Category: Foreign

  • Alhamrani Universal, Stanchion Payments, INETCO Partner to Counter Payment Fraud Across Middle East

    Alhamrani Universal, Stanchion Payments, INETCO Partner to Counter Payment Fraud Across Middle East

    2026-01-21 09:00:00

    Alhamrani Universal, Stanchion Payments, INETCO Partner to Counter Payment Fraud Across Middle East

    Vancouver, Canada / Jeddah, Saudi Arabia — January 21, 2026

    Alhamrani Universal, a leading Saudi fintech solutions provider and the region’s largest ATM solution provider, has announced the deployment of INETCO BullzAI, an AI-powered cyber-fraud prevention platform, to strengthen payments security across the Middle East. The rollout is delivered through Stanchion Payments, INETCO’s global partner, as the three organizations position the initiative as a response to accelerating digital payments and increasingly sophisticated financial crime in the region.

    The companies said the deployment will provide real-time visibility into transactions across self-service terminals and digital payment channels, enabling Alhamrani Universal to validate terminal legitimacy, detect anomalies early, and protect transaction settlement workflows—an emphasis aligned with Saudi Arabia’s broader digital transformation agenda under Vision 2030.

    The announcement also pointed to heightened concern about cyber exposure across the Middle East’s financial services sector as cloud adoption and generative AI expand attack surfaces, referencing PwC’s 2025 Global Digital Trust Insights (Middle East) on breach impacts and costs.

    What INETCO BullzAI is expected to deliver

    • Real-time monitoring of every transaction with zero performance impact, improving visibility and helping identify unauthorized or unregistered terminals operating outside the licensed ecosystem.
    • Deeper payments intelligence using full transaction message-field access for flexible, no-code rule creation, behavioral modeling, and detailed reporting on volumes and terminal activity.
    • Rapid adaptation to evolving threats via self-training machine learning models that update after every transaction to detect emerging (“zero-day”) fraud patterns.
    • Pre-emptive blocking of high-risk activity through an AI-driven transaction firewall designed to stop attacks such as BIN attacks, malware, account takeovers, bot attacks, and card-present/card-not-present fraud without disrupting legitimate transactions.

    Echotitbits take: This partnership reflects a broader shift in payments security: fraud prevention is moving earlier in the transaction lifecycle—from post-incident investigation to real-time interdiction. The practical test will be measurable reduction in fraud losses and disputes, stronger compliance assurance, and improved settlement confidence without degrading customer experience.

    Source: Press Release (Alhamrani Universal / Stanchion Payments / INETCO) (2026-01-21)

  • US Expands Entry Restrictions: What Nigeria’s New Partial Limits Mean for Your Visa Plans

    US Expands Entry Restrictions: What Nigeria’s New Partial Limits Mean for Your Visa Plans

    Photo Credit : Andrew Caballero-Reynolds / AFP via Getty Images through NBC News
    2025-12-17 09:00:00

    In a new U.S. presidential proclamation aimed at strengthening national security, Washington says it is expanding entry restrictions for nationals of countries it believes have persistent gaps in screening, vetting, and information-sharing. The policy is presented as a data-driven move to reduce public-safety risks and to push foreign governments to improve cooperation with U.S. immigration and law-enforcement requirements.

    The proclamation keeps full entry restrictions on nationals from 12 previously listed countries and adds five more to that “full restriction” category, while also tightening limits for some travel documents and updating partial restrictions for other nations. The U.S. says key concerns include unreliable civil or criminal records, poor birth registration, limited information-sharing, high overstay rates, and in some cases instability and extremist activity that complicate background checks.

    For Nigerians, the most important update is that Nigeria is included among countries facing partial restrictions—particularly affecting immigrants and nonimmigrants in common visitor and education-related categories (such as B-1/B-2 and F/M/J). In the text outlining the decision, Nigeria is linked to security challenges in parts of the country and to overstay-rate figures cited for certain visa classes.

