Tag: Ecowas

  • Mali Coup: Mutinying Soldiers Arrest President, Prime Minister as Country’s Crisis Deepens

    Mali Coup: Mutinying Soldiers Arrest President, Prime Minister as Country’s Crisis Deepens

    Mali’s President, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, and Prime Minister, Boubou Cisse, have been arrested by mutinying soldiers, according to several reports.

    Al Jazeera Media Network reports that the development on Tuesday came hours after soldiers took up arms and staged an apparent mutiny at a key base in Kati, a town close to the capital, Bamako.

    Boubou-Cissé-Keita
    A collage of arrested Malian President , Ibrahim Keïta and Prime Minister, Boubou CissëIt followed a weeks-long political crisis that has seen opposition protesters taking to the streets to demand the departure of Keita, accusing him of allowing the country’s economy to collapse and mishandling a worsening security situation.

    Earlier, protesters gathered at a square in Bamako while regional and international powers urged the soldiers to return to the barracks and foreign embassies advised their citizens to stay indoors.

    READ ALSO:

    Mali Crisis: Ex-President Jonathan leads ECOWAS Mission to to Buhari

    The Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, has condemned the arrests of Keita, Cisse and other officials.

    Mahamat also condemned any attempt at “anti-constitutional” change and called on the mutinying soldier’s to respect the state’s institutions.

    “I energetically condemn the arrest of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, the prime minister and other members of the Malian government and call for their immediate liberation,” he wrote on Twitter.

    Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov has said Russia has received information about the arrests of Mali’s president and prime minister, RIA news agency reported without providing further details.

    He also said, according to the media outlet, that Moscow is concerned about the events in Mali.

    Developments are moving fast in Mali.

    AFP news agency, citing a source identified as a leader of the mutiny, said the soldiers have detained Keita and Cisse.

    “We can tell you that the president and the prime minister are under our control,” the leader, who requested anonymity, told AFP.

    READ ALSO:

    Jonathan briefs Buhari on Mali crisis, expresses gratitude for name on railway complex

    He added that the pair had been “arrested” at Keita’s residence in Bamako.

    Another military official, who also declined to be named, said the president and prime minister were in an armoured vehicle en route to Kati.

    Reuters news agency has reported, citing two security sources, that Keita has been arrested by mutinying soldiers in Bamako.

    The arrest came after soldiers mutinied at the Kati army base and rounded up a number of senior civilian and military officials, according to Reuters.

    French President Emmanuel Macron discussed the soldiers’ mutiny in Mali on Tuesday with his Malian counterpart and other West African leaders, expressing his support for mediation efforts by the ECOWAS regional bloc, the presidency in Paris said.

    Macron discussed the unfolding situation with Keita and the leaders of Niger, Ivory Coast and Senegal, and “condemned the attempted mutiny under way,” the Elysee Palace said in a statement.

    The French presidency did not say precisely when Macron’s talks with the African leaders took place.

    In Bamako, hundreds of people have poured into the square around the Independence Monument, the site of mass protests since June, calling for Keita to quit over alleged corruption and worsening security.

    “Whether he’s been arrested or not, what is certain is that his end is near. God is granting our prayers. IBK is finished,” Haidara Assetou Cisse, a teacher, told Reuters news agency, referring to the president by his initials.

    “We have come out today to call for the total resignation of Ibrahim Boubacar Keita. Because we heard there were shots fired by the military and we have come out to help our soldiers get rid of IBK,” opposition supporter Aboubacar Ibrahim Maiga said.

    Protesters have also attacked the justice minister’s personal offices, setting parts of them on fire, a Reuters witness said.

    Cisse, the Malian prime minister, called on the mutinying soldiers to stand down and urged dialogue to resolve the situation.

    In a statement, he said the mutiny “reflects a certain frustration that could have legitimate causes. The government of Mali asks all the authors of these acts to stand down.”

    France denounced “in the strongest terms” what it described as a mutiny launched by soldiers in Mali.

    “France has become aware of the mutiny that has taken place today in Kati, Mali. It condemns in the strongest terms this serious event,” Foreign Minister Jean Yves Le Drian said in a statement that also urged the soldiers to return to their barracks “without delay.”

    Opposition supporters react to the news of a possible mutiny of soldiers in the military base in Kati, outside the capital Bamako, at Independence Square in Bamako, Mali August 18, 2020.

    The West African bloc ECOWAS called on the soldiers “to return to their barracks without delay”.

    READ ALSO:

    ECOWAS set on resolving Mali’s political crisis

    “This mutiny comes at a time when, for several months now, ECOWAS has been taking initiatives and conducting mediation efforts with all the Malian parties,” the bloc said in a statement.

    Gunfire was heard at an army base near Bamako, with the Norwegian embassy talking of a possible military mutiny. Soldiers fired their guns into the air in the base in Kati, some 15km (9 miles) from Bamako.

    Witnesses said armoured tanks and military vehicles could be seen on the streets of Kati, The Associated Press news agency reported.

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • ECOWAS adopts Government of National Unity to resolve Mali crisis

    ECOWAS adopts Government of National Unity to resolve Mali crisis

    Authority of Heads of State and Government of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has adopted a declaration of formation of a Government of National Unity towards resolving the lingering crisis in Mali.

    ECOWAS Heads of State and Government unanimously agreed to the formation of a Government of National Unity in which 50 per cent nominees would come from the government of the day headed by President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita; 30 per cent would come from the opposition; while 20 per cent nominees would be made by the civil society organisations (CSOs).

    These were some of the highlights reached at a virtual Extraordinary Session of the leaders of the sub-regional body on Monday.

    The meeting adopted positions to resolve crisis sparked off by disputed parliamentary elections held in Mali, which had led to widespread riots, arson and killings in the West African country.

    It was agreed that given the numerous challenges facing the country, some members of government would be nominated before the National Unity Government is formed. These include: the Ministers in charge of Defense, Justice, Foreign Affairs, National Security and Finance.

    The Malian President was equally mandated to ensure the stepping down of the 31 parliamentarians who emerged from the disputed polls, while a by-election would be held as speedily as possible.

    Also agreed was that steps should be taken to reconstitute the Constitutional Court in the country as soon as possible, while a commission of enquiry would determine and identify those responsible for the violence that led to deaths and casualties as well as public properties destroyed between July 10 and 12.

    Equally resolved was that the government would step up efforts to secure the release of opposition figure, Soumaila Cisse, kidnapped since March, among others.

    ECOWAS Commission is to put in place a monitoring committee for the implementation of all the above measures.

    This declaration, which is expected to be communicated to relevant organs of African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN), also agreed to support Keita in restoring peace and order to Mali, noting that no anti-constitutional change of government would be accepted anywhere in West Africa.

    The virtual Extraordinary Session of ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government was attended by Presidents of Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Mali, Senegal, Liberia, Cote D’Ivoire, Guinea Bissau, Burkina Faso, Guinea Conakry, Cape Verde, The Gambia, and Niger Republic, who is the ECOWAS Chairman.

    Equally present was President of ECOWAS Commission, Jean-Claude Kassi Brou.

    President Muhammadu Buhari at the virtual meeting of ECOWAS leaders. July 27, 2020. Photo: Femi Adesina

    In his remarks, President Muhammadu Buhari appealed to government and people of Mali to consider recommendations of ECOWAS Special Envoy, former President Goodluck Jonathan, and his team, in resolving the political crisis, saying a government of national unity would provide inclusivity and ensure peaceful co-existence.

    Buhari, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, urged Malian political leaders to consider the fragile peace in the country and the likely spiraling effect on the sub-region.

    “I wish to place on record, my commendations for the various layers of efforts, and especially, of former President Goodluck Jonathan, whose painstaking engagements as Special Envoy and Mediator, provided clear road-map to contain the crisis in Mali.

    “I appeal therefore, to all the Malian stakeholders to consider the proposals for the reform of the Constitutional Court and the established modalities for resolving the continuous 31 seats issue at the National Assembly.

    “Equally significant, is the need to address governance challenges, whose manifestations are at the core of restiveness across the country. In order to address these matters holistically, it is important that all Malians embrace the call for a Government of National Unity where inclusivity of participation in the affairs of governing their country will be a responsibility of each and every Malian actor.

    “I wish to reiterate the imperative of compromise and concessions for a peaceful resolution of the current crisis which would be acceptable to all parties,” Buhari said.

    The President commended the Chair of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government, for convening the Extraordinary Session to discuss the socio-economic, political and security developments in Mali, especially, following the outcome of the Parliamentary elections in the country, last March 2020.

    He said: “Excellencies, dear colleagues and brothers, may I recall that last March, Parliamentary elections took place in Mali. Regrettably, results of 31 seats arising from those elections, provoked the spate of unrest and protests that became violent with tragic consequences in July 2020.

    “We are still living and contending with the negative fallout from those incidents. Our organisation, the ECOWAS, using its instrumentality of peaceful resolutions of crisis and in the context of our Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, embarked upon a series of efforts to address this crisis, at the levels of Ministerial Committee, Special Envoy and Mediator and to a select-group of Heads of State and Government and now, the Authority of Heads of State and Government, at this Extraordinary Session, today.”

    Buhari thanked Development Partners, the European Union, France, AU and the UN, urging them to continue to support efforts for national-regional security and stability of West Africa.

    All ECOWAS leaders at the summit appreciated Goodluck Jonathan, who had been appointed Special Envoy and Mediator in the crisis.

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • Photos: Buhari participates at a virtual meeting of ECOWAS leaders

    Photos: Buhari participates at a virtual meeting of ECOWAS leaders

    President Muhammadu Buhari today, Monday 27th July participates at a virtual meeting of the Extraordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government in State House, Abuja.

  • Jonathan Appointed ECOWAS Special Envoy to Mali

    Jonathan Appointed ECOWAS Special Envoy to Mali

    Former president Goodluck Jonathan has been appointed by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) as a Special Envoy to lead the sub-regional body’s mediation mission in Mali.

    Jonathan’s appointment was communicated to him in a letter signed by the President of ECOWAS Commission, Jean-Claude Kassi Brou.

    “Given your position as the former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the great role and contributions your tenure offered to the maintenance of peace, security and stability in our region, I have the honour, in consultation with the Chair of the Authority, H.E. Issoufou Mahamadou, President of the Republic of Niger, to communicate to you, the decision to appoint you as ECOWAS Special Envoy for the socio-political crisis in Mali,” the letter read.

    The former president is to engage in consultations with all relevant stakeholders involved in the ongoing dispute in Mali to ensure that a common ground is found in the search for peace.

    As a Special Envoy, Jonathan is to facilitate dialogue with all principal stakeholders in Mali, including President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, opposition leaders, civil society as well as religious organisations, towards resolving the worsening socio-political situation in the West African country.

    Speaking ahead of his scheduled departure for Bamako tomorrow, the former president promised to do his best to ensure that the mission achieves the desired result.

    He also thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for the support of the Nigerian Government, including providing an aircraft and other logistics needed to make the assignment successful, said a statement by Jonathan’s Media Adviser, Ikechukwu Eze.

    Jonathan had led peace missions to many crises-ridden nations in the past. He’s expected to deploy his enormous goodwill within the continent to facilitate the process of restoring peace in the troubled nation.

    Mali has been hit by protests, sparked by the outcome of parliamentary elections in March and April, perceived discontent over the government’s handling of the country’s jihadist insurgency and worsening economic situation.

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • 2019: Atiku doubts Buhari’s commitment to free and fair elections

    2019: Atiku doubts Buhari’s commitment to free and fair elections

    By Tobiloba Kolawole

    The presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 election, Atiku Abubakar has reacted to President Muhammadu Buhari’s refusal to assent the Electoral Act 2018 Amendment Bill. Atiku, who appears to be the main opposition to Buhari’s reelection bid, expressed doubt about the President’s commitment to free and fair elections in 2019.

    The former vice President made his position known on Friday via his Twitter handle: “Mr. President, assurances that your administration will conduct free, fair and credible elections cannot be taken seriously. For Nigerians and especially us in the opposition, you just missed an opportunity to walk the talk.”

    Another prominent PDP member who has voiced his disappointment over Buhari’s decline to assent the Electoral bill was former Governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, who said that the President’s action can only mean he does not trust the judgment of his party members at the National Assembly that actively took part in the passing of the bill.

    “What is President Buhari’s fear concerning this Electoral Bill? Can the interest of a single individual be placed above that of Nigeria and its people? Is he saying that even his party members in the NASS were wrong to have passed the Electoral Bill? May God save our country?” Fayose wrote on his twitter handle.

    Meanwhile, some Nigerians have alleged that the real reason President Buhari declined assent to the Electoral Act 2018 Amendment Bill was to benefit from faceless voters who had no permanent voters cards (PVCs). One of those making the accusation is a former aide of ex President Goodluck Jonathan.

    According to Reno Omokri, who made reference to a data by DeepDive Intelligence that is now circulating online, President Buhari won the 2015 Presidential election because over 13 million people with no PVCs voted.

    “The real reason Buhari does not want to sign the Electoral Act is because 75% of the faceless voters who voted without PVCs in 2015, voted for Buhari. That is how he rigged the 2015 election. That is what the new Electoral Act will stop”[SIC], Reno said.

    This is the fourth time President would decline assent to the Electoral Act 2018 Amendment Bill. Reasons for previous refusal had been hinged on errors in the document sent by the National Assembly.

    According to the President’s Senior Special Assistant on National Assembly Matters (Senate), “President Muhammadu Buhari has taken decision on Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2018. In accordance with his power under the 1999 Constitution, he has communicated that decision to the Senate and House of Representatives, in accordance with the law.”

    Enang was however unwilling to give specific reasons why the President withheld assent to the bill for the fourth time but only stated that Buhari has communicated to the National Assembly.

    However, if Nigeria’s membership of the Economic Community of West African States is anything to go by, President Buhari would have breached the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance. Article 2 of the protocol forbids member countries from making “substantial modification” to their electoral laws less than six months to elections “except with the consent of a majority of political actors”.