Category: Politics

  • APC Crisis: Buhari directs litigations be suspended to avoid self destruct

    APC Crisis: Buhari directs litigations be suspended to avoid self destruct

    President Muhammadu Buhari Thursday in Abuja advised members of the governing party, All Progressives Congress (APC), to withdraw all pending litigations against one another, and settle for internal reconciliation, warning that the mutating disagreements could lead to self-destruction, with dire consequences.

    In his remarks at the emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee of the APC held on a virtual platform, the President said the gains of the party could be reversed as conflicts overshadow the primary objective of service to the people.

    While urging members to refocus on the larger picture, he admonished placing more emphasis on uniting the party.

    “Fellow party members, this is a very crucial moment in the life of our party and it is with a deep sense of concern that I stand before you today to speak as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who has been elected on the platform of our great party – the All Progressives Congress.

    “The issues currently confronting our party at this time are such that should worry every party member. At the moment, our great party is faced with internal wrangling; there are on-going litigations amongst some party members and we cannot clearly ascertain the status of certain National Working Committee (NWC) members”, the President said.

    Buhari also expressed worry over the shifting loyalty within the party and inconsistency in leadership, which had opened the governing party to mockery.

    “There are also other associated disputes as to the legitimacy or otherwise of holders of certain National Offices of the Party. The Party is also contending with Judicial claims and counter-claims, Orders and Counter-Orders and indeed Judgments and Counter-Judgments that are predominantly at cross-purposes.

    “Confronted with these issues, it is obvious that the fortunes of the party are currently in jeopardy, administration of our party is becoming impossible and there is consequently an urgent need for intervention to immediately arrest further drifts and internal wrangling which may lead to total disintegration.

    “What we see clearly emerging, is that we are beginning to self-destruct. This, my dear party members, is not just regrettable but utterly gut wrenching’’, he stated.

    To find a solution to the impasse within the party, President Buhari proposed that: “The meeting may adopt the developed resolution as contained in the agenda and pass resolutions including: approving the immediate discontinuation of all pending litigations involving the party and its members; ratifying the primary election conducted in Edo State; dissolving the current National Working Committee, and appointing caretaker/Extra-ordinary Convention Planning committee for the party.’’

    Furthermore, he reiterated the need to discontinue all litigations involving members of the party, which were connected to issues of the party.

    He added that: “The directive had been issued before, unfortunately some members failed to heed the directive. Thus, at this time, it must be made a Resolution of the Party which must be effectively enforced with dire consequences for members who choose to ignore the directive.’’

    The President emphasised that in order to return to the “winning ways’’, the APC must maintain cohesion by closing its ranks.

    “We must be alive to the time and the task that is before us. As we all know, we are immediately confronted with the upcoming gubernatorial elections in Edo and Ondo States. Therefore, this is the time to get our acts together”, he said further.

    The emergency NEC meeting adopted all the recommendations by President Buhari, and appointed the Governor of Yobe State, Mallam Mai Buni, as Caretaker National Chairman, while Senator John Akpanudoede was designated Caretaker National Secretary.

  • Breaking…Yobe State Governor Speaks on in APC NEC Meeting: We Didn’t Break Any Law

    Breaking…Yobe State Governor Speaks on in APC NEC Meeting: We Didn’t Break Any Law

    Idowu Sowunmi
    Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni, who was Thursday appointed as the Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Caretaker Committee and Extraordinary National Convention, has justified the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting called by the Acting National Chairman of the party, Victor Giadom.
    Buni said: “As a former two-term National Secretary, I know the party very well, and it’s all about doing justice to every member of the party. Without justice there won’t be peace. If you don’t manage crisis obviously crisis will manage you.
    “Today’s NEC Meeting is a Continuation of the last adjourned NEC Meeting. So, we are in no way in any aberration regarding the party constitution.”
    NEC meeting also ratified all decisions taken in respect of Edo State gubernatorial primaries.
    Other members that would serve as Convention Planning Committee include: Governors Gboyega Oyetola and Abubakar Bello of Osun and Niger states.
    Apart from President Muhammadu Buhari, the meeting was also attended by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo; APC Acting National Chairman, Victor Giadom; governors, senators, members of House of Representatives among others.
  • Just In: APC NEC dissolves National Working Committee

    Just In: APC NEC dissolves National Working Committee

    The current National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been dissolved.

    This formed part of decisions taken on Thursday at the ongoing meeting of the APC National Executive Council at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

    The party took the decision to dissolve its NWC based on the recommendations of President Muhammadu Buhari.

    The President also called for the immediate suspension of all pending litigations involving the party and its members, as well as the ratification of the party’s governorship primary election recently conducted in Edo State.

    He condemned the recent crisis within the party, stressing the need for members to enforce party discipline.

    President Buhari, therefore, appointed Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni, to head the new Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee for the party.

    The governor was immediately sworn in at the meeting by the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) Abubakar Malami.

  • APC: Buhari, Osinbajo and some Governors attend NEC meeting

    APC: Buhari, Osinbajo and some Governors attend NEC meeting

    All Progressives Congress (APC) National Executive Council (NEC) meeting has commenced in Abuja.

