Tag: Boxing

  • ‘Village people’ talk trends after pastor links Anthony Joshua crash to spiritual forces

    ‘Village people’ talk trends after pastor links Anthony Joshua crash to spiritual forces

    In an update published by Legit.ng, a pastor’s social post suggesting a spiritual explanation for Anthony Joshua’s crash went viral and revived ‘village people’ commentary online.

    The post urged followers to consider unseen forces, setting off waves of memes, arguments, and rebuttals.

    So far, the viral angle remains commentary rather than evidence about the accident itself.

    • Pastor’s X post (origin of claim): ““Has anyone considered the role of ‘Village people’ in Anthony Joshua’s accident?””
    • Legit.ng (report framing): ““As a pastor, I must consider a spiritual angle…””

    Echotitbits take: This is a reminder of how fast serious incidents get swallowed by culture-war content. The credible next step is verified reporting on the crash details and recovery updates—not speculation.

    Source: Legit.ng — Jan 3, 2026 — https://www.legit.ng/entertainment/celebrities/1690801-role-village-people-anthony-joshuas-accident-pastor-speaks-viral-post

    Legit.ng
    Jan 3, 2026
    Photo Credit: Legit.ng

  • Police detain driver after fatal Ogun crash involving Anthony Joshua

    Police detain driver after fatal Ogun crash involving Anthony Joshua

    2026-01-02 09:00:00
    According to The Nation, Ogun State Police have taken into custody the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the Lagos–Ibadan expressway crash in which boxer Anthony Joshua was a passenger and two other occupants reportedly died.

    The report says investigators are questioning the driver and piecing together what led to the collision, while the case file is being compiled for the next procedural steps.

    The incident has reignited debate about enforcement on high-speed intercity corridors, including commercial truck compliance and private-vehicle speed discipline.

    Validation: Punch also reported the detention, quoting the police spokesperson: “The driver of the Lexus SUV… is currently in custody… Investigations are ongoing.” Vanguard carried the same confirmation with the line: “The driver of the Lexus SUV is currently in custody… Investigations are ongoing.”

    Echotitbits take: Road-safety attention spikes when celebrities are involved, then fades. Watch whether investigators publish a clear timeline (speed, vehicle condition, road factors) and whether prosecutors follow through—this case will test enforcement credibility on the Lagos–Ibadan corridor.

    Source: The Nation — 2025-12-31 (https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-police-arrest-anthony-joshuas-driver/)
    The Nation 2025-12-31

    Photo Credit: The Nation

  • Anthony Joshua discharged after crash as focus turns to road safety and investigation

    Anthony Joshua discharged after crash as focus turns to road safety and investigation

    2026-01-01 06:35:00
    According to Punch, boxer Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital after treatment following a crash in Ogun State that drew major public attention.

    In an update published by the outlet, the report said he was deemed clinically fit to recover at home while tributes continued for those who died in the incident.

    The tragedy has renewed scrutiny of road safety enforcement and risk factors on major intercity corridors.

    Reuters also reported he was discharged from hospital after the crash, noting he sustained only minor injuries.

    Associated Press similarly reported that he was deemed fit to recover at home following observation, while summarising the incident context.

    Echotitbits take:

    Beyond celebrity shock, this is a policy window: publish the crash investigation outcome, strengthen enforcement against hazardous trucking practices, and improve emergency-response readiness on high-risk routes.

    Source: The Punch  — December 31, 2025 (https://punchng.com/fatal-crash-anthony-joshua-discharged-from-hospital/)

    The Punch  2025-12-31

    Photo Credit: The Punch

  • Anthony Joshua stops Jake Paul in six as crossover boxing meets heavyweight reality

    Anthony Joshua stops Jake Paul in six as crossover boxing meets heavyweight reality

    Photo credit: Punch — Anthony.Joshua

    2025-12-20 12:40:00

    According to Punch, Anthony Joshua halted Jake Paul in the sixth round in a bout that blended elite boxing pedigree with influencer-era spectacle.

