Tag: Stranded Nigerians

  • Nigeria evacuates 300 more stranded citizens from US

    Nigeria evacuates 300 more stranded citizens from US

    Three hundred more Nigerians who had been stranded in the United States have arrived in Abuja.

    This was announced by the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), on Saturday via Twitter.

    The stranded Nigerians arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 15:00pm via the Ethiopian Airlines.

    NIDCOM stated that the evacuation is the fifth from the US since the Federal Government started flying Nigerians who were stranded as a result of the COVID-19 back home.

    READ ALSO:

    Nigerian government dismisses ‘zoning’ comment by President Buhari’s nephew, Daura

    All the evacuees tested Negative to COVID-19 before boarding the flight but will also observe the mandatory 4-day self-isolation as mandated by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

    So far, a total of 1,430 Nigerians have been flown back home.

    Meanwhile, the Federal Government says it has spent over N169million in transporting Nigerian returnees from overseas.

    In an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, the National Coordinator, Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, said N22billion was released for the effective handling of COVID-19 response in the country.

    “At the moment, as far as I know, only N169million was spent by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the evacuation of Nigerians, mainly on their accommodation.

    READ ALSO:

    Ronaldo Buys £5.5m Yacht to Celebrate Latest Juventus’ Serie A Title Win

    “We haven’t spent much because of the need for prudence in the first place. We need to have clear evidence. A lot of the Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) of government are yet to do their quick procurement,” he said.

  • FG commits to assisting 177 stranded Niger returnees

    FG commits to assisting 177 stranded Niger returnees

    The Federal Government has assured the 177 Nigerians repatriated from Niger Republic of protection and support as well as respecting their dignity and rights as citizens of the Country.

    Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar-Farouq who gave the assurance in Abuja while receiving them said, the Federal Government had assembled an inter-ministerial team to ensure that arrangements were in place to cater for the returning citizens.

    Represented by the Federal Commissioner, National Commission for Refugee, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI), Senator Bashir Muhammed, the Minister said the Federal Government sympathised with them as the President deemed it fit to assist all Nigerians who wished to return to the country due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    READ ALSO:

    Eid-el- Kabir: Gbajabiamila urges leaders to keep their contract with Nigerians

    The Minister thanked the International Organisation of Migration (IOM), individuals as well as various government agencies and Organisations who contributed to the success of their return.

    The 177 Nigerians who were stranded in Niger Republic due to the COVID-19 restrictions, arrived Abuja last night and would be managed in line with the COVID-19 Quarantine Protocol within 72hrs of arrival.