Tag: Lekki Toll Gate Shooting

  • #EndSARS Protest was Hijacked, Buhari Reiterates as Former Leaders Commend Him

    #EndSARS Protest was Hijacked, Buhari Reiterates as Former Leaders Commend Him

    Barely 24 hours after he presided over the National Security Council at the Presidential Villa, Abuja and later addressed the nation, President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday at a meeting with Nigeria’s former presidents and heads of state reiterated that the well organised and peaceful protest by Nigerian youths under the label of #EndSARS though well-intended, was hijacked and misdirected.

    At the meeting which was virtual, President Buhari explained to former leaders that his government will not fold its arms while miscreants and criminals perpetrate hooliganism.

    President Buhari in Virtual Meeting with Former Heads of State in State House on 23rd Oct 2020

    Present at the meeting were all living past leaders, including Gen. Yakubu Gowon, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Chief Ernest Shonekan, Gen. Abulsalami Abubakar, and former President Goodluck Jonathan.

    READ ALSO:

    Video: DJ Switch Shares Lekki Toll Gate Gunfire Experience

    According to presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina, the President recounted the initial concessions made by his administration on the demands of youths protesting against the excesses of some members of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), a tactical unit of the Nigeria Police that was recently disbanded by the government.

    He recalled that the youths had demanded that the squad be disbanded, and further articulated the additional demands, including: “the immediate release of all arrested protesters, justice for deceased victims of police brutality and appropriate compensation for their families; setting up an independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of Police misconduct within 10 days and psychological evaluation and re-training of all disbanded SARS officers before they can be re-deployed; and increase in Police salary.”

    President Buhari in Virtual Meeting with Former Heads of State in State House on 23rd Oct 2020

    “We accepted all the demands and proceeded immediately to scrap SARS and started the process of addressing the other demands,” Buhari said.

    “Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the Government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.”

    President Buhari expressed concern that in the mayhem that ensued, many lives have been lost, a number of public and private properties completely destroyed or vandalised.

    President Buhari in Virtual Meeting with Former Heads of State in State House on 23rd Oct 2020

    Reiterating his pledge to Nigerians from the nationwide broadcast Thursday, the President reaffirmed he will continue to improve good governance through our democratic process including through sustained engagement.

    “We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country,” he told the former leaders.

    The President thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ”Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen.”

    Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.

    READ ALSO:

    When The Moderates Take A Walk

    “I commend the speech of last night. The nation had been waiting. You made points that I believe need to be commended. Peaceful demonstration is part of democratic practice. The demands of the genuine protesters were accepted, and you are working on implementation. We commend you,” former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, said.

    The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.

    Expressing their condolences to the bereaved families of civilians, policemen and soldiers killed as a result of the violent protest, the former leaders reaffirmed the commitment to respect the fundamental rights of citizens, including for peaceful protest as enshrined in the Constitution.

    They unanimously condemned and called for an end to the use of divisive and inciting pronouncements by separatists, Femi Adesina stated.

    By Tobiloba Kolawole

  • Lekki Toll Gate: It’s clear there were casualties of gunfire – Speaker Gbajabiamila

    Lekki Toll Gate: It’s clear there were casualties of gunfire – Speaker Gbajabiamila

    Nigeria’s Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila has called for a quick and thorough investigation to determine the facts of Tuesday night event where men in army uniform shot at unarmed peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll gate in Lagos. what happened last night in Lagos.

    The speaker, who in the days preceding what many now call the “Lekki toll mssacre” made attempt to resolve the issue of police brutality through legislation, affirmed that: “It is unavoidably and painfully clear that there were a number of casualties as a result of gunfire at the Lekki Toll Gate*.

    “Events in my home state Lagos, last night and up until this afternoon, have left my heart heavy and my spirit disturbed.

    READ ALSO:

    President Buhari Says He’s Committed to Lasting Police Reforms, Appeals for Calm

    “After sixty years, our democracy should have grown beyond the point where conflicting visions of nationhood result in violence on the streets and blood on the ground”, the Speaker said.

    In his statement, Gbajabiamila urged for calm whilst a truer picture of events is unraveled.

    “Our nation urgently needs and the Nigerian people deserve an accounting of the acts that led to the events of last night.

    READ ALSO:

    Video: Documented Account of Lekki Toll Gate Shooting

     

    “In Lagos and everywhere else, too much blood has already been spilled in our country, let there be no more.

    “May God bless and keep you all. And may God bless and keep our Federal Republic of Nigeria”, Speaker Gbajabiamila said.

  • Video: Documented Account of Lekki Toll Gate Shooting

    Video: Documented Account of Lekki Toll Gate Shooting

    On the night of Tuesday, October 20, 2020, barely a month that the world’s most populous black nation celebrated its 60th independence anniversary, men believed to be officers of the Nigerian Army were alleged to have shot at unarmed peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll gate area of Lagos State, Nigeria, where not less than 70 people have been reported to have died and several other badly injured.