    On the ground, partial restrictions can translate into tougher scrutiny, slower processing, and more unpredictable outcomes for students, exchange visitors, tourists, business travelers, and families planning trips. Nigerians with legitimate travel plans may need stronger documentation, clearer ties to home, and more careful compliance—while employers, schools, and diaspora networks could see knock-on effects through delayed mobility for study, work, medical trips, and business engagements.

    Echotitbits analysis: Nigeria’s inclusion reads as both a security narrative and a systems test: identity management, document integrity, and cross-border data cooperation. For citizens, the safest short-term move is to keep applications “clean”—consistent records, credible documentation, and strict visa compliance. For policymakers, the fastest way to reduce the stigma is measurable improvements in civil registration, anti-fraud enforcement, and cooperation that produces verifiable results.

    Source: U.S. Presidential Proclamation -https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/2025/06/restricting-the-entry-of-foreign-nationals-to-protect-the-united-states-from-foreign-terrorists-and-other-national-security-and-public-safety-threats/

  • US Congressman Moore Vows Report to Trump After Benue Visit, Alleges ‘Genocidal Campaign’ Against Nigerian Christians

    US Congressman Moore Vows Report to Trump After Benue Visit, Alleges ‘Genocidal Campaign’ Against Nigerian Christians

    A member of the United States House of Representatives, Riley Moore, has renewed claims that Christian communities in Nigeria’s Middle Belt are facing what he calls a “genocidal campaign” by Fulani militants, following a recent congressional mission that visited Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps in Benue State. Moore, who represents West Virginia, says he is preparing a detailed report for former US President Donald Trump on the violence and the humanitarian crisis he witnessed.

    Moore led a small US delegation that travelled to Nigeria to investigate reports of targeted attacks on Christian farming communities. In Benue, the team met displaced families, church leaders and traditional rulers, including Catholic bishops Wilfred Anagbe and Isaac Dugu, as well as the Tor Tiv. Several reports quoting the congressman say he was told that more than 600,000 people—mostly Christian villagers—are now sheltering in IDP camps across the state after being driven from their homes.

    In interviews and social-media posts, Moore described what he heard in the camps as some of the most distressing testimonies of his career. Survivors recounted attacks on villages, killings of relatives and destruction of farms and churches. One woman was said to have lost five children in a single raid, while another reportedly had her unborn baby cut from her womb after her family was killed. Moore accused armed groups he described as “Fulani and Islamist radicals” of carrying out a coordinated effort to drive Christians from their ancestral land.

    The congressman has linked his visit to a broader push in Washington to respond more forcefully to religiously targeted violence in Nigeria. Last month he introduced a resolution in the US Congress condemning the persecution of Christians and calling for stronger action to protect vulnerable communities. He has now said he will submit a “high-level” briefing to Trump, outlining ways the United States could work with Nigeria on a joint response to terrorism and mass displacement if Trump returns to the White House.

    Nigerian officials have also engaged with the delegation. Moore and his team met National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu and other senior figures in Abuja to discuss the security situation and ongoing counter-terrorism operations. The Nigerian government has generally rejected the “genocide” label, insisting that the country’s overlapping crises involve terrorism, banditry, farmer–herder clashes and criminal violence affecting multiple communities, not only Christians. Officials say they are working to secure rural areas, support state governments and resettle IDPs where possible.

    The visit and Moore’s language have, however, drawn pushback from some Nigerian groups. A Muslim organisation recently accused the US delegation of consulting mainly Christian actors and of framing the conflict in narrow religious terms, warning that such portrayals risk deepening mistrust and ignoring attacks suffered by Muslims and other groups in the same regions. Nigerian and international analysts have likewise argued in separate commentaries that while atrocities and mass displacement are undeniable, the violence is complex and does not always fit neatly into a single “Christian genocide” narrative.

    Despite the disagreements, the congressional tour has again pushed Nigeria’s Middle Belt crisis into the centre of US and diaspora debates. For displaced families in Benue’s camps, the key question is whether heightened attention from Washington will translate into more effective protection on the ground—and faster moves towards justice and safe return—for all communities caught up in the country’s overlapping conflicts.

    This Echotitbits.com report draws on coverage and statements from SaharaReporters, TheNigeriaLawyer, Leadership, Punch Newspapers, PM News, Politics Nigeria, Premium Times, and The Guardian (Nigeria), published between November and December 2025.

