Tag: nigeria

  • UN suspends 2 employees caught in viral sex video

    UN suspends 2 employees caught in viral sex video

    The United Nations says has suspended two male employees involved in a recent viral sex video in Israel.

    The international agency’s decision was disclosed by the spokesman for the Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, in a note sent to UN correspondents in New York on Thursday.

    Dujarric said both employees had been identified and placed on “Administrative Leave Without Pay” pending the conclusion of ongoing investigation into the allegation.

    The video, which surfaced online last week, had a couple apparently having sex on the back seat of a UN official car in Tel Aviv.

    On Friday, Dujarric told correspondents that the organisation was “shocked and deeply disturbed” by the footage, and that investigation had been launched.

    He confirmed that the video featured a 4×4 vehicle, containing personnel “likely assigned to the UN Truce Supervision Organisation (UNTSO)” headquartered in Jerusalem.

    The short video shows a white woman in a red dress straddling an equally white man in the back seat of the white SUV bearing the “UN” inscription.

    With them in the moving vehicle were the driver and a bald-head man sitting on the passenger side, in front.

    Media reports say the footage was recorded on HaYarkon Street, a major thoroughfare in Tel Aviv, Israeli capital.

    The UN spokesman said in Thursday’s note that the investigation was being handled by the UN Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS).

    He said: “Two male international staff members, who were in the UN vehicle in Tel Aviv have been identified as having engaged in misconduct, including conduct of sexual nature.

    “Given the seriousness of the allegation of failing to observe the standards of conduct expected of international civil servants, the two staff members have been placed on Administrative Leave Without Pay.

    “This is pending the results and conclusion of the ongoing OIOS investigation.

    “UNTSO has re-engaged in a robust awareness-raising campaign to remind its personnel of their obligations to the UN Code of Conduct.

    “The OIOS investigation continues, and we will keep you informed,” he said.

    According to the organisation, UNTSO is the first ever peacekeeping mission established by the UN in 1948.

    It says the mission comprises military observers to monitor ceasefires, supervise armistice agreements and prevent military escalation.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that sexual misconduct is not new among employees of the global body.

    In 2019, the UN said it received and investigated 175 allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against its staff.

    Out of the total, 16 were substantiated, 15 unsubstantiated and all others still being investigated.

    • NAN
  • Misconduct: President Buhari suspends NSITF Director, 11 top officials

    Misconduct: President Buhari suspends NSITF Director, 11 top officials

    President Muhammadu Buhari has suspended indefinitely the Managing Director and Chief Executive of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF), Mr Adebayo Somefun.

    The decision of the President was contained in a statement on Thursday from the Head of Press and Public Relations at the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Charles Akpan.

    Other 11 top officials of the agency affected include Jasper Azuatalam (Executive Director, Finance and Investment), Olukemi Nelson (Executive Director, Operations), and Tijani Sulaiman (Executive Director, Administration).

    Others are Olusegun Bashorun (General Manager, Administration/Human Resources/Maintenance), Lawan Tahir (General Manager, Finance), Chris Esedebe (General Manager, Claims and Compensation), Olodotun Adegbite (Deputy General Manager, Investment and Treasury Management), and Emmanuel Sike (Deputy General Manager, Finance and Accounts).

    Also affected by the suspension are Olutoyin Arokoyo (Deputy General Manager/Acting Head, Legal), Dorathy Tukura (Deputy General Manager, Administration), and Victoria Ayantuga (Assistant General Manager, Internal Audit).

    According to the statement, their suspension from office arose from the preliminarily established prima facie infractions on the extant Financial Regulations and Procurement Act, and other acts of gross misconduct.

    It said, “During the period of their suspension, the suspended officers are to face a Joint Board and Audit Investigative Panel that has been set up to look into the financial and procurement breaches, as well as gross misconduct in the NSITF for periods of 2016 to date, which have invariably put the Contributions of stakeholders in a perilous state.

    “The affected officers have also been directed to hand over to the most senior officers in their respective departments.

    “The Executive Directors are, therefore, to hand over to the most senior general managers, while the managing director will hand over to the most senior officer in the Fund.”

    Thereafter, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, directed the Regional General Manager in charge of the Ibadan Region, Temitope Akinwale, to take charge as General Manager in charge of Finance and to concurrently oversee the Office of the Executive Director of Finance and Investment as the acting Executive Director.

