Tag: Olusegun Obasanjo

  • #LekkiTollGate: Withdraw Army from Streets, Use Dialogue – Ex-President Obasanjo tells Buhari

    #LekkiTollGate: Withdraw Army from Streets, Use Dialogue – Ex-President Obasanjo tells Buhari

    Former President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo has appealed to the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government and citizens alike to eschew violence and embrace peace and dialogue to resolve issues surrounding the #EndSARS agitation.

    The appeal was given on Wednesday in video recording and a letter that is now widely circulated on the internet.

    Obasanjo, who was once a military Head of State condemned the shooting and murder of unarmed peaceful protesters and said the use of brute force has never been effective in suppressing public anger and frustration.

    In his appeal to President Buhari, Obasanjo Calls for the withdrawal of men of the Nigerian army from the streets.

    “It is clear that Mr. President and his lieutenants did not exhaust the opportunities for dialogue with the protesters before resorting to the use of force.

    “It is worse that there is denial of wrongdoing in spite of overwhelming visual evidence. Great harm has been done buy it can be stopped before it completely spirals out of control”.

    He asked Buhari to act now before it is too late.

    ”This time demands leadership and mature leadership at such”, he wrote.

    Video:

    Read his full statement:

  • Lai Mohammed Tackles Obasanjo over Statement on Nigeria’s Failed State Status

    Lai Mohammed Tackles Obasanjo over Statement on Nigeria’s Failed State Status

    Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, Sunday joined the fray to market the credentials of President Muhammadu Buhari, but berated the administration of former president Olusegun Obasanjo and other critcs, saying their reckless elocution could not foster peace and unity in Nigeria.

    The minister said it’s a cruel irony that those who frittered away a great opportunity to put Nigeria on a sound socio-economic footing, at a time of financial buoyancy, and those who planted the seed of the insecurity in some parts of the country today, are the same ones pointing an accusing finger at a reformist government of Buhari.

    READ ALSO:

    PDP Replies Presidency, Advises Buhari to Heed Wise Counsel

    He noted that Buhari’s assumption of office in 2015 prevented Nigeria from becoming a failed state, after a long stretch of rapacious and rudderless leadership.

    Mohammed, in a statement in Abuja, said Buhari came into office at a time that a swathe of the country’s territory was under occupation, a period when many Nigerian towns and cities, including the capital city of Abuja, were a playground for insurgents and a moment that the nation’s wealth had been looted dry, with little or nothing to show for the nation’s huge earnings, especially in the area of infrastructure.

    According to him, “In one of the most difficult moments in the nation’s history, Nigeria is fortunate to have at the helm a leader who is not only dedicated, selfless and patriotic, but one who is globally acknowledged for his discipline, integrity and vision. Those who genuinely love Nigeria will support, rather than subvert, this committed leadership.

    “Nigeria today faces a lot of challenges. But whatever situation the country has found itself in, things would have been much worse but for the deft management of resources, unprecedented fight against corruption, determined battle against insurgency and banditry as well as the abiding courage of Mr. President in piloting the ship of state.

    ”Nigeria today is not a failed state, but a nation that is courageously tackling its challenges and building a solid infrastructure that will serve as the basis for socio-economic development, a nation that is unrelenting in battling insecurity and working hard to ensure greatest prosperity for the greatest number of people.”

    He said no government in the history of the country has done so much with so little, as the Buhari administration is doing presently, adding that with 60 per cent less national income, the administration is making progress on all fronts and setting the country on the path of sustainable growth and development.

    The minister said while naysayers are hyping the instances of insecurity in the country, they have conveniently forgotten that the country could have been overrun by insurgents and bandits if Buhari had not rallied regional and international allies to tackle, headlong, the Boko Haram insurgency that saw bombs going off like firecrackers before his assumption of office, and an estimated 20,000 square miles of the nation’s territory occupied by insurgents.

    ”They tout the downturn in economic fortunes without putting things in context. With the COVID-19 pandemic forcing a global shutdown and a drastic fall in global oil demand, Nigeria lost 60 per cent of its earnings, yet the administration has ensured that not a single worker has been retrenched, has paid salaries as and when due and has continued to build infrastructures like roads, rails, bridges and power, among others, that will serve many generations.