    The meeting is ongoing at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa has some party chieftains participate in the session virtually.

    READ ALSO: Police seals off APC national headquarters again

    Those in attendance at the venue are President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, some state governors and members of the National Assembly, as well as the acting APC National Chairman, Victor Giadom.

  • Police seals off APC national headquarters again

    Police seals off APC national headquarters again

    Officers of the Nigerian Police Force have taken over the national secretariat of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Abuja.

    This comes two days after a team of security operatives sealed off the party’s office in the nation’s capital, purportedly on the orders of the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu.

    Thursday’s incident also comes ahead of the APC National Executive Council (NEC) meeting scheduled to take place at the Presidential Villa.

    As early as 9am, two Toyota Hilux patrol vans and two Peugeot 604 cars were stationed at strategic positions around the party’s secretariat.

    Members of staff at the secretariat who had arrived early were asked to move out of their offices.

    The APC National Working Committee (NWC) led by Mr Victor Giadom had on Tuesday got the Presidential backing to convene the National Executive Committee meeting expected to hold virtually from the Presidential Villa.

    However, the other NWC led by Senator Abiola Ajimobi faulted the convocation of the meeting which was described as illegal.

    In a statement jointly signed by the National Vice Chairman (South South), Mr Hillard Eta, and the acting National Secretary, Mr Waziri Bulama, the NWC said they would not attend the NEC meeting convened by Mr Giadom.

    Just as the incident on Tuesday, the seal off is also alleged to be at the instance of the Inspector General of Police who directed the Commissioner of Police at the FCT Command to ensure that nobody is allowed into the secretariat.

    Shortly after arriving at the APC secretariat, Bulama who was also denied entry into the premises said the police sealed off the place, based on orders from above.

  • Ajimobi’s APC NWC to Buhari: You’re ill-advised, don’t attend Giadom’s NEC Meeting

    Ajimobi’s APC NWC to Buhari: You’re ill-advised, don’t attend Giadom’s NEC Meeting

    Idowu Sowunmi

    Ahead of tomorrow’s virtual meeting of the National Executive Council of the All Progressives Congress (APC) called by the party’s Acting National Chairman, Victor Giadom, the factional leaders of the party Wednesday said they would boycott the meeting, which President Muhammadu Buhari has signified his interest to attend.

    The factional leaders under the chairmanship of Senator Abiola Ajimobi-led National Working Committee (NWC) described tomorrow’s meeting as illegal.

    Rising from a meeting at APC National Secretariat in Abuja in Wednesday night, Ajimobi’s NWC said the President must have been ill-advised or blackmailed into accepting the proposal for Thursday’s meeting.

    “We wish to unequivocally state that members of the National Working Committee (NWC) believe that the President was offered wrong advice or blackmailed into lending his weighty office to the illegality of the National Executive Committee meeting purportedly convened by one Victor Giadom on 25th June, 2020.

    “We hereby respectfully implore Mr. President to kindly avail himself with facts of the matter regarding the impasse presently experienced by the party so as to guide him in his assessment of the matter because we are sure that the President if properly advised, would come to the conclusion that the meeting convened by Chief Victor Giadom bothers on illegality and criminality.

    “The National Working Committee (NWC) regrets to turn down the invitation to the illegal and unconstitutional National Executive Committee (NEC) convened by Chief Victor Giadom.

    “We believe that attending such a meeting will amount to embracing illegalities and turning a blind eye to the infractions on the constitution of our great party,” said a statement signed by the National Vice Chairman (South-south), Hilliard Eta who is standing in for Ajimobi; and co-signed by the party’s National Secretary, Waziri Bulama.

    Letter by the Ajimobi NWC factional Acting Chairman, Hilliard Eta
  • APC Crisis: How Amaechi’s intervention made Buhari to recognise Giadom’s faction

    APC Crisis: How Amaechi’s intervention made Buhari to recognise Giadom’s faction

    Idowu Sowunmi

    It’s no longer news that President Muhammadu Buhari has recognised Victor Giadom as Acting National Chairman, with a promise to attending the virtual meeting called by Giadom tomorrow afternoon.

    Speaking through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, Buhari admitted that he has been well schooled and legally advised accordingly on the crisis rocking the All Progressives Congress (APC).

    “The President has received very convincing advice on the position of the law as far as the situation in the party is concerned and has determined that the law is on the side of Victor Giadom as Acting National Chairman. Because he will always act in accordance with the law, the President will be attending the virtual meeting Giadom called for tomorrow afternoon.

    “We urge the media to stop promoting manufactured controversies and to not give any further room for mischievous interpretations of the law on this matter.

    “In addition to the President, the Giadom meeting will, hopefully, be attended by our Governors and the leaders of the National Assembly,” said a statement by Shehu, in response to enquiry by some journalists.

    Sources at the Presidency said Buhari’s new position was made possible by the intervention of the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi.

    Amaechi’s singular effort has made some political analysts to describe him as the new kid on the block of Nigerian politics.