    He also asked the Regional General Manager in charge of Port Harcourt Region, Maureen Allagoa, to move to NSITF Headquarters as General Manager in charge of Administration, Human Resources and Maintenance, and to concurrently oversee the Office of the Executive Director of Administration as acting Executive Director.

    Ngige also directed the General Manager of Administration and Maintenance, Baba Kabir, to move to the Enforcement Department while concurrently overseeing the office of the Executive Director of Operations in an acting capacity.

    He asked the General Manager of the Health, Safety and Environment Department, Dr Kelly Nwagha, to assume the position of acting Managing Director/Chief Executive, as the most senior General Manager in the Fund.

    “All the appointments are with effect from Monday, July 6, 2020, and will last until further notice.

    “The Honourable Minister has also charged the Chairman of the Board, Mr Austin Isire, FCA; FCII; to take charge, in order to ensure that the Investigative Panel commences work as soon as possible and for the Board to facilitate the smooth running of the Fund by creating the enabling environment and all the necessary staff adjustments and movements, in order to guarantee that services by staff to the Contributors do not in any way suffer,” the statement added.

  • APC: There is no fight to reconcile – Tinubu tells Buni

    APC: There is no fight to reconcile – Tinubu tells Buni

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, on Thursday night declared that there were no differences to be sorted out in the party.

    This declaration was made shortly after a closed door meeting with Gov. Mai Mala Buni, Chairman of the APC Caretaker Committee, who led other committee members to Tinubu’s Bourdillon Residence in Ikoyi, Lagos.

    The former Governor of Lagos State, who recently reacted to the decisions of President Buhari-led meeting of the APC’s National Working Committee (NWC) by affirming his relationship with the President said: ”We have no differences to be sorted out in the APC, we just had consultation and it is how our party, the APC, would continue to be a progressive party,” he said.

    According to him, the committee is a consultation and not reconciliation committee since nobody is fighting anybody.

    “There is no crisis in the party, hence, no fight to reconcile.

    ”There are instances when you disagree, but it doesn’t mean that you cannot discuss it over and be a good example in leadership and politics,” Tinubu said.

    The former Lagos State governor also said that politics without seeming media crisis would be less interesting.

    ”But the question is, are we committed to building this party and Nigeria? That is what we are all about.

    ”We are steering the ship of our nation and our party in the right direction,” Tinubu said.

    He said that the party leadership had trust and respect for the chairman of the caretaker committee and would support him to succeed for the party to continue in its progressive governance of the country.

    The committee chairman, who led other members to the meeting, said that the meeting was part of ongoing consultations.

    ”You know the task before us is daunting, and we need guidance, experience and prayers from our leaders,” Buni said.

    The host Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, expressed his pleasure to have his colleagues in the state.

    ”It’s been a very fruitful discussion we have had here this evening,” Sanwo-Olu said.

    Other members of the committee in attendance included the Chairman of Progressive Governor’s Forum, Gov. Abubakar Atiku Bagudu; Secretary of Caretaker Committee, APC, Sen. James Akpan Udo-Edehe and Niger State Governor, Alhaji Abubakar Bello.

    Photos:

  • Ize-Iyamu: Alleged N700m case against APC Edo guber candidate adjourned

    Ize-Iyamu: Alleged N700m case against APC Edo guber candidate adjourned

    Trial of Pastor, Osagie Ize-Iyamu and four others in an alleged fraud case has been adjourned till July 7 by a Federal High Court sitting in Benin, on Thursday.

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) a Governorship candidate of the in the September 19 contest for the seat of Edo Governor, Ize-Iyamu and four other accused are standing trial for charges bordering on an alleged N700 million money laundering case filed against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

    Ize-Iyamu and four others were supposed to appear on Thursday before Justice M.G. Umar today, Thursday.

    According to Premium Times, there was no court sitting, but it was observed that some of the defendants and counsels were around the premises.

    Premium Times further reported that while speaking to journalists, counsel to one of the accused, Barrister Pascal Ugbomhe, said the case had been adjourned till July 7.

    While It was reported that the counsel did not specify the reason why the court sitting was adjourned, Ugbomhe said, “it is a normal occurrence in court duties. It’s nothing unusual to adjourn matters.

    In its last sitting in Benin on June 18, the court had validated the corruption charges against the defendants and adjourned the case to July 2, for further hearing.

    The four other defendants in the suit include former Edo State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Chairman, Dan Orbih; the state chairman of the party, Tony Aziegbemi; former Deputy Governor of Edo State Lucky Imasuen, and Efe Erimuoghae-Anthony.

    The EFCC, in Suit No. FHC/BE21C/ 2016, had filed eight count charges against the accused persons bordering on alleged illegal receipt of public funds to the tune of N700 million for the purpose of the 2015 general elections.

    The EFCC further accused the defendants of conspiring among themselves to commit the offence in March, 2015, alleging that they took possession and control of the funds without any contract award.

  • Full list: Oyegun, Oshiomhole among 49-man APC campaign council ‘arsenal’ for Edo

    Full list: Oyegun, Oshiomhole among 49-man APC campaign council ‘arsenal’ for Edo

    The All Progressives Congress (APC) under the National Chairman of the party’s Caretaker Committee, Mai Mala Buni is gearing up for the Edo 2020 Governorship election showdown in September 19.

    The party’s readiness is exhibited in the 49-man National Campaign Council that was announced earlier today, Thursday, by the party’s Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Mr Yekini Nabena in a statement in Abuja on Thursday.

    The membership of the campaign council, which comprises of five governors, the Deputy Senate President, past National chairmen of the party and members of the National Assembly is expected to lead the APC into the Edo Governorship election seeking nothing but victory against the incumbent, Governor Godwin Obaseki, who recently resigned to join the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)..

    List of Members below

    1. H.E. Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje – Chairman
    2. H.E. (Sen.) Hope Uzodinma – Deputy Chairman
    3. Sen. Ovie Omo-Agege – Member
    4. H.E. Inuwa Yahaya – Member
    5. H.E. Alh. Yahaya Bello – Member

    6.H.E. Babajide Sanwo-Olu – Member

    7.H.E. (Chief) John Odigie-Oyegun – Member

    1. H.E. Comrade Adams Oshiomhole – Member
    2. Sen. Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko – Member
    3. H.E. Sen. Godswill Akpabio – Member
    4. H.E. Sen. Orji Uzor Kalu – Member
    5. H.E. Sen. Owelle Roachas Okorocha – Member
    6. H.E. Timipre Sylva – Member
    7. H.E. Dr. Pius Odubu – Member
    8. Sen. Degi Eremiemyo Biobaraku – Member
    9. H.E. Prof. Oserheimen A. Osunbor – Member
    10. H.E. Emmanuel Eweta Uduaghan -Member
    11. Sen. John Owan Enoh – Member
    12. Rt. Hon. E.J. Agbonayiman – Member
    13. Engr. Babachir Lawal – Member
    14. Prince B.B. Apugo – Member
    15. Gen. Charles Airhiavbere – Member
    16. Hon. Peter Akpatason – Member
    17. Hon. Patrick Alsowleren – Member
    18. Hon. Johnson Oghuma – Member
    19. Hon. Prof. Julius Ihonvbere – Member
    20. Hon. Pally Iriase – Member
    21. Hon. Dennis Idahosa – Member
    22. Mrs. Rachel Akpabio – Member
    23. Mr. Bolaji Afeez – Member
    24. Engr. Gabriel Iduseri – Member
    25. Chief Cairo Ojougboh – Member
    26. Patrick Obahiagbon – Member
    27. Chief Ayiri Emami – Member
    28. Hon. Abubakar Adagu Suberu – Member
    29. Usman Nahuche – Member
    30. Engr. Chidi Orji – Member
    31. Dr. Almajiri Giadam – Member
    32. Sen. Sa’idu Umar Kumo – Member
    33. Chief Pius Akinyelure – Member
    34. Engr. Chris Ogiemwonyi – Member
    35. Chief Solomon Edebiri – Member
    36. Prof. Ebegue Amadasun – Member
    37. Hon. Saturday Uwulekue – Member
    38. Hon. Osaro Obaze – Member
    39. Chief Samuel Ogbuku – Member
    40. Miss. Rinsola Abiola – Member
    41. Theresa Tekenel – Member
    42. Hon. Abbas Braimoh – Member/Secretary
  • Edo Guber: Ganduje leads 49-member APC National Campaign Council

    Edo Guber: Ganduje leads 49-member APC National Campaign Council

    Ahead of the September 19 Governorship election in Edo state, the Governor of Kano State, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has been appointed head of a newly created 49-member APC National Campaign Council that is expected to lead the party to victory at the polls.

