Tag: Road Projects

  • Yule travel boost: FG temporarily opens Bodo–Bonny Road to ease movement

    Yule travel boost: FG temporarily opens Bodo–Bonny Road to ease movement

    Photo credit: The Punch

    2025-12-22 09:00:00

    According to *The Punch*, the Federal Government has temporarily opened the Bodo–Bonny Road corridor to ease movement for residents during the yuletide period, offering partial relief on a long-awaited route.

    The opening is being framed as a humanitarian and economic lift for communities whose travel and commerce have been constrained for years by difficult terrain and limited road access.

    Authorities say the temporary access is meant to improve safety and reduce travel bottlenecks, even as construction continues toward full completion.

    For residents and businesses, the real benefit is time-cost: faster transport can lower prices of goods, shorten emergency response times, and improve local trade flow.

    A Ministry of Information/official government release described the road as “temporarily opens, connecting communities and commerce,” while *The Guardian (Nigeria)* also reported the project as a major yuletide milestone and quoted the framing around safer travel on the legacy route.

    **Echotitbits take:** Temporary openings are good headlines—but the public will judge by durability. Watch the restrictions (hours/vehicle types), security presence, and whether the final completion timeline holds in early 2026.

    Source: The Punch — December 22, 2025 (https://punchng.com/fg-opens-bodo-bonny-road-ahead-of-yuletide/)

  • ICPC Tracks 760 Road Projects for Possible Abandonment

    ICPC Tracks 760 Road Projects for Possible Abandonment

    The ICPC says it is monitoring 760 road projects across Nigeria to determine status, curb abandonment and strengthen accountability in capital-project delivery.

    The move signals tougher scrutiny of contract performance and value-for-money outcomes in public infrastructure.

    Source: Punch2025-12-08

  • Nigerian Govt okays N813b for road, water projects, explains Ogoni cleanup delay

    Nigerian Govt okays N813b for road, water projects, explains Ogoni cleanup delay

    Nigeria’s Federal Executive Council (FEC), chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday approved a number of projects including the change of scope for the construction of the Abuja-Kaduna-Kano highway from N155b to N797.2b and a N10.4b for the procurement of fire fighting vehicles and equipment for the Federal Fire Service.

    Also, for provision of potable water across the four Ogoni council areas of Rivers State, Gokana, Khana, Eleme and Tai, FEC approved the sum of N6b.

    FEC’s approval was confirmed by the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola in Abuja, adding that the road, hitherto undergoing renovation, would be completely reconstructed, thereby changing the cost of the project from N155b to N797.2b.

    The Minister said: “I presented one memorandum and one report with respect to the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano highway, which was to change the scope of work from rehabilitation previously awarded because parts of the pavement had deteriorated, to full reconstruction of two lanes on both sides.

    “The council considered and approved the request for the change of scope and the incidental cost consequence, which changed the existing contract for N155b to N797.2b for full reconstruction of the main carriageway, trailer parks, way bridges, toll stations and additional side lanes in the built-up areas across the FCT, Niger Kaduna and Kano states, served by the road and FEC approved it for the same contractor.”

    According to Fashola, rehabilitated roads, which would soon be handed are the Benin-Asaba, Abuja-Lokoja, Kano-Katsina, Onitsha-Aba, Sagamu-Benin, Kano-Maiduguri, Enugu-Port Harcourt, Ilorin-Jebba and Lagos-Badagry highways.

    Likewise, Fashola’s counterpart in the Ministry of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola said: “The council considered and approved N10.4b to cover the supply of 44 firefighting engines, 15 water tankers, 15 rapid intervention fire engines to respond to distressed calls.

    “The approval also covers the supply of 20 basic life support ambulances. So, we are looking at 79 firefighting equipment and support vehicles.”

    While assuring that the procurement of the vehicles would enhance the capacity of the Federal Fire Service to effectively control and manage fire emergencies, Aregbesola called on State Governments to also equip their fire services, noting that operations of the Federal Fire Service would be complimented in those states.

    The sum of N353.2m was released to the Ministry for the purpose of deploying integrated real time data repository equipment for the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) Headquarters, Abuja, among others.

    In the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, a N2.1b contract for the design, development, deployment and management of the National Social Investment Management System for the National Social Investment Programme was approved by FEC.

    Minister Sadiya Umar Farouk who made this known said the contract, which is to be completed within 24 months, will tackle sundry issues in the operations of N-Power, N-SIP, National Cash Transfer, and National Home-Grown School Feeding programmes.

    “We are starting with N-Power, which is immediate. Afterwards, we will add other clusters of the National Social Investment Programme into the platform. Council has approved and we will go ahead,” she said.

    Also speaking FEC’s deliberation on the Ogoni clean up that has always generated public sentiment, Minister of the Environment, Mahmud Mohammad, said the FEC meeting recalled that the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) was commissioned in 2016 for the cleanup but impacted areas based on UNEP report.

    “We have had some delays when we came to assess the project and we went to Geneva, met with UNEP that designed the project, conducted the studies and made recommendations for the cleanup of Ogoniland,” he said.

