Tag: money

  • CBN demands power to freeze accounts linked to criminals; credit tribunal

    CBN demands power to freeze accounts linked to criminals; credit tribunal

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Wednesday demanded statutory powers from the Nigerian Senate to enable freeze bank accounts that are linked to criminal suspects.

    This demand was made on behalf of CBN by the Director, Legal Services, Mr Kofo Salam-Alade, who appeared before a Senate Committee Hearing for a new Act seeking to replace the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act (BOFIA) of 2004.

    The lawmakers have commenced the process of repealing/replacing BOFIA 2004 with the re-enactment of BOFIA 2020. However, a particular omission in the new bill has the CBN worried.

    In his presentation to the committee, Salam-Alada pointed out that the new BOFIA bill has ‘inadvertently’ omitted a clause that should normally grant the CBN Governor the power to freeze any bank accounts linked to criminals, subject court order.

    In 2004, the BOFIA Act had contained this clause. However, the new bill seeking to re-enact BOFIA does not have it. Interestingly, this new bill has passed its second reading at the senate, meaning that it could soon become law.

    According to Salam-Alade, the clause should be re-introduced into the new BOFIA bill in order not to frustrate the CBN’s fight against fraud and other financial crimes.

    “This omission erodes the powers of the CBN and creates a huge gap in the regulatory and resolution framework. Therefore, we propose that the extant provisions should be reinstated,” Salam-Alada argued.

    Also, the CBN director called on the lawmakers to consider the creation of a credit tribunal saddled with the responsibility of addressing persistent issue of non-performing loans in the banking sector.

    Salam-Alada explained that such tribunal will fast-track the recovery of loans from banks and other financial institutions through the enforcement of rights over collaterals.

    “As part of measures to address the role of nonperforming loans, we propose the creation of a credit tribunal. The overarching objective is to create an efficient regime for the recovery of eligible loans of banks and other financial institutions and enforcement of rights over collateral securities.

    “Several new types of licensed institutions have entered the Nigerian financial services sector since the enactment of the 1991 Act. These include the non-interest banks, credit bureaux, payment system service providers, among others. There is a compelling need to introduce new provisions in the bill to address the unique peculiarities of these institutions”, he said.

    As a matter of importance to the Apex bank, Salam-Alade also raised the issue of intervention, pointing to the committee the omission of  power granted the CBN to intervene and rescue a failing bank in the new BOFIA bill.

  • Ize-Iyamu: Alleged N700m case against APC Edo guber candidate adjourned

    Ize-Iyamu: Alleged N700m case against APC Edo guber candidate adjourned

    Trial of Pastor, Osagie Ize-Iyamu and four others in an alleged fraud case has been adjourned till July 7 by a Federal High Court sitting in Benin, on Thursday.

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) a Governorship candidate of the in the September 19 contest for the seat of Edo Governor, Ize-Iyamu and four other accused are standing trial for charges bordering on an alleged N700 million money laundering case filed against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

    Ize-Iyamu and four others were supposed to appear on Thursday before Justice M.G. Umar today, Thursday.

    According to Premium Times, there was no court sitting, but it was observed that some of the defendants and counsels were around the premises.

    Premium Times further reported that while speaking to journalists, counsel to one of the accused, Barrister Pascal Ugbomhe, said the case had been adjourned till July 7.

    While It was reported that the counsel did not specify the reason why the court sitting was adjourned, Ugbomhe said, “it is a normal occurrence in court duties. It’s nothing unusual to adjourn matters.

    In its last sitting in Benin on June 18, the court had validated the corruption charges against the defendants and adjourned the case to July 2, for further hearing.

    The four other defendants in the suit include former Edo State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Chairman, Dan Orbih; the state chairman of the party, Tony Aziegbemi; former Deputy Governor of Edo State Lucky Imasuen, and Efe Erimuoghae-Anthony.

    The EFCC, in Suit No. FHC/BE21C/ 2016, had filed eight count charges against the accused persons bordering on alleged illegal receipt of public funds to the tune of N700 million for the purpose of the 2015 general elections.

    The EFCC further accused the defendants of conspiring among themselves to commit the offence in March, 2015, alleging that they took possession and control of the funds without any contract award.

  • IGR: We earned over N81.4 billion in 2019 – says Ogun Government

    IGR: We earned over N81.4 billion in 2019 – says Ogun Government

    The Ogun State government has reacted to some media reports that erroneously claimed the state generated merely Seventy billion, nine hundred and twenty two million, five hundred and ninety thousand, four hundred and ninety five naira, eighty nine kobo (N70,922,590,495.89) as internally generated revenue for year 2019 In their review of Internally Generated Revenues record of the 36 States of the Federation.

    A statement by the Information Officer, Ministry of Finance, Segun Craig, Friday said “from the audited account of the state for 2019, which was published in some national newspapers, the actual figure of Ogun State Internally Generated Revenue stands at N81,420,131,107.30 (Eighty one Billion, four hundred and twenty million, one hundred and thirty one thousand, one hundred and seven naira, thirty kobo only)”.

    Craig noted that whatever figure that is being quoted differently from the official number by the State Ministry of Finance should be disregarded.

    READ ALSO: President Buhari requests house approval for fresh N5.513 billion

    In his words of caution, Craig advised all stakeholders, including the general public to stay guided by on information pertaining to he state so as not to be misled.

    “The State Government, through the office of the Hon. Commissioner of Finance and Chief Economic Adviser to the Governor hereby deems it highly expedient to advise all relevant stakeholders in the financial sector and beyond, and to also call on the reading public to be properly guided” he added.

  • Breaking: President Buhari requests House approval for fresh $5.513 billion

    Breaking: President Buhari requests House approval for fresh $5.513 billion

    The Presidency says it will require additional fresh external loan of $5.513 billion to finance 2020 budget deficit.

    In a letter addressed to the House of Representatives to seek approval and read during Thursday’s plenary by the Speaker, Rt. Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila, President Muhammadu Buhari appealed that the fresh funds will be used to fund the 2020 budget deficit, finance critical projects and some States needing financial assistance.

    READ ALSO: NDDC Crisis: Acting Finance Director is dead, sources suspect poisoning

    As part of his correspondence to the House, President Buhari presented a reviewed 2020 Appropriation Bill and 2020-20222 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper.

    While another $22.79 billion request is still pending before the House, recall that the National Assembly had recently approved a loan of N850 billion for the use of the Federal Government.

  • Tony Elumelu Foundation invests $7.35 million in African entrepreneurs

    Tony Elumelu Foundation invests $7.35 million in African entrepreneurs

    By Tobiloba Kolawole

    No less than 5,000 African entrepreneurs, private and public sector leaders and the broader entrepreneurship ecosystem converged on Lagos on Thursday, October 25, 2018 for the annual Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) Entrepreneurship Forum. The event is a unique opportunity for bringing together young business talent, creating dynamic networks and transmitting the message to policymakers that a vibrant and responsible private sector will deliver economic transformation.

    The forum which is now in its fourth year,  is the graduation of the 2018 cohort of the TEF Entrepreneurship Programme, after a tedious nine-month duration of training, mentorship and funding. This brought the total number of beneficiaries of the Programme to 4,470 and about 300,000 applications received since the start of the entrepreneurial initiative.

    A major highlight of this year’s forum was the unveiling of TEFConnect, a revolutionary digital community that serves as a complete convergence of the entrepreneurship ecosystem across Africa and beyond. The platform includes entrepreneurs, investors and the broader business community in one digital community, connecting them with three vital elements for success – capital, market and business tools. TEFConnect brings to fulfillment a key responsibility in bringing together entrepreneurs across the Africa, a continent that is riding a wave of rapid technological driven change spreading through payment systems, education, agriculture and infrastructure.

    The event commenced with a battery of goodwill messages from major stakeholders in the investment, governmental and development communities. Other important highlights were pitching competition, panel discussions, as well as a vibrant interactive session between the Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo and entrepreneurs; and moderated by TEF Founder, Tony O. Elumelu.

    The event also included a marketplace exhibition where past beneficiaries of the programme showcased their products and services.