  • AfDB Approves €25m Trade Finance Guarantee for Cameroon’s CCA-Bank to Boost SME Lending

    AfDB Approves €25m Trade Finance Guarantee for Cameroon’s CCA-Bank to Boost SME Lending

    ABIDJAN/YAOUNDÉ, December 2, 2025 — The African Development Bank Group has approved a €25 million trade finance facility for Cameroon’s Crédit Communautaire d’Afrique-Bank (CCA-Bank), aimed at expanding support to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and other businesses across key sectors of the economy.

    The facility, cleared by the Bank’s Board of Directors at a session held on 1 December in Abidjan, will be deployed as a Transaction Guarantee, a risk-sharing instrument that provides cover to eligible African banks for their trade finance operations.

    According to Lamin Drammeh, Head of the Bank Group’s Trade Finance Division, the guarantee will help unlock critical imports needed for Cameroon’s productive sectors.

    “The facility will support Cameroon’s economy by facilitating imports of equipment for the industrial, agro-industrial and telecommunications sectors. It will also enable the African Development Bank to provide up to a 100 percent guarantee to confirming banks, to facilitate the confirmation of letters of credit and other similar trade finance instruments issued by CCA-Bank for the benefit of SMEs in Cameroon,” Drammeh explained.

    Léandre Bassolé, Director General for the Bank’s Central Africa region, noted that the operation aligns with AfDB’s drive to deepen direct interventions in support of the private sector in Cameroon.

    “It will strengthen CCA-Bank’s capacity to support the activities of SMEs, including those owned by women and young people, to boost the local productive sector, facilitate economic growth, and create and maintain thousands of jobs,” he said.

    Welcoming what she described as a strategic milestone, CCA-Bank’s Managing Director, Marguerite Fonkwen Atanga, said the partnership would significantly enhance the bank’s ability to serve smaller businesses and emerging entrepreneurs.

    “We would like to express our gratitude to the African Development Bank Group for this important trade finance facility. This strategic partnership marks a major milestone for our institution and will significantly strengthen our capacity to support small and medium-sized enterprises, women entrepreneurs and start-ups in Cameroon and Africa,” she stated.

    Background: AfDB’s Transaction Guarantee

    The Transaction Guarantee is a trade finance instrument introduced by the African Development Bank in 2021 to support commercial banks operating in Africa. It covers a range of trade-related instruments, including confirmed letters of credit, commercial loans, irrevocable repayment undertakings, endorsed drafts and promissory notes, among others.

    The facility is available to banks registered and operating in Africa that have successfully passed the Bank’s due diligence process, helping them reduce perceived risk from international confirming banks and expand access to trade finance for their clients.

    About the African Development Bank Group

    The African Development Bank Group is Africa’s leading development finance institution, comprising the African Development Bank (AfDB), the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Nigeria Trust Fund (NTF). With representation in 41 African countries and a field office in Japan, the Bank supports economic development and social progress across its 54 regional member states.

    Source Credit:

    African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – press release distributed by APO Group, 2 December 2025.

  • India Deports 32 Nigerians After Drug Crackdown

    India Deports 32 Nigerians After Drug Crackdown

    Indian authorities have deported 32 Nigerians linked to a transnational narcotics network following arrests in a multi-state crackdown.

    The development may renew diaspora and consular conversations around criminal networks, profiling concerns and lawful migration pathways.

    Source: Punch, 2025-12-09

  • U.S. Delegation Meets Benue Traditional and Faith Leaders

    U.S. Delegation Meets Benue Traditional and Faith Leaders

    A U.S. congressional delegation met with Benue clerics and traditional leaders to discuss recurring violence and insecurity, signalling heightened international concern.

    Local leaders reportedly pressed for stronger protection of rural communities and accountability for perpetrators.

    Source: Punch, 2025-12-09

  • TikTok Restricts Late-Night LIVE in Nigeria

    TikTok Restricts Late-Night LIVE in Nigeria

    TikTok has restricted late-night LIVE access for Nigerian users as part of a safety investigation tied to harmful-content concerns. The platform has not stated how long the restriction will remain.