    The campaign council, which will be inaugurated on Monday, 6th July 2020 by the Mai Mala Buni-led Caretaker/Extra-Ordinary National Convention Planning Committee of the APC, has four state governors, the Deputy Senate President and two former National Chairmen of the party among others as members and Hon. Abbas Braimoh to serve as Secretary.

    APC’s Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena in a statement in Abuja on Thursday said the appointment of the council followed the approval of the National Chairman of the party’s Caretaker Committee, Mai Mala Buni.

  • Photos: President Buhari presides over Federal Executive Council meeting

    Photos: President Buhari presides over Federal Executive Council meeting

    Photos: President Buhari presides over a Virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council Meeting in State House on 1st July 2020

     

  • Happening now: Statue of Confederate General Jackson being removed – Photos

    Happening now: Statue of Confederate General Jackson being removed – Photos

    Statue of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson is being removed by crane in Richmond, Virginia.

    Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney on Wednesday ordered the immediate removal of all Confederate statues on city land, saying he was using his emergency powers to speed up the healing process for the former capital of the Confederacy amid weeks of protests over police brutality and racial injustice.

    Work crews began removing a statue of Gen. Stonewall Jackson early Wednesday afternoon. Flatbed trucks and other equipment were also spotted at several other Confederate monuments along Richmond’s famed Monument Avenue.

  • We will deal decisively with bandits – Army Chief, Buratai says

    We will deal decisively with bandits – Army Chief, Buratai says

    The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Yusuf Buratai says the Nigerian Army will collaborate with sister agencies to bring a decisive end to armed banditry in the North-west zone of the country.

    The Army Chief stated this at the commencement of this year’s Nigerian Army Day Celebration in Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State.

    General Buratai explained that the week-long event was being marked in Katsina State to boost the morale of frontline troops in the war against armed banditry in the North-west zone of the country.

    He said that President Muhammadu Buhari has issued a directive to the armed forces to extinguish the fires of banditry in the zone, through the ongoing ‘Operation Sahel Sanity’.

    He tasked the troops carrying out the operation under the ‘8 Division’ and the ’17 Brigade’ of the Nigerian Army to locate every bandits’ camp in the forest and deal with them decisively.

    The Army Chief assured communities across the five affected states that the army in collaboration with sister agencies would defeat armed banditry.

    “The troops will move into the bush and defeat them tactically, that is our mission, and that is what we want to achieve. Anything short of that will only prolong the security crises.” So we are determined to deal with them in the bush or wherever they are, even in the towns and cities. We will deal with them decisively,” Buratai reiterated.

    This year’s Nigerian Army Day Celebration has the theme “Nigeria’s Territorial Defence and Sovereignty: the Imperative for Nigerian Army’s Sustained Training and Operations”.

     

  • FG increases price of petrol to N143 amidst “toxic fuel” importation claim

    FG increases price of petrol to N143 amidst “toxic fuel” importation claim

    The Federal Government has increased the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), also known as petrol from N140.80 to N143.80 per litre.

    This increment was disclosed in a statement released on Wednesday by the Executive Secretary, Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA), Abdulkadir Saidu.

    “After a review of the prevailing market fundamentals in the month of June and considering marketers’ realistic operating costs, as much as practicable, we wish to advise a new PMS pump price band of N140.80 – N143.80 per litre for the month of July 2020,” the statement read.

    “All marketers are advised to operate within the indicative prices as advised by the PPPRA.”

    In April, the Federal Government had announced a reduction of the petrol pump to N123.50 per litre.

    This upward review in petrol price comes only hours after a UK based newspaper, The Guardian revealed that the petrol that Nigeria buys from Europe is dirty and harmful.

    According to laboratory analysis: “Black market fuel made from stolen oil in rudimentary “bush” refineries hidden deep in the creeks and swamps of the Niger Delta is less polluting than the highly toxic diesel and petrol that Europe exports to Nigeria”, the newspaper reported.