  • Nigeria: Project Contractors in Ekiti State Assured of Security

    Nigeria: Project Contractors in Ekiti State Assured of Security

    The Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi has assured contractors and workers working on various project sites in the State of adequate security, stressing that the security networks across the sites have been improved and expanded to guarantee their safety.

    The Governor who disclosed this during an inspection tour of all road projects across the State on Wednesday, said all ongoing road projects would be completed and delivered within the stipulated deadlines.

    The road projects visited by the Governor in company of the Commissioner for Works and Transport and the project monitoring team are the dual carriage new Ado-Iyin road, Aramoko-Erinjiyan-Ikogosi road, of Ado-Ilawe-Igbaraodo-Ibuji road; Agbado-Ode-Isinbode-Omuo road; Ilupeju-Ire_Igbemo-Ijan road and Oye-Iye-Ikun road.

    The Governor who expressed satisfaction over the quality of work done in the places visited disclosed that the expertise, technicality, and materials deployed in the construction of the new Ado-Iyin road would make it last for a period of thirty years without damage.

    He said; “We are just getting along with our work. We will deliver it just as we have promised our people.

    “You can see yourself, look at the stone base, it is almost a foot and you are still going to have two layers of asphalt on top of this stone base. It tells you that this road will go on for a period of thirty years without any damage.

    “I am sure you noticed some difference in security arrangement because we want those that are working to be safe and secured. We have improved and expanded the security network around here.”

    Also the Director of the Company handling the rehabilitation of Ado-Ilawe-Igbaraodo-Ibuji road, Mr. Folorunso Omoya disclosed that the Governor approved the construction of drainages along the roads to forestall flooding and ensure the durability of the road.

    Mr. Omoya said the rehabilitation of the roads and construction of drainages were carried out according to the technical specification issued by the State Ministry of Works, assuring that the road would stand the test of time.

    He said; “Mr. Governor approved the job and we are have done the job in accordance to specifications and I believe the governor was satisfied.

    “It was just rehabilitation but of course water was disturbing the road at many locations even at points where we don’t expect. The governor has approved that drainages be constructed at some points in accordance with technical specifications from the Ministry of Works and we have done exactly that.

    “Ado to Ilawe to Igbaraodo to Ibuji, all the problem at the location has been tackled and we believed that the road will stand the test of time”.

    The Governor was accompanied on the inspection by the Commissioner for Works and Transport Mr. Sola Adebayo, the Special Adviser on Road Infrastructure and Transport, Mr. Sunday Adunmo, and other Government officials from the Ministry of Works and Transportation.

  • Ogun: Governor Abiodun assures of completing ‘abandoned road projects’ 

    Ogun: Governor Abiodun assures of completing ‘abandoned road projects’ 

    The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has assured the people of the State that his Administration would continue to ensure the prompt completion of projects that were left uncompleted by the immediate past administration, adding that the present Administration sees road infrastructure as the pillar of government.

    Prince Dapo Abiodun, who made this known while speaking to newsmen shortly after rounding off an inspection tour of work done on the Panseke- Adigbe Road, said that it was important for his Administration to ensure that people coming to work in the State do that without having to go through the pain of bad and hazardous roads. He added that his Administration would continue to prioritise the issue of roads across the State.

    “We see road infrastructure as an essential component of development. We have prioritised the issue of roads across the length and breadth of the State, and this is one of the roads we are doing.

    “This Panseke-Adigbe Road was awarded by the previous administration but was not funded. When i came here when the bridge at Opako collapsed, I promised that this road would be completed. What we are doing here today and across the State is a fufillment of our promise,” he said.

    Abiodun further explained that aside the Panseke-Adigbe Road project left uncompleted by the previous administration, the current Administration is currently working on Ijebu Ode-Epe Road; Oba Erinwole Road, Hospital Road in Sagamu; Elite and Lafenwa-Rounda roads. He added that his Administration is focusing on all the access roads that are State roads.

    The Governor, who also disclosed that the major reason why his Administration is focusing on access roads that belong to the State was to use their completion to bring people in with ease, added that the total rebranding of the Abeokuta-Sagamu Road was to ensure that people coming into the State through the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway continue to enjoy a pleasurable ride down to the State Capital after the completion of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

    “We have started the Sagamu-Abeokuta Road, and it will be pointless for the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway to be completed and then investors enjoy a pleasurable ride all the way from Lagos, Ibadan or the East without any issue, then the journey between Interchange and Abeokuta becomes a nightmare. So we have started on that road. If not for the pandemic, we would have completed it,” he said.

    Abiodun, who also explained that his Administration has enlisted another set of roads which are to be completed across the State, stated that the Administration is poised to ensure that people are able to move within, in and out the State with ease.

    Earlier, the General Project Manager, CCECC, Ogun State, Sewell Zhao said that the plan was to finish the section between the NNPC and Kuto bridges as soon as possible, adding that the company hopes to finish the stretch of the road, putting in mind the financial support the present Administration has given them so far.

    In their separate responses, residents and users of the Panseke road, Collins Anozie and Mrs Aremo Oluwatoyin commended the Administration of Prince Dapo Abiodun for bringing to a halt the suffering they have experienced on the road in the last one year, urging the Governor to continue the good work work he has started across the State.

    Photos: