Tag: Judicial Panel

  • #EndSARS: Lagos Swears-In 7-member Judicial Panel into SARS brutality

    #EndSARS: Lagos Swears-In 7-member Judicial Panel into SARS brutality

    The 7-member Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution to probe accusations of brutality and human rights violations leveled against the now disbanded police tactical unit, Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) has been sworn-in on Monday at the State House, Marina, Lagos

    Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, at the swearing in of members of the panel said in the last two weeks, the state had witnessed the justified protests of youths against police brutality, saying that the pain of the young ones had been felt in various parts of the State and country as well as in the diaspora.

    “They have spoken in one voice against the unbridled violation of their rights and lives by the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad. Through the #EndSARS protests, Nigerians from all walks of life have spoken loud and clear on the need for government at all levels to take immediate and concrete actions to secure the lives of innocent Nigerians, especially the youth – many of whom have suffered gross violation of their fundamental human rights.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Clarifies Position on Exercise Crocodile Smile VI

    “Some have even lost their lives under questionable circumstances. In one of my engagements with the protesters, they gave me a list of five immediate demands, which I personally presented to President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja last Tuesday.

    “I must, however, state that even before my visit to Mr. President, I had taken action on some of their demands, which included the immediate release of all those detained on account of their participation in the #ENDSARS protests and the establishment of a N200 million fund for compensation to families and individuals who were victimized by officers of the disbanded SARS,” he said.

    According to Sanwo-Olu, in response to one of the demands of the youths and in line with the resolution of the National Economic Council on October 15, 2020, under the Chairmanship of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, the Lagos State Government had constituted a Judicial Panel of  Inquiry and Restitution under the Chairmanship of a Retired Judge of the Lagos High Court, Justice Doris Okuwobi.

    He said in Lagos State, the government fully understood the enormity of the task at hand and the need to ensure that it uphold the tenets of due process and fair hearing, which was why government had selected a seasoned and
    unblemished Judge to head this Judicial Panel of Inquiry.

    READ ALSO:

    #EndSARS: Governor Abiodun Set Up Judicial Panel, Human Righs Complaints Portal

    “The Panel will sit for six months with the following terms of reference: Receive and investigate complaints of police brutality or related extra judicial killings in Lagos State and ensure that victims and their families are able to publicly air their grievances; evaluate evidence and draw conclusions on the validity of the complaints; determine and recommend compensation and other remedial measures where appropriate, and issue cheques in favour of victims
    or their dependents; determine the officers responsible for the abuse of victims and recommend their prosecution.

    “The panel is to make recommendations to the Lagos State Government on what must be done to ensure that the Police and all security agencies no longer abuse the rights of citizens. Recommend Standard Operating Procedures for the Police on relating with citizens while discharging its duties.

    “By virtue of Section 5 of Tribunals of Inquiry Law, Laws of Lagos State, 2015, this Tribunal being set up today has powers to procure all such evidence, written or oral, and to examine all such persons as witnesses as the Tribunal may think necessary or desirable to procure or examine and summon any person in Nigeria to attend any meeting
    of the Tribunal to give evidence or produce any document or other thing in the person’s possession,” he added.

    The governor explained that the Tribunal had a mandate to carry out the directives of the Federal Government to enable it discharge its duties without fear or favour, advising members to be mindful that these complaints might be against Police Officers that are still in active service or already dismissed.

    Furthermore, Sanwo-Olu stressed that members of the panel had the mandate to ensure that the rule of law prevailed. He said it is expected of the panel to use its powers to ensure that all necessary parties appeared before it to testify.

    The governor reiterated the commitment of his government to implement the recommendations of the panel, expressing determination to ensure that the Police and other security agencies no longer brutalise or kill people.

    “We will continue to play our part in the entrenchment of a just and secure society. I am on the side of the young people out there: I understand your pain and I know your concerns are genuine and legitimate. I must reiterate
    that while we were able to immediately acquiesce to some of your demands, some others will require time: we ask you to bear with us as we dutifully work on your demands. I assure you that Lagos State will neither tolerate the violation of your fundamental human rights nor the victimization of its residents.

    “I believe that some of the actions we have taken including the constitution of this Judicial Panel of Inquiry, should to a large extent, show our sincerity and willingness to address all your concerns. We are committed to the complete overhaul of the Nigerian Police; the inauguration of this judicial panel is only the first step in a long line of reformative actions that will lead to a thorough revamp and reorientation of the Nigerian Police.

    “I will, therefore, like to renew my appeal to you to suspend the protests and create an atmosphere for the resolution of all pending demands. I encourage everyone brutalized by the disbanded SARS (including the families of those who died) to present their case before this Panel,” he said.

    Sanwo-Olu said the task of reforming the Nigerian Police was achievable, but noted that it required the cooperation of all Lagosians, including the youth to accomplish this, saying that “Through our collective actions, we will ensure that all wounds are healed, justice is served, and every guilty police officer is prosecuted.”

    READ ALSO:

    Governor Sanwo-Olu Set to Inaugurate Judicial Panel to Investigate Police Brutality

    The panel, which is headed by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, will sit for six months and is mandated to thoroughly investigate all verifiable claims of abuses and fatalities arising from SARS engagement in the State, with the objective to bring erring officers to justice and get compensation for the victims.

    Other members of the judicial panel include: 1 Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN – representing the Civil Society; Mr. Taiwo Lakanu – a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police; Ms. Patience Udoh – representing the Civil Society; Mr. Segun Awosanya – Human Rights Activist; Mrs Olutoyin Odusanya – Director, Lagos Citizens Mediation Centre; Two Representatives of the protesting youth and a Representative of the National Human Rights Commission.

     

  • #EndSARS: Governor Abiodun Set Up Judicial Panel, Human Righs Complaints Portal

    #EndSARS: Governor Abiodun Set Up Judicial Panel, Human Righs Complaints Portal

    •   State sets up forensic lab for police investigations
    • Allocate ₦50m as start up funds for victims compensation

    Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, Friday appointed Justice Solomon Olugbemi (retired) as Chairman of the Judicial Panel of Investigation on alleged cases of Police brutalities against citizens of the State.

    The appointment was in line with the resolution of the National Economic Council at its meeting on Thursday.

    The virtual meeting presided over by the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osibanjo, with State Governors participating directed each State Governor in consultation with relevant Federal Agencies to take charge of interaction with #EndSARS protesters, and as much as possible address their legitimate concerns.

    The National Economic Council (NEC) also directed each State to set up Victims Support Fund to “enable payment of monetary compensations to deserving victims” of such alleged brutalities.

    The Governors are also expected to set up Special Security and Human Rights Committees as well as Human Rights Complaint Offices in their respective State.

    Following these directives Governor Dapo Abiodun in a statement issued in Abeokuta gave the list of members of each of the committees and their mandates as follows:

    Judicial Panel of Investigation

    ​Hon Justice Solomon Olugbemi (rtd) – Chairman

    Members:
    • Comrade Olayinka Folarin, Chairman, Ogun State Coalition of Civil Societies

    • Ms Omonajevwe Janet Abiri, International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA)

    • DIG Babatunde Ogunyanwo (rtd)

    • Comrade AbdulJabar Ayelagbe, Chairman, National Youth Council, Ogun State Chapter

    • Comrade Bamgbose Tomiwa, NANS Chairman, Ogun State

    • Ms Aisekegbe Momodu, National Human Rights Commission, Ogun State

    • Mrs. Oluwatosin T. Ogundele – Chief State Counsel, Ministry of Justice, will serve as Secretary

    The Committee is to receive and investigate complaints of Police brutality, human rights violations or related extra-judicial killings; evaluate evidence presented and recommend compensation and other remedial measures, where appropriate.

    Special Security and Human Rights Committee

    • Prince Dapo Abidoun, MFR, Governor of Ogun State ​​-Chairman

    • Heads of the security agencies in the State;

    • Head of any special tactical unit of the Police in the State charged with fighting armed robbery and other violent crimes;

    • Babatunde Adeluola, representing the youth
    Representing the civil society are:

    • Mrs. Peju Osoba of Child First Welfare International, and

    • Comrade Obatungashe Israel Adebayo, Deputy National President, Campaign for Democracy (CD).

    This Committee is charged, amongst others, with the task of ensuring the protection of the rights of citizens by all security and law enforcement agencies; monitor the prosecution of any officer indicted by the Presidential Panel on Police Reforms and entertain complaints of human rights violations from the State’s Human Rights Complaints Office.

    Human Rights Complaints Office:

    • Joseph Ogunniyi, Esq – Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association, Ota Branch – Ombudsman

    • Mr. Bamidele Adebayo, Director, Department of Citizens Rights, Ministry of Justice

    • Mr. Shodeinde Oluwaponmile, Ogun State Coordinator, National Human Rights Commission.

    The Committee will facilitate easy access of complainants to prompt attention and assistance and give regular reports to the Special Security and Human Rights Committee for action.

    Victims’ Support Fund:
    A seed fund of Fifty Million Naira only (N50m) has been set aside as start-up amount to enable payment of monetary compensation to deserving victims.

    In addition to the above initiatives agreed at the National Economic Council meeting, the Governor announced the setting up of Ogun State Human Rights Complaints Reporting Portal that will be accessible to all citizens of Ogun State to upload documentary and audio / video evidence of cases of abuse.

    He also added that Ogun State will be establishing a Forensic Laboratory to aid and support police investigations and crime scene management.

    Furthermore, the State will invest in the continuous training of police officers on investigation best practices, community policing and intelligence gathering.

    The statement added that Gov Abiodun reiterated his Government’s commitment to the protection of human lives and properties. The Governor appealed to protesters to bring an end to the protests and allow a return to normalcy to give room for the implementation of government interventions, especially as the federal government has acceded to their demands whilst the state government has taken full responsibility for the implementation by taking these deliberate and practical steps and actions.

    The Governor assured citizens that the committees need to be allowed a chance to activate measures to end human rights violations and compensate victims of previous abuses.

    The Committees will be inaugurated this week.