

    The broader concern is the timing: festive periods and crowded gatherings can increase vulnerability, making community vigilance and intelligence-led policing especially critical.

    Two international reports aligned on the incident details: Reuters quoted Borno Governor Babagana Zulum condemning the bombing as “barbaric and inhumane,” while the Associated Press described it as an “apparent suicide attack” after authorities found fragments consistent with a suicide vest.

    Echotitbits take: The key question is whether this marks a tactical resurgence (suicide devices returning) or an isolated breach. Watch for official forensics, arrests, and whether security agencies issue broader threat advisories for the North-East during the holiday window.

    Source: The Punch — December 25, 2025 (https://punchng.com/four-killed-14-injured-in-borno-mosque-bombing/)

    The Punch 2025-12-25

  • Borno operation: troops disrupt suspected ISWAP logistics with vehicle interception

    Borno operation: troops disrupt suspected ISWAP logistics with vehicle interception

    Photo credit: Daily Post Nigeria
    2025-12-20 12:30:00

    In a report carried by Punch, Nigerian troops in Borno intercepted vehicles allegedly transporting logistics meant for ISWAP, highlighting how insurgents still depend on supply lines and local procurement networks.

    Targeting logistics can have outsized impact: cutting fuel, tyres, parts and food flows can degrade mobility, reduce operational tempo and force insurgent cells into riskier behaviour.

    The incident was described as intelligence-led, with seizures that may help map facilitators, routes and financiers supporting terror activity.

    Even where no high-profile commanders are caught, interdictions like this can provide leads for follow-up raids and arrests.

    The Nigerian Army’s official updates described the action as part of efforts to cut terrorist resupply and degrade operational capacity.

    TheCable also reported the interception and noted it formed part of intensified pressure on insurgent logistics networks.

    Echotitbits take: Sustained interdictions matter more than one-off seizures. Watch for rapid exploitation of seized items (phones, receipts) and for any retaliation attempts on affected routes. Long-term success hinges on surveillance, informant protection and follow-through arrests.

    Source: Daily Post Nigeria— December 20, 2025 https://dailypost.ng/2025/12/20/troops-intercept-vehicles-carrying-suspected-iswap-supplies-in-borno/

  • NDLEA uncovers Abia codeine operation as agencies intercept major opioid consignments

    NDLEA uncovers Abia codeine operation as agencies intercept major opioid consignments

    2025-12-15 08:00:00

    According to The Punch, NDLEA operatives uncovered a clandestine codeine syrup manufacturing operation in Abia State and reported large seizures linked to wider nationwide interdictions.

    Punch says the crackdown forms part of broader pre‑holiday operations targeting illicit opioid supply chains, including containers and large consignments intercepted at ports and along transit routes.

    The report highlights continued pressure on drug networks feeding domestic abuse and cross-border trafficking.

    Analysis/Echotitbits take: Beyond seizures, disruption depends on prosecutions, asset forfeiture, and sustained port/land-border controls. Watch for follow-up arrests, forensic tracing of supply chains, and joint actions with Customs and international counterparts.

    Source: Blueprint — December 15, 2025

    Blueprint https://blueprint.ng/ndlea-seizes-1187kg-skunk-uncovers-codeine-factory/ December 15, 2025