    The move reflects rising global and local pressure on social platforms to tighten safeguards around livestream risks.

    Source: Punch, 2025-12-08

  • Low offers halt sale of president’s jet

    Low offers halt sale of president’s jet

    The Federal Government has reportedly withdrawn Nigeria’s Presidential Boeing 737-700 Business Jet from an international sales listing after receiving offers deemed far below expectations. Sunday Punch cites senior presidency and security sources indicating that some bids were around $10 million, which officials considered inadequate for the 20-year-old aircraft. Aviation market logic mentioned in the report suggests older VIP jets attract fewer serious buyers, as high-net-worth purchasers often prefer newer airframes with stronger manufacturer support and updated bespoke interiors. Source: Punch, December 7, 2025.

  • TikTok Pays Price for Breaking Age Limit: UK Imposes $15.9 Million Fine

    TikTok Pays Price for Breaking Age Limit: UK Imposes $15.9 Million Fine

    On Tuesday, the UK’s data regulator announced that it had imposed a fine of £12.7 million ($15.9 million) on TikTok for allowing approximately 1.4 million children under the age of 13 to use its social media platform in breach of its own policies.

    The Information Commissioner’s Office stated that the Chinese-owned company had violated UK law by failing to obtain the consent of parents or guardians for the use of their children’s data, despite the fact that these users were too young to create accounts.

    TikTok nevertheless welcomed a decision by the ICO to slash the fine from £27 million, which the regulator had previously warned it might impose.

    READ ALSO: Peter Obi Reveals Intense Pressure to Flee Nigeria Amidst Political Turmoil

    TikTok contested the ICO’s conclusion, which comes in addition to a series of prohibitions on the platform’s use by Western governments on official devices, citing concerns that Beijing may be able to access the data.

    “We will continue to review the decision and are considering next steps,” the company said in a statement.

    “We invest heavily to help keep under 13s off the platform and our 40,000-strong safety team works around the clock to help keep the platform safe for our community,” it said.

    Despite this, TikTok expressed its appreciation for the ICO’s decision to reduce the fine from £27 million, which the regulator had earlier cautioned might be imposed.

    Although TikTok’s terms of service prohibit the creation of accounts by children under the age of 13, the ICO stated that the company had not conducted sufficient checks to prevent such occurrences in the UK, resulting in up to 1.4 million children being impacted in 2020.

    READ ALSO: Twelve-Year-Old Girl dies in Car Crash – Police

    “That means that their data may have been used to track them and profile them, potentially delivering harmful, inappropriate content at their very next scroll,” Information Commissioner John Edwards said.

    “There are laws in place to make sure our children are as safe in the digital world as they are in the physical world,” he said in a statement.

    “TikTok did not abide by those laws.”

     

  • Earthquakes: Death toll rises in Syria and Turkey

    Earthquakes: Death toll rises in Syria and Turkey

    On Wednesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoan paid his first visit to regions affected by two devastating earthquakes that occurred earlier this week and left more than 19,000 people dead in Turkey and Syria. Many more people have suffered injuries.

    In the worst-affected provinces, Erdoan has proclaimed a state of emergency that will endure for three months. More than 30 countries’ worth of emergency response teams are still searching for lives beneath the rubble, and the World Health Organization announced that it had sent medical teams to assist with rescue operations. According to local media, the earthquakes in Syria have caused a displacement of close to 300,000.

    Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

    READ: Controversial Actor Accuses 2Baba of Not Giving Scholarship to Sound Sultan’s Children

    Here are some facts about the earthquake:

    • The magnitude-7.8 earthquake that slammed southeast Turkey early on Monday was the worst to strike the area in 80 years; a second earthquake of magnitude-7.5 struck hours later. There have been more than 650 aftershocks.
    • According to some estimates, the disaster might result in up to 20,000 fatalities and immediate economic damages of almost €1 billion.
    • The EU has promised to send both nations immediate help and humanitarian aid totaling approximately €6.5 million.
      Donations are also being requested by humanitarian organizations.