    The early rounds were described as cautious, with Joshua reading Paul’s movement before raising the pressure as the fight progressed.

    Momentum shifted when Joshua began landing heavier shots, leading to knockdowns before the stoppage sequence in round six.

    The outcome reinforces the widening gap between a former heavyweight champion and a social-media star stepping up in size and danger.

    Reuters called it a “sixth-round KO” after a slow opening, noting the finish came as Joshua’s pressure intensified.

    ESPN reported Joshua “scored four knockdowns” on the way to the stoppage in Miami.

    Echotitbits take: If Paul continues chasing elite heavyweights, matchmaking scrutiny will grow—who protects the sport’s integrity vs. who cashes the biggest cheques. For Joshua, the next step is the real story: a legacy fight or a title-path reboot.

    Source: Punch — December 20, 2025 https://punchng.com/just-in-anthony-joshua-floors-jake-paul-in-sixth-round-knockout/

  • Joshua and Fury to fight for undisputed world heavyweight in new deal 

    Joshua and Fury to fight for undisputed world heavyweight in new deal 

    Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will clash for the title of undisputed world heavyweight champion after signing a two-fight deal, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said on Monday.

    The locations and dates for the much-anticipated all-British showdowns are yet to be announced.

    Confirming the agreement, Hearn told ESPN: “The hard part is always getting everybody to put pen to paper.

    “But this was a major effort from all parties to get this over the line. You had rival promoters, rival networks and rival fighters.”

    Hearn said a venue for the fights, in which Joshua’s WBA, IBF, and WBO titles and Fury’s WBC belt will be on the line, is set to be confirmed: “within the next month”.

    According to reports, Saudi Arabia, where Joshua won a rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr in December 2019, is the frontrunner.

    But Hearn told ESPN he “already had approaches from eight or nine sites” across the Middle East, Asia, eastern Europe, and America.

    “We’d like to get a site deal confirmed in the next month,” he said.

    Both Joshua, 31, and Fury, 32, are expected to earn £100 million ($139 million) each, with the purse split 50-50 for the first fight and 60-40 for the rematch in favour of the defending champion.

    Since avenging a shock defeat to Ruiz, Joshua has defended his titles against Kubrat Pulev in London in December.

    Fury has not fought for more than a year since defeating Deontay Wilder in February 2020 to claim the WBC title.

    Joshua previously stated he hoped the fight could take place as early as June.

    “(The coronavirus pandemic) is getting close to things being normal. We’re working on a date for around June,” the former Olympic champion told Sky News.

    “I’m ready. I’m really looking forward to competition — all I want to do is fight, fight, fight.”

    Fury has consistently made jibes at Joshua’s expense, claiming in January that he would knock out his fellow Brit within two rounds.

    However, last week the self-styled “Gypsy King” said he had stopped training after becoming tired of waiting for the fight to be agreed upon.

    “I’m not training anymore,” Fury told ESPN. “I’m taking some time away from the game at the moment, because, like I said, I’ve been ready to fight since I beat Deontay Wilder last year. I’ve had no success in getting another fight.”

    – Four belts –
    All four belts will be contested in a heavyweight bout for the first time.

    The last undisputed heavyweight champion was Britain’s Lennox Lewis, from 1999 to 2000. A boxer is now required to hold the WBO belt to be recognised as an undisputed champion.

    Joshua has 24 wins and one defeat from 25 professional bouts. He lost his three world titles in a stunning defeat to Ruiz Jr in June 2019.

    Fury is unbeaten in his 31 professional fights. He was controversially denied victory in a draw with Wilder in 2018 before winning their rematch in February 2020.

    He beat Wladimir Klitschko in 2015 to win the WBA, IBF, and WBO belts before nearly three years out of the sport, during which he battled depression, drink, and drug problems.

    Fury was cleared to fight again in December 2017 by UK Anti-Doping after accepting a backdated two-year ban for testing positive for steroid nandrolone.

    • The Guardian