    “He (Amaechi) understands the game of power. He practises politics with so much dexterity and sagacity. His influence looms larger than life in the Presidency. When he speaks and analyses politics, every one is often taken awe.

    “That’s how he succeeded in winning President Buhari and other key people in Presidency to accept the candidacy of Victor Giadom as the Acting National Chairman of APC. The deal is done. Welcome to a new era in the ruling party,” said the source.

    Amaechi’s intervention was coming after Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi, and Giadom made unsuccessful frantic efforts to meet Buhari over the APC crisis.

    Though the duo visited the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Tuesday night, they could not see the President. Instead, the President’s Chief of Staff, Ibrahim Gambari, attended to them.

    Earlier, Amaechi claimed he had decided to keep out of the crisis rocking APC because he did not want to get involved in politics, noting that he’s not sure what the cause of the crisis was.

    He had said: “What is happening in APC, I don’t know; what is happening in Rivers State, I don’t know. What I’ve done is to keep away from politics. Even if I’m bothered, it’ll be internally.

    “There’s nobody there (in the party) who is a child; we’re all adults. I don’t want to get involved in politics.

    “Nigerians know me for being blunt and honest. Some see it as arrogance, some see it as being brash, whatever it is. What do I need to say that I have not said before? It’s internal dynamics of politics, it’s internal struggle.

    “So, I have said it several times. When we fought in 2015, I said this country cannot continue the way it is going. I’m not helpless, but I’m doing what they call ‘siddon look (sit down and look).”

    But, on Wednesday his politics of “siddon look” took flight to unknown destination as he moved in to save the party from further crisis.

    With Giadom’s recognition, it may be politically difficult for Adams Oshiomhole and his sympathisers to return to the leadership mantle of APC.

    As APC supporters and Nigerians await the official statements of Mr. President tomorrow afternoon during the party’s virtual meeting called by Giadom, one thing seems to be certain for now: there’s a new sheriff in town and the ruling party may not be the same again.

  • Just in…Buhari Recognises Giadom as Acting National Chairman of APC

    Just in…Buhari Recognises Giadom as Acting National Chairman of APC

    Idowu Sowunmi

    President Muhammadu Buhari Wednesday recognised Victor Giadom as Acting National Chairman, saying he has received very convincing advice on the position of the law as far as the situation in the party is concerned.

    “The President has received very convincing advice on the position of the law as far as the situation in the party is concerned and has determined that the law is on the side of Victor Giadom as Acting National Chairman. Because he will always act in accordance with the law, the President will be attending the virtual meeting Giadom called for tomorrow afternoon.

    “We urge the media to stop promoting manufactured controversies and to not give any further room for mischievous interpretations of the law on this matter.

    “In addition to the President, the Giadom meeting will, hopefully, be attended by our Governors and the leaders of the National Assembly,” said a statement by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in response to enquiry by some journalists.

    More to follow…

  • PDP Primary: Court stands down suit seeking to stop Obaseki

    PDP Primary: Court stands down suit seeking to stop Obaseki

    As the political standoff within the peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo State unfolds, there is indication that embattled Governor Godwin Obaseki may finally participate without hindrance, in the party’s governorship primary election scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday.

    This comes after the Federal High Court in Port Harcourt granted the request by one of the governorship aspirants, Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, to have the matter stood down to enable an out of court settlement.

    Ogbeide-ihama had filed a suit seeking the court to bar any member of the party that has purchased forms but not screened within the time stipulated to contest the PDP primary.

    Ogbeide-ihama’s suit was granted accelerated hearing by the court yesterday. However, before the hearing on the application today, Wednesday, Ogbeide-Ihama’s counsel requested that the court stood down the case for some time.

    The presiding judge, Justice Emmanuel Obile, granted the prayers after the counsel to all the defendants aligned with the request.

    Governor Obaseki, having defected from the All Progressives Congress (APC) got a waiver of the PDP to join the race under its party.

    Meanwhile, a High Court of Justice in the Ekpoma judicial division on Tuesday restrained the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from excluding Governor Godwin Obaseki and the other cleared aspirants from participating in the Edo State governorship primary.

    The court ordered that the PDP and the electoral umpire should not exempt any of the aspirants who have been cleared by the party from participating in the gubernatorial primary slated for the 25th June 2020.

  • Edo PDP: Obaseki, other cleared aspirants get green light for primary

    Edo PDP: Obaseki, other cleared aspirants get green light for primary

    Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki has been given a reprieve after a High Court of Justice in the Ekpoma judicial division today restrained the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from excluding Governor Godwin Obaseki and the other cleared aspirants from participating in the Edo State governorship primary.

    According to the court order, the PDP and the electoral umpire should not exempt any of the aspirants who have been cleared by the party from participating in the gubernatorial primary election scheduled to hold on the 25th June 2020.

    This decision as of now guarantees the participation of Governor Godwin Obaseki in the gubernatorial primary.

    Recall that earlier today, there were reports in the media that indicated a Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State had on Monday stopped Obaseki from participating in the June 25 governorship primary of the party in the state.

    A PDP member, Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, had filed an ex parte motion, praying the court to bar Obaseki from taking part in the primary.