Tag: lockdown

  • Breaking: Robbers allegedly attack Abeokuta residents – Video

    Breaking: Robbers allegedly attack Abeokuta residents – Video

    Robbers have been reported to have stormed Ogun Radio, Rounder and Adeun areas along Aiyetoro road in Abeokuta.

    The incident was reported by a resident, Bola Hussein, who lives in the E2 area of Olomore Housing Estate in Abeokuta this Thursday afternoon.

    In a telephone chat with Echotitbits, Hussein confirmed the robbery incident, saying she had been in touch with friends who live in the affected areas.

    Hussein expressed fear that the robbers will not spare her area as her home is only about a 10minute drive from the affected areas.

    She said “There is a robbery going on, we don’t know what is happening, The chairman of our landlord association informed everybody now. We have been calling people living in Adeun, Ogun Radio, rounder, they said the robbery is going on right now. They are really attacking people entering houses.”

    It was gathered from Hussein, that the robbers were forcing their way into houses one after the other and attacking occupants. she also stated that the Assistant chairman of the Landlord Association in her area identified as Deluola, called to warn resident of the impending attack.

    “The Assistant Chairman of our landlord association in E2 Olomore, gave us the information when he called about 30 minutes ago,”

    While It is however not clear if the police in Abeokuta have responded to the incident as at 3pm, Hussein said “she has been hearing the whistle of security men, vigilantes alerting themselves”.

    Meanwhile, another resident of Sabo, Terry Asibor, who spoke to Echotitbits confirmed that he has seen videos on Whatsapp statuses of neighbors around Sowunmi, a neighborhood close to his home.

    He stated that, in the videos, security officials were seen ushering some boys in their vehicles.

    .

    Officers of Police Command Ogun believed to have arrested some suspects involved I’m Thursday’s attack on some residents In Abeokuta

     

  • Rape Threat: Nigerian Army arrests soldiers

    Rape Threat: Nigerian Army arrests soldiers

    The Nigerian Army has arrested two of its soldiers who threatened to rape women in Delta State in a viral video.

    The media had reported that two soldiers in the 26 seconds viral video claimed that residents of Warri, Delta State killed a soldier last Thursday, which was day two of the coronavirus lockdown ordered by the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa. The video also revealed how the two rogue soldiers threatened to attack women in Warri as a revenge for an unconfirmed and unproven killing of a Soldier.

    The video threat came hours after some soldiers killed a 28-year old man on Thursday leading to a faceoff between security officers and residents of the area. The soldiers were said to be members of a team deployed to the area to enforce the stay-at-home order by the State Government to combat the ravaging coronavirus.

    Meanwhile, the Delta State Police Command has confirmed that the deceased, identified as Joseph Pessu, was shot dead by soldiers. The Police also confirmed that no soldier was killed in Delta.

    In the viral video, one of the rogue soldiers wearing a military camouflage could be heard saying in Pidgin English “Warri people, una don buy job! Una kill soldier, baa?

    “Your mother…. I’ll make sure she carry HIV! Your daughters will carry HIV, your wives will carry HIV!”

    The Police Command in Delta described the video as detestable adding that it is much of a video the deadly Boko Haram terrorist group could have produced. They however assured residents that the incident is under investigation.

    The Nigerian Army on Friday, posted on its official Twitter page stating that the soldiers in the video have been arrested at 9 Brigade Ikeja Military Cantonment Lagos.

    The post read – “The general public should be assured that the investigations will be swift and fair in accordance with applicable military laws. The outcome of the investigations will determine the most appropriate disciplinary measures that can be taken in the circumstances.”

    The Army did not disclose the rank or identity of the soldiers but stated that they are being investigated.

  • Lockdown: Delta tasks Military over alleged killing of 28-year old

    Lockdown: Delta tasks Military over alleged killing of 28-year old

    The Delta State Government has called for investigation to unravel what led to the alleged killing of a 28-year old man by security agents in Warri.

    According to a statement issued on Thursday by the commissioner for Information, Charles Aniagwu, the state government said it is worried about the incident.

    While the government decried the alleged killing of the victim by security operatives, Aniagwu enjoined residents to remain calm.

    The Commissioner stated that a state government delegation has been instructed to visit the home of the deceased and condole with the family.

    Aniagwu added that military authorities have been tasked with conducting an investigation into the matter.

    On Thursday, day two of the lockdown order by the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, news had broke out that military operatives deployed to enforce the restriction had shot down the victim in Ugbuwangue community in Warri South Local Government Area (LGA) of the State.

    The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Onome Onovwakpoyeya confirmed the killing. She said “yes, it is true, it just happened today, as I was told”, she however noted that details of the incident were still unclear