Reporting by The Punch says the Kano NSCDC command removed a divisional officer after a suspect died in custody, indicating internal disciplinary action alongside an inquiry. (more…)
Tag: NSCDC
-

Interior Minister Decorates 133 Newly Promoted NSCDC Commandants
Reporting by The Nation indicates that the Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, has decorated 133 newly promoted Commandants of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC). Represented by Maj.-Gen. Abdulmalik Jibrin (retd.), the Minister urged the officers to justify their ranks by strengthening intelligence gathering nationwide.
The promotion is part of a strategy to reposition the NSCDC, especially following the reported transfer of some VIP protection duties from the Nigeria Police to the Corps. The Minister said today’s security challenges require merit-based leadership that can respond quickly to threats against critical infrastructure.
NSCDC Commandant General Prof. Ahmed Audi reportedly warned officers against political lobbying for postings and stressed that career growth should come through service, hard work, and mentoring subordinates.
Leadership Newspaper and Daily Post also reported on the ceremony and its timing as the Corps takes on expanded responsibilities.
Echotitbits take: This looks like an effort to strengthen internal security architecture so the military can focus on frontline combat, while the NSCDC deepens domestic intelligence and infrastructure protection.
Source: The Nation – https://thenationonlineng.net/133-nscdc-commandants-decorated-with-new-ranks/ 2026-01-09
Photo Credit: The Nation
-

NSCDC Confirms Attack on Niger Outpost, Says Officers Are Safe
Photo Credit: GazetteNGR (NAN)
2025-12-25 10:05:00In an update published by GazetteNGR (via NAN), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps confirmed a terrorist attack on its officers stationed at the Wawa area of Borgu LGA in Niger State.
The report says the incident involved an assault on the NSCDC post, with attackers carting away a rifle and personal items during the raid, triggering immediate security concerns around remote outposts.
Crucially, the NSCDC’s Niger command said the personnel involved were not missing after all, stressing that “officers involved in the attack had been accounted for and were safe.”
Other outlets also reported the same incident, including Daily Post and Daily Trust, as the security services intensify efforts to secure border-adjacent and hard-to-reach communities in Niger’s northern corridors.
Echotitbits take: The “accounted for and safe” clarification is important, but the bigger signal is vulnerability of lightly manned outposts—especially where attackers can seize weapons. Watch for whether NSCDC escalates joint patrols with police/army, and whether Niger’s security architecture shifts toward better early warning and rapid response.
Source: GazetteNGR (NAN) — December 24, 2025 (https://gazettengr.com/terrorists-attack-nscdc-officers-at-niger-lg-cart-away-rifle-belongings/)
GazetteNGR (NAN) 2025-12-24
-

Safe School Project plans more deployments as kidnapping risks persist
Photo Credit: A school classroom session – Facebook/Nigerian Teachers
2025-12-14According to The Punch, the National Safe Schools Response and Coordination Centre says more security personnel will be deployed to schools to strengthen protection and deter attacks amid kidnapping concerns.
Officials say the approach blends intelligence-led operations with visible security measures to reduce school vulnerability in high-risk locations.
On its official platform, the NSSRCC describes its work as enhancing security for schools through coordination with security agencies and rapid response mechanisms.
The Guardian Nigeria has previously highlighted gaps in school protection and warned that many schools remain exposed despite funding announcements, keeping pressure on implementation.
Analysis/Echotitbits take: School protection announcements are common—execution is the real test. Watch for state-by-state coverage, quick-response effectiveness, and whether community early-warning systems and safe transportation measures actually reduce abductions and attacks in the next quarter.
Source: The Punch — 14 Dec 2025 (https://punchng.com/kidnapping-safe-school-project-to-deploy-more-security-personnel/)
-

Abuja Warehouse Looting: NSCDC Dismisses Officer who Carts Away Palliatives
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has dismissed a Corps Assistant, Illiya Ibrahim of the Gwagwalada Division Abuja, who was caught in a viral video carting away some items that were stored in a warehouse as Covid-19 palliatives.
The NSCDC Tuesday night disclosed this In a statement issued by the Media Assistant to the Commandant General NSCDC,
Gbenga Ekunola, and made available to journalists.According to Ekunola, the NSCDC had punished the officer identified as Illiya Ibrahim by dismissing him from the service in relation to the looting of Covid-19 palliatives discovered in a warehouse in Gwagwalada, Abuja on Monday.
READ ALSO:
Abuja Palliative Warehouse: Three Women Feared Dead in Looting Spree Stampede
The warehouse containing COVID-19 palliatives was discovered by residents around the area who stormed the facility belonging to the Gwagwalada Council Area to loot the items.
The dismissed officer was seen to have joined the looting spree as the video trending online clearly reveals him carrying away in his hands some items to the cheers of invading crowd.
Ekunola said in the statement that: “The Commandant General Abdullahi Gana Muhammadu has approved the recommendation of the Junior Staff Disciplinary Committee for the dismissal of Illiya Ibrahim of the Gwagwalada Division for joining hoodlums in looting Covid-19 palliatives discovered in a warehouse in Gwagwalada, Abuja. The recommendation was given after the officer was charged under the public service rule which is related to unbecoming conduct of officers.
READ ALSO:
“This disciplinary measure was taken after series of investigations and deliberations by the junior disciplinary committee and recommendations were made to the management,” Ekunola said.
The Media Assistant also disclosed that the NSCDC Commandant is appreciative of officers and men of the Corps including members of the public for providing useful information that has continued to assist the Corps in identifying unfit individuals within the ranks for appropriate action.
-

NSDC Parades 29 Suspects for Illegal Mining in Imo
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) on Saturday parades 29 suspected illegal miners who operate at different sites in Imo.
The State Commandant, NSCDC, Danjuma Elisha who paraded the alleged illegal miners on Saturday said the suspects were arrested following a directive by Gov. Hope Uzodimma to crack down on illegal mining operators in the state.
The suspects, Elisha said we’re arrested by a combined team involving the Military, Police and the Federal Road Safety Commission among others.
Elisha said that he would conduct the profiling on the suspects before charging them to court.
“We are here to work and we must carry out the governor’s directive to its fullest by ensuring that the environment is safe for all.
“Illegal mining is impacting negatively on the lives of people in Imo.
“It is one of the causes of landslide and heavy flooding, so we will not allow it to happen again,” he said.
The arrest operation was a feat achieved due to the existing collaboration and synergy of operations among security agencies in Imo state.
According to NAN, one of the suspects, Kelechi Nwokocha, who pleaded for forgiveness, confessed that he was in the business for seven years.
“I was arrested at Worie River at Nekede Old Road.
“I am aware that we are doing illegal business and our mining activities are impacting negatively on the environment.
“If I am given a second chance, I will not go back to illegal mining again,” he said.
NAN reports that Gov. Uzodimma had recently announced a ban on illegal mining and directed security agencies to crack down on suspects.