    READ ALSO:

    #LekkiTollShooting: UN, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton Demand End to killing #EndSARS protesters

    The protesters at the Lekki Toll gate, agitating for a comprehensive reform of the police as a result of human rights abuse in form of extra-judicial killings, harrasement and unlawful arrests, had stood their grounds and defied the curfew imposed by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on the basis that the Nigerian constitution guarantees their right to peaceful gathering and protest.

    However, amidst international cries demanding that the President Muhammadu Buhari controlled Nigerian army cease shooting at unarmed peaceful protesters, the authorities in the army have denied being involved in what many now call the Lekki Toll massacre.

    READ ALSO:

    #Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Sanwo-Olu Distances Self, Points at Forces Beyond Control

    According to previous reports by Echotitbits, the Nigerian army debunked insinuations that it deployed forces across the country to quell the #EndSARS protest under the guise of “operation Crocodile Smile”.

    A screengrab of the Lekki Toll gate scene where men in army uniform confronted unarmed peaceful protesters with live ammunition.

    In a series of tweets, the army headquarters described the allegations as “fake news”.

    Tweet by the army authorities.

     

    A video reel by Vanguard Newspaper.

    On Tuesday morning, unconfirmed reports trended on social media alleging that uniformed men stormed healthcare facilities where some protesters who got injured were being treated.

  • #LekkiTollShooting: UN, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton Demand End to killing #EndSARS protesters

    #LekkiTollShooting: UN, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton Demand End to killing #EndSARS protesters

    The United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, have called on the Nigerian government to end the killing of protesters against police brutality in Nigeria.

    The spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, Stéphane Dujarric, in a statement stated to that “I’ve been asked about the ongoing protests in Nigeria and I can tell you that the Secretary-General is following the protests in Nigeria calling for the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and an end to human rights violations allegedly committed by security agencies.

    “The Secretary-General stresses the importance of respect for peaceful protests and freedom of assembly and calls on the security forces to exercise maximum restraint in the policing of the demonstrations. “The Secretary-General welcomes the decision by the Government of Nigeria to disband the Special Anti-Robbery Unit and undertake broader police reforms. He expresses the readiness of the United Nations to accompany Nigeria in those efforts,” the UN said.

    READ ALSO:

    PDP Condemns Lekki Shooting, Describes It as Massacre

    Similarly, the Deputy Secretary-General, who is a former Minister of Environment in Nigeria, Amina Mohammed, has also called on the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to cease killing unarmed protesters.

    According to Mohammed, “the UN & I are following the protests in #Nigeria calling for an end to human rights violations. I join the #UNSG in stressing the importance of respect for peaceful protests & freedom of assembly & call on the security forces to exercise maximum restraint.”

    Likewise, US presidential candidate of the Democratic Party, Joe Biden, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to bring to a halt the violent crackdown on #EndSARS protesters.

    According to a statement issued on Wednesday sighted by Echotitbits, Biden asked the federal government to engage in dialogue with the civil society in order to address citizens’ grievances.

    Furthermore, Biden stated that United States must show solidarity with Nigerians who are peacefully seeking police reform and asking for an end to corruption.

    “I urge President Buhari and the Nigerian military to cease the violent crackdown on protesters in Nigeria, which has already resulted in several deaths,” he said.

    “My heart goes out to all those who have lost a loved one in the violence. The United States must stand with Nigerians who are peacefully demonstrating for police reform and seeking an end to corruption in their democracy.

    READ ALSO:

    #Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Sanwo-Olu Distances Self, Points at Forces Beyond Control

    “I encourage the government to engage in a good-faith dialogue with civil society to address these long-standing grievances and work together for a more just and inclusive Nigeria.”

    Joining her voice to call for restraint by Nigerian forces, ex-US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, had appealed to President Buhari to stop the killing of the protesters.

    The former first lady of the US made the appeal in a tweet on Tuesday night. She lent her voice in support of those who had condemned the action of the soldiers.

    “I’m calling on Muhammadu Buhari  and the Nigerian army to stop killing young #EndSARS protesters,” she tweeted.

  • PDP Condemns Lekki Shooting, Describes It as Massacre

    PDP Condemns Lekki Shooting, Describes It as Massacre

    Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Tuesday night released video of Lekki shooting, describing it as a massacre.

    The opposition party condemned in very strong terms the killing of peaceful protesters at Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of the country.

    “It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

    “Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts,” PDP said.

    The party called on “President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.”

    “We invite the International Criminal Court (ICC) to bring all those responsible for the needless death of these very young Nigerians to justice,” PDP said, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan.

    Idowu Sowunmi