    READ ALSO:

    Buhari Media Aides Attack Obasanjo, Say the Difference is Clear Between Two Leaders

    ”They aggravate the national fault lines with their angry and unguarded actions and rhetoric, forgetting that while national fissures are amplified at a time of dwindling economic fortunes, what is needed to foster peace and unity is not reckless elocution but responsible and responsive leadership, the kind being offered by President Buhari,” he said.

    Mohammed said Nigeria is on the road to greatness, despite the challenges confronting the nation, citing the hard push towards food sufficiency; the modernisation of the rail system; the nationwide construction of roads and bridges; the reform in the oil and gas
    sector; the unprecedented anti-corruption battle, the diversification of the economy and the renewed effort to ensure a steady power supply, anchored on a three-phase project that is expected to deliver 25,000MW of electricity in the next few years.

    The minister thanked Nigerians for their perseverance and understanding, especially against the backdrop of the stifling effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the economy, and appealed to them to continue to support the administration, as it seeks to lift 100 million people out of poverty in the next 10 years.

    Idowu Sowunmi

  • PDP Replies Presidency, Advises Buhari to Heed Wise Counsel

    PDP Replies Presidency, Advises Buhari to Heed Wise Counsel

    Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has, again, cautioned President Muhammadu Buhari to come down from his high horse and listen to advice from eminent Nigerians, who have been advising him against allowing the country to tumble from the cliff under his watch.

    PDP said the Buhari Presidency “is worsening the sorry state in which it has plunged the nation by choosing to haul insults on Nigerians including former president like Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and other well-meaning leaders, who are patriotically calling on his administration to end its divisive, suppressive and insensitive style of leadership that has ruined our nation.”

    The opposition party implored Buhari to pause, think of Nigeria and her people and heed wise counsel to save our nation from an imminent collapse, which his alleged idling administration has foisted on the people.

    “From its reactions to patriotic counsel, it is clear that the Buhari Presidency has become bereft of the fundamentals of governance as well as overwhelmed by its own failures and burden of guilt for the disunity, bloodletting and anguish that have enveloped our nation in the last five years.

    “It is incontrovertible that the Buhari administration is leading Nigeria into a failed state, where citizens are not guaranteed of their safety; cannot afford the basic necessities of life and where governance has been crippled by incompetence, unbridled nepotism, promotion of injustice, executive high handedness, abuse of human right, disobedience to court orders, brazen violation of constitutional provisions, acute corruption and violent muscling of elections.

    “Under Buhari, all sectors of our national life are in shambles; the productive sectors have been crippled; the nation has been pushed into the reverse gear; bandits, insurgents and marauders are freely ravaging communities and our citizens live in constant fear and extreme poverty.

    “Indeed, never in the history of our nation has the situation been this pathetic.

    “While President Buhari recedes in the comfort and safety of the Presidential villa and reneged in his promise to lead from the front, Nigeria is being pushed to the fringes by marauders who are pillaging our citizens in various parts of our country, including Mr. President’s home state of Katsina.

    “Furthermore, it smacks of shamelessness for the Buhari administration to be talking about corruption in PDP’s subsidy regime, when it has been caught neck-deep in unprecedented oil corruption that had ruined our economy, turned our nation into the poverty capital of the world and put our citizens in a dire strait.

    “Nigerians know it as a fact that before he was elected President, General Buhari, as he was then known; a former minister of Petroleum Resources, had publicly told Nigerians that subsidy was a fraud and that it never existed. Five years down the line, trillions of naira have been discovered to have been stolen under the subsidy regime of an administration over which he presides.

    “Today, life has become traumatising for Nigerians as resources from the sale of crude oil have either been wasted or stolen by officials of the Buhari administration.

    “Furthermore, it is undebatable that the biggest achievement of constitutional amendment in modern administration of our country is the entrenchment of a credible electoral process, which enabled President Buhari to win election in 2015 from an opposition standpoint. Unfortunately, this noble achievement is being washed away in five years under the watch of President Buhari.

    “It therefore amounts to pretending to sanctimony for President Buhari to be preaching on term limit, whereas, his administration has done everything possible, broken all known democratic norms and rules to debase credibility in our elections,” PDP said, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan.

    Idowu